What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on, now- I haven't said anything about the complete, SFX free, RoTS you sent me....whoops. ;)

In the past couple of days I listened to Elfman's brilliant Mission:Impossible and Broughton's Tombstone.

But the most recent score I listened to today was Total Recall. Damn that's one fine score.

I listened to quite a few scores over the last few days. My complete re-edit for The Empire Strikes Back, the complete score for Starship Troopers and my complete edit for The Phantom Menace. and a couple of other scores too...

There is a complete Starship Troopers? I had no idea.

The DVD also has an isolated score.

Ya but then it's not really complete... it cuts off some unused music. You'd have to do some hunting for the full score which has unused music in it.

Listening to The Conversation for the second time since I got it with Baby. Overall, I like it. The piano material is very good, with a terrific main theme. The jazz ensemble cuts are terrific. The distortions and experimentations...not so much. Seeing the movie might help me to appreciate what's going on with it, but musically I don't really appreciate it. The middle of "Plumbing Problem" is particularly freaky. I would not advise listening to that at night. If you're really mean, you might set it up to wake someone up.

The explicitly musical segments of the CD are good jazz and piano music, but be wary of the weird stuff.

I'll have to listen to Baby again, but so far it's been really good; a worthy purchase, to be sure.

The Conversation's score is quite striking in the (excellent) film. I agree that the whole CD is not necasserily a great listening experience...but the two themes he has in there always get to me. The ultimate 'lonely man' score.

It's an album that's easy to get immersed in. I find it to be very soothing to play as I go to sleep, for some perverse reason.

It's an album that's easy to get immersed in. I find it to be very soothing to play as I go to sleep, for some perverse reason.

Couldn't've put it better myself. :joke: It's a masterpiece, really, and definitely my personal Zimmer favourite.

Sweeney Todd. I love it (though the final track is horribly out of order).

Some of the lyrics are hilarious as well, especially in "A Little Priest."

I can ignore the bad singing when watching the movie. But on the cd it's unlistenable. The original cast recording with Cariou and Landsbury is superior in every way.

I listened to quite a few scores over the last few days. My complete re-edit for The Empire Strikes Back, the complete score for Starship Troopers and my complete edit for The Phantom Menace. and a couple of other scores too...

Which I'm sure Vosk re-edited to take out all unused music. :P

I gave away my pressed Spacecamp CD years ago to a Conservative Christian bigot in the USA. Which should tell you something about my opinion on that score.

Bigot? :lol:

Main Entry:

big·ot Listen to the pronunciation of bigot

Pronunciation:

\ˈbi-gət\

Function:

noun

Etymology:

French, hypocrite, bigot

Date:

: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

— big·ot·ed Listen to the pronunciation of bigoted \-gə-təd\ adjective

— big·ot·ed·ly adverb

Sir, do you know this word?

Main Entry:

1li·bel Listen to the pronunciation of 1libel

Pronunciation:

\ˈlī-bəl\

Function:

noun

Etymology:

Middle English, written declaration, from Anglo-French, from Latin libellus, diminutive of liber book

Date:

14th century

1 a: a written statement in which a plaintiff in certain courts sets forth the cause of action or the relief sought barchaic : a handbill especially attacking or defaming someone2 a: a written or oral defamatory statement or representation that conveys an unjustly unfavorable impression b (1): a statement or representation published without just cause and tending to expose another to public contempt (2): defamation of a person by written or representational means (3): the publication of blasphemous, treasonable, seditious, or obscene writings or pictures (4): the act, tort, or crime of publishing such a libel

Also, it was a trade between friends as well. And I was entirely thankful for. But this is how you treat me? Maybe you should look in the mirror the next time you call someone that. Thanks, bud. :)

As for last score I listened to: Mostly Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, though I, II, and III some too.

The final track isn't out of order. The album is missing the finale thats what makes it seem out of order. It really is a horrible release.

Right, my bad.

I can ignore the bad singing when watching the movie. But on the cd it's unlistenable. The original cast recording with Cariou and Landsbury is superior in every way.

The singing sounds fine to me.

Some of the great lyrics:

"For what's the sound of the world, my dear?

The crunching noises pervading the air?

It's man devouring man, out there

And who are we to deny it in here?"

-----

"The history of the world, my love

Is those below serving those up above

How gratifying for once to know

That those above will serve those down below!"

Come on now....has it ever happened that a fan of the broadway version liked the vocals in the film version as much? The singing is not bad. Not at all. But trying to convince you of this would be like you trying to convince me that the movie version of Evita is superior to the original.

What I mean to say is they chould have chosen actors who can actually sing. Something they did for the most part in Chicago. Johnny Depp is bearable, but Bonham Carter is a disgrace. She just can't carry a tune.

Oh, yes she can. I find her to be quite charming as Mrs. Lovett, and her voice is a perfect match for the film, and wonderful on the album. I think the actors did a fantastic job, gave good performances, and sang appropriatly and quite listenably. The only thing I can compare it to at this point is the 1982 taped show...and it's not fair to judge a show or play based on a filmed live performance.

I will never assume you've proven me wrong!

And I can't say I really care....if it's a filmed play, there's very little chance that it will impress. I just need to get the original cast album one of these days.

I will never assume you've proven me wrong!

... And then you drop a juicy bomb like this?:

if it's a filmed play, there's very little chance that it will impress.

Now, come on.

I have rarely seen a filmed play (I mean literally, not a flimsy adaptation) that was good. The performers are simply not calibrated to a home audience. Angela Lansberry came off quite badly in the one I saw on youtube. Nothing to do with the quality of her performance, just that she was projecting for a theater audience. Two different mediums. What works on stage doesn't work on screen, and vise-versa.

To humor you, mostly. I will just have to live with the fact that I was exposed to the movie first, and that formed my image of Todd. If I liked a musical in one form, I have never found myself liking it in another form as much.

Now that I've completely alienated my family with the Superman box set I figure it's time to move on to another score so I've been giving Goldsmith's Baby a listen.

Star Wars: A New Hope (that's the name I grew up with, so don't flame me). The sound may be traditional, but I still maintain this is one of the most inventive and original major scores ever written. Such pure brilliance.

Other than Indy and Sweeney, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. There's a ton of great underscore I hadn't noticed before. A great Elfman soundtrack!

Die Another Day. Worst Bond score ever, I loved it!

Nah, it has its moments. The song, however, is definitelly the worst.

The worst Bond's score is Goldeneye, even though I seem to enjoy the moody, industrial feel and find love theme quite good. I also hate Conti's lighthearted action writing from FYEO and Hamlish's BeeGees-like tracks in TSWLM

Michael Kamen's Band of Brothers one his best scores. Absolutely beautiful. Kamen's orchestrations here are simply superb and the atmosphere, themes and tone form a world of their own.

Jerry Goldsmith's BABY - great synths

Ryan Shore's HEADSPACE - boy can this boy write good music. Watch out Michael Giacappucino.