John Williams in New York

JWfangirl1992

It's ok,any self respecting JWfan cries during the end of E.T.

Nice, Mark - I couldn't have said it better.

I'm so upset that I couldn't get away from work to attend the concert; but, I'm glad that you guys enjoyed it! I have only ever attended one JW concert (last fall in Chicago - and I LOVED it).

Thanks fo much for the reviews guys - please post whatever pictures you have available... I'm experiencing the event vicariously through you guys!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame there aren't many JWFans from California. I loved the Hollywood Bowl performance. That concert led me to buy Far And Away.

Also, is the Tribute to Leonard Bernstein the same as 'For New York'?

I cried a couple of times....When he first came out i was like YAYYAYAYAYAY!!!! During E.T. I had them in my eyes, and during the opening of Star Wars they fell. It felt like Speildberg kept looking at me. Maybe he's not used to seeing thirteen year olds cry at Williams concerts. It still was absoulutely amazing!!!!

0218_williams.jpg

0219_williams.jpg

0220_williams.jpg

0221_williams.jpg

0222_williams.jpg

After an intermission that seemed way too long (that first part was about 1 hour but I already wanted more) the Maestro came back on stage and opened the second part of the concert with something not on the program, the “Main Theme” from Jaws as heard on the Williams/Spielberg collaboration CD. It was brilliantly executed and got quite a reaction from the audience, then the composer introduced the filmmaker.

Steven Spielberg in turn introduced “Close Encounters” telling the crowd a few anecdotes about the making of the movie, the score and how important Williams’ music is important to this movie. The piece was as heard on the “By Request” album and was as amazing as in 2004.

The next item on the program was “Out to sea/Shark Fugue” from Jaws and once again Spielberg regaled the audience with stories of going out of his mind because of his broken shark and the power of suggestion of John Williams’ score. This was the only time in the concert I felt the Philharmonic wasn’t completely up to snuff. It wasn’t terrible but there were definitely some uncertainties in the brass section. Still totally magical.

Then came the first magical moment of the concert “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade” with introduction by the director.

Now some might argue that this in fact was seen on PBS in “Evening at Pops” but instead of John Williams doing the whole walk through of the scene without the score Steven Spielberg just took over that first part. But what really floored me was that the New York Philharmonic did it without a click track or visual cues… And they didn’t miss a beat! Completely, totally magical! The audience went wild and gave a standing ovation although as pointed by an earlier review the projection of the scene the first time during Spielberg’s comments was glitchy.

Spielberg said of the next piece that it was his favorite John Williams’ composition: “Schindler’s List” with a very moving performance by Glenn Dicterow at the violin.

Finally came the second magical moment of the concert and it brought me to tears. “Finale from E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial” with film. I’ve expressed my frustration in the first part of this review with screen content earlier that was not necessarily related to what was taking place with the orchestra and how it seemed a little gratuitous, but after a brief introduction from Steven Spielberg, we were treated to the full last 15 minutes of E.T. with sound effects and the Philharmonic again doing the high wire number with no safety net. Magical, moving. The audience went crazy and gave a standing ovation.

End of the brilliant second part.

Williams and Spielberg walk off the stage. After a couple of minutes Williams comes back and call Spielberg back on stage to thank him in front of the audience and announce the first encore: “A Prayer for peace” from Munich. Again as moving as the “Schindler’s List” performance.

He gets another standing ovation walks out. Then come back pick up the microphone and says “That’s right George Lucas is not here, but we’re going to play it anyway” and there goes “Star Wars – Main Title” just like in 2004. Standing ovation, he walks off then comes back.

The third encore was “To Lenny! To Lenny!” Written for Leonard Bernstein's 70th birthday it is based on New York New York from "On The Town" and America from "West Side Story". In 2004 it was the first encore and he pointed out at the time that he didn't remember ever playing it in a concert. Well I guess that’s at least twice now. He walks off the stage then comes back for

Fourth encore NBC news – Mission theme. Long version of the NBC News theme as heard on the “By Request” album.

Time to go to bed.

Overall I did enjoy this concert a lot more than 2004. The philharmonic was very much at ease with the Herrmann material and they were so much more comfortable with John Williams’ work. Scorsese and Spielberg were definitely a plus and really entertained the audience…

I'.m goign back on Wednesday ;)

Cool pics Vince ;)

Oh, and it's hard to see from the video Vince provided, because Spielberg's arm (which is holding a large blue folder that contains his speech) is blocking it, but he's giving Williams a big wet kiss on the cheek. At first they just shook hands, then Spielberg wraped his arm around his neck and pulled him down to deliver that sign of love.

Tim

I was also at the concert last night.

I know, I know long time no show.

Suffice it to say I've been REALLY busy lately and haven't had much of a chance to post here or anywhere or do much of anything.

Been working my new chemist job and its REALLY time consuming.

Anyway, the show last night was stunning, I was particularly enthralled because not only did I finally get to see the Maestro himself John Williams perform in person but I also got to see Speilberg and Scorcese there as well.

I honestly had no idea the other two legendary filmakers were even planning to show up.

The first part of the show was compelling but not engrossing. I am not a big fan of Bernard Hermann's work. I recognise his immense talent as a composer and acknowledge his profound contrubutions to the medium of film music, but I have just never been as captivated by his music as some other composers.

The 2nd half for me was a real treat.

I especially loved the segment where Speilberg showed that clip from Indy 3 without the music first and described all the little cues and how Williams so perfectly taillored his music to practically every single shot.

The pinnacle of the show for me was (OF COURSE) finally getting to here John do his mythic SW theme. Now I can die in peace. I was kind of aggravated during his other encores he did some other trivial pieces like West Side Story and such that seemed totally malapropos to the event and his music.

I was clamoring for Superman or Jurassic Park but to no avail, but alas the mere moments of seeing John work his magic in person was more than enough. To tell you the truth even more than 24 hours later I am still overhwhlemed and find myself totally nonplussed. Nearly speechless after all of these years to have finally been graced by the prescence of the master himself.

Anyway, that is all for now. I'll be back later.

Good to see the familar faces are still around.

BTW I tried to see if I could spot any of you guys from your pictures I've seen previously on this forum. No such luck ......

EXCEPT for a guy I saw across the auditorium that I could have friggin sworn was Neil.

Hey everyone. I just found this site looking for reviews from Monday's concert. My review for the show can be found on the main page of Spielbergfilms.com.

I was also wondering if anyone had any photo/video/audio from the performance. My email is Pettit006@yahoo.com. Anything would be appreciated!

Great photos and video, vincehardy! Thanks for sharing them with us. You're much braver than I... I've always wanted to take pictures but I'm scared to death of being kicked out of the theater.

I can't wait until this year's Hollywood Bowl concert :)

No, I actually I'd like to say thank you to this great site that have been giving me so much over the years (I'm one of them lurkers you know). Just glad I can give some back.

I need a runway outside my house here in Wales, UK with a supersonic jet fueled up and ready! God why didn't I go? Uncle John and Uncle Steve putting on a show? :cry:

Oh yeah, then I'd need a ticket :cry:

It felt like Speildberg kept looking at me. Maybe he's not used to seeing thirteen year olds cry at Williams concerts.

how close were you to spielberg?

Row W seat 112, I'm gonna remember that forever.

Wow, it sounds like an amzing night. Lucky censored ! ;)  John please, come to Europe!

Yeah Williams should come to Europe. I want to see him perform!

I am happy that some of you got to see him in NY. You are so lucky.

It felt like Speildberg kept looking at me. Maybe he's not used to seeing thirteen year olds cry at Williams concerts.

how close were you to spielberg?

Row W seat 112, I'm gonna remember that forever.

Well that doesnt really tell me how close you were to Stevie. Would prefer it in feet and inches. :P Anyway I guess it was pretty close assuming that the back rows start with A? :)

Man, I can't die without having a night such as this one.

Same here! Johnny! Dont die/stop composing/stop conducting concerts for another 50 years!

I was in the preferred orchestra section (lower level and to the left side of the stage if you're facing it) row S, seats 21 and 23 (my pops was with me). So I was 19 rows from the front and on a slight angel, so I could see everything perfectly, I could see the hosts interacting with John (they were positioned with a standing microphone on his left when conducting) and I could see his little TV monitor when conducting with film, and I could see his wooden clock sitting by his feet. Great seats, and they better be for what I paid! :)

Tim

I was wondering what that clock was for, but anyway I was kind of far but not very. Probably at the most 15 rows from the stage I think.

Just a guess, but it's not a clock that's there so he can keep track of how much time he's taking, but he's been brought up in the traditional scoring world, where the conductors all conducted based on the timing of seconds to the beat ratio and such. It's very difficult, but it's the reason why williams uses click tracks for the orchestra members in extreme cases. Most of the music you hear on his CD's is done just as it was at that concert: with the musicians blind so to speak. They rely just on him to be able to time everything correctly. So he was just conducting that Indiana Jones segment like he would on the recording stage: using a clock.

Quite the skill to learn. I'm hoping to learn how to do that kind of syncronization someday.

The concert sounds great everyone. I wish I could have come. Thanks for all your time to type these up!

~JW