Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds

pixie_twinkle

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I have it.....though I have not been able to savour the SACD version, the UK release is a hybrid and I can at least tell you that, from a "plain old stereo" point of view, it has been worth the wait.....

The re-mastering of the "plain old" stereo version this time is spot-on - so much better then the 20th anniversary set, and my one niggle in track one has almost been eliminated entirely.....

This is the version to own, IMHO...

That "Ulla" is so funny.

FUNNY? 8O

As a small kid listening to that in total darkness in bed wearing headphones twice the size of my head at the time (well, that's an exaggeration) that "Ulla" was not funny. It was scary, and still creeps me out. I forever thank Richard Burton for knocking the extremely irritating priest out though - "It's no use....We're all doomed.. :cry: ....didn't i tell you? :( you wouldn't listen. :| ..now we're gonna". "WHACK (thud)....Shut it, muppet :) ". I still love Jeff Wayne's (who incidentally has the initials = JW) War of the Worlds. "Come on thunderchild...you can do it....yeeaaah. :mrgreen: (ZAP) 8O ...Oh...well, never mind aye...you did your best.. :| ..ahem!!

Melange - Ullllaaaaaaaaahhhh Akbar (Arabic WOTW)

Btw, no i dont have the SACD Version. :oops:

The best moment for the Ulla for me was always the one on side 4 of the vinyl where they are dying and you hear the long drawn-out Uuuuulllllaaaaaa, it's really quite sad. There's a really scary one somewhere on side 2 or 3 as well, which pops up out of nowhere and scares the pants off you.

I bought the collector's edition, which features 6 cd's and 1 dvd:

http://www.thewaroftheworlds.com/news/news...tory.aspx?id=10

The making-off cd's are very interesting, and sometimes very funny (Burton messing up his lines and stuff). And although I don't have a SACD-equipment, the remastered version sounds breathtaking, great, beautiful, etc.

The best improvement was accomplished on The Red Weed (the ugly montages of the original LP are fixed), and I love those heavy accentuated strings during The Artilleryman And The Fighting Machine.

I just regret the fact that the harpsichord in the openingtrack is hardly audible anymore. Later on it comes more to the front though, so I guess they wanted to bring more variation to the instrumentation of the Eve of the War-theme.

Willy - who will always remain excited by Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds.

Mine was shipped a few days ago. Still not arrived though. I'm very encouraged by Willy's post, although a little alarmed by the news about the harpsichord. On the vinyl version I love how the harpsichord comes in near the beginning adding frenzied motion to the famous Da Da Daaaa string theme. Oh well, I'll find out how it sounds for myself in a few days and post my thoughts then.