The Fellowship of the Ring COMPLETE RECORDINGS 3CD set

ST-321

Ugh...the album is amazing (just got it today), but I think my disc was pressed incorrectly.

My primary method of music-listening is on my iPod, so I ripped all the tracks to my computer. No matter how many times I rip "The Nazgul", it keeps getting skips throughout the track. There are no scratches on the disc. I tried using a CD-wipe to wipe it off. Next, I'll try that "CD-Fixer" spray type stuff. If that doesn't work, I'll probably just mope for the next seventeen years.

Unexpectantly, I just saw this set in Free Record Store in Hoorn.

I've found an odd bit in track 12 on disc 1, "A Shortcut To Mushrooms", at 1:46. When the choir fades in in a very odd way. You can hear it very quietly in the distance first, then it suddenly stops and suddenly the voices are there in full force. Smells like another edit.  

This bit was longer on the OST as well.

Actually this sounds very much like the it appears in the film.

I'm pretty sure it's not an error, just a difference in the mix, or it's an alternate performance.

I've only listened to the first disc and already noticed that many of the OST tracks are different then what they used in the film.

OK.

After listening to this yesterday and letting it sink in:

This is an outstanding release, well worth the wait and the money.

The package is perhaps slightly cheesy, but looks durable enough and will sit nicely on my shelf.

Some people (on FSM) have complained about the way the DVD is mounted but I actually aprove, it's very easy to remove and place back without any risk of damaging the disc or packaging. Better then the sleeve approach used on other "special" packages like the deluxe SW SE's or The Lost World.

The booklet is emaculate, highly detailed yet not to technical, with occasional handy annotation for the less "musically" learned.

The extra info in the free PDF is also a gem that rounds it all off very nicely (Will the actual book be even more detailed then what we have now????)

Now for the music itself.

Well what can I say, this is a outstanding score, and in it's complete forms very listenable. (though if you want to listen to the whole thing at once you will need to clear your agenda)

Listening to it I was amazed that I knew many "unreleased" sections already so well that I was able to hum along with them.

Ruminations

These are not complaints, just things that I noticed.

Several of the cues used for the OST CD were different takes as to what was used in the film, and thus ending up in this CD set.

Having listened to the OST CD for so many times and having that music inprinted in my memory means that hearing a slightly different version of the same music kinda feels like something is off in some way.

This release has a somewhat different soundmix then the OST (it's a bit less dense), so even when the music used in the OST is identical to what is used on this set, it has a slightly different sound to it.

I've already seen some people calling these things "screw ups", but they are really not, just differences.

There has been some discussion of FSM regarding a possible edit or fault in the Balin's Tomb track, but if it is there, I did not catch it.

Supposedly some 40 seconds of material was edited out.

I never noticed any "odd" edits or anything like that, so it's been done very well.

The end credits.

While it's certainly listenable, there are some problems with it (IMO)

First we get the humming version of In Dreams, it's nice, but it already appears in the actual In Dreams song as background music to Edward Ross' singing, so It's repeated material.

They seemed to have fixed the volume problem for May It Be, on the OST it's mixed louder then the rest of the score, causing clipping when listening to it on headphones at a high volume (something I had to fix when I uploaded the OST to my iPod).

I miss the gorgeous sting piece that leads into May It Be, and might attempt a re-edit at some point.

The final portion of the End Credits re-uses music from "Lothlorien", I didn't need that.

A lot of things have been said about not including music that was exclusive to the theatrical version, or the music from the Fan Club credits.

After listening to this, I don't need them

This is already a MASSIVE amount of music, and it's gonna be the shortest release of the 3.

You can't really apply the phrase "less is more" to this release, but IMO leaving this material off is a good and very defendable descision.

Already there has been rumours of a supposedly fourth CD released of unreleased and unused material.

I highly doubt it, and I frankly do not see the point, at some point enough has got to be enough.

All in all this is a magnificent release.

Not 100% perfect, but neither are the people buying it.

**** out of **** stars.

Some people (on FSM) have complained about the way the DVD is mounted but I actually aprove, it's very easy to remove and place back without any risk of damaging the disc or packaging. Better then the sleeve approach used on other "special" packages like the deluxe SW SE's or The Lost World.

I'm glad someone else agrees with me on this one. I won't be using the DVD (no DVD-A and no sound system), but it fits snugly and isn't in a pocket. If I ever have a use for it someday, it'll be in primo condition.

And now for my thoughts (not as much a review, just a list of ruminations like Stefan's)...

Unlike most people, I'm entirely unfamiliar with the score outside of the OSTs. I never listened to any rips, and I haven't watched the movies many times. However, this score doesn't disappoint or bore me in any way. Fellowship has always been my favorite of the three scores. Brilliant stuff.

I've never noticed the light percussion behind what was once called "Concerning Hobbits." That's a really happy surprise for me. Even relistening to the OST version, I'm not sure if it's there. My mind may be playing tricks on me, but I'm now noticing a faint thump in the background. I know that's an alternate recording, so it may very well be percussion-less.

The tedium that was once to be found on the OST (regarding the Nazgul tracks) is all but gone, because the similar music has been cut with other, more diverse music. I'm finding, despite its length, that this release is a much better listening experience than even the OST. In fact (along with the Star Wars scores), this is one of the only "complete" release that I feel is better than its original album.

Maybe it is because I'm unfamiliar with the film edits, but I haven't noticed any "cuts" like the people on MovieMusic.com are talking about...

I was originally expecting to dislike the "singing" portions, but the music flows so well with each one that it's easy to see why Shore made that choice. The clapping at the end of "Many Miles To Go" was a little irksome, but nothing to be done about that (and at least the clapping isn't over any music).

If I had to pick a single complaint about this release, it would be about the transition between the bar song ("Many Miles To Go") and the next track, simply because it's the only place on the album that runs across two tracks. But still, if I have to make that ONE little edit, I'm fine. It's not nearly as iPod-unfriendly as the TPM Ultimate Edition or any number of film scores that suites across a large number of tracks.

Amazing release...I'm glad to see so much care went into it, and it was worth the wait. The wait for the next two will be...unbearable.

The following tracks on the original album contain alternate and/or unused material not on the box set:

1.The Prophecy - alternate prologue

2.Concerning Hobbits - theatrical version of cue

3.The Shadow of the Past - incomplete alternate of 'Riddles in the Dark', using 'The Pity of Gollum' instead of 'The History of the Ring'.

5.The Black Rider - alternate take

6.At the Sign of the Prancing Pony - alternate Isengard introduction (yet another version can be heard on the EE DVD menus)

8.Flight To The Ford - alternate take of Arwen's introduction

11.The Ring Goes South - theatrical middle section

12.A Journey in the Dark - theatrical version of opening section

13.The Bridge of Khazad Dum - complete recording of opening cue (0:00-1:05)

14.Lothlorien - excerpt of theatrical cue, plus the theatrical ending of 'The Mirror of Galadriel'.

15.The Great River - theatrical version of 'Farewell to Lorien'.

16.Amon Hen - theatrical version of Boromir's last stand.

17.The Breaking of the Fellowship - unused ending of 'In Dreams'.

Mine went half off and consequently ripped a bit of the paper to which it's attached when I first tried to take the DVD out. Ok, perhaps I pulled a bit harder than necessary, but I'm just to disc cases being robust enough to get the disc out without special care... And the knob is off center in my set, causing the DVD to hang in there somewhat lopsided because of the carton frame around it.

Sounds very promising. I was doubting this release at first, but now I'm certainly going to buy it.

Does anyone know when the complete scores to 'The Two Towers' and 'Return of the King' will be released? (Don't tell me the intervals will be as long as those between the movies...)

Fellowship of the Ring

Would someone be able to provide a list of tracks/segments from tracks, from alt recordings that were found on the original 1-disc OST and not on the 3-disc one.

Thanks,

~Sky

Almost all tracks have at least some portion that is an alternate recording from what they used in the film.

The Prophecy: a completely different track.

Concerning Hobbits: non of this recording is found on the 3 CD album

The Shadow of the Past: at least part of this is an alternate recording to what was used in the film, most noticably the first statements of Sauron's Theme and the Ringwraith chorus

The Treason Of Isengard: Pretty sure all of this recording is present on the 3 CD album, though intercut with other music.

The Black Rider: alternate recording to what appeared in the film, most noticably the Ringwraith music for the chase to Buckleberry ferry. Also there is some music in this track that was not used in the film.

At The Sign Of The Prancing Pony: Parts of this recording ended up in the film (i think), other parts, like the music for the Ringwraiths entering the bedroom is an alternate recording.

A Knife In The Dark: seems to be the same recording as in the film, but tightened up.

Flight To The Ford: I think this is an alternate recording for the most part.

Many Meetings: The ending of this piece seems to be an alternate to the film version

The Council Of Elrond: I think this is all used in the film, but intercut with a lot of other music.

The Ring Goes South: all used in the film, but intercut with other music.

A Journey In The Dark: all used in the film, but intercut with other music.

The Bridge Of Khazad Dum: i think this is all used in the film, but there are a lot of cuts in this piece.

Lothlorien: The opening of this cue was not used in the Extended DVD edition, and a lot of this cue is intercut with new music in the film.

The Great River: the first part of this cue was replaced in the Extended edition to reflect the new ending for the Lorien sequence.

Amon Hen: a very shoretened piece compared to what was used in the film, some of the music here was replaced for the Extended DVD edition, most noticably the music leading up to Boromir's demise)

The Breaking Of The Fellowship: pretty much the film version, same recording, though slightly edited, and a transition from In Dreams to May It Be is missing.

Feel free to correct me or provide more details anyone. (Jim Ware)

I don't think the versions of Gandalf vs Saruman and the ringwraith encounter, as they appear on the Complete Recordings, were recorded that way. Even though the choir isn't there, you can clearly hear it faintly in the background; I think it's just edited out.

gkgyver - who does NOT want to be forced to use the word "edit" when talking about TTT and ROTK next year. Do you hear me?

I'm pretty sure the choir and orchestra were recorded seperatly.

So it's in no way an edit, they just made a different descision as to when to mix in the choir in the film then on the album.

It's not a screw up, as some so foolishly claim on FSM.

I know this is probably silly but...

Why did they make the cover red instead of Green like the extended DVD cover...

maybe it's just my ocd, but I would have preferred it to be Green...

and now, because it's red, the others will be wrong :-(

Also, isn't "Bad End" Concerning Hobbits... just ... complete...

(also, "Bag End" at 1:13-14, not in tune :cry: lol )

EDIT: Strike that... it must be a different recording because on "Concerning Hobbits," it's in tune...

they just made a different descision as to when to mix in the choir in the film then on the album.  

Well, that's an edit lol

If it wasn't recorded and intended that way (which it was certainly not), it's an edit. Especially when you can still hear the choir in the background; that's ridiculous! Same thing on Weathertop, choir is clearly audible, but not meant to be there.

In the Weathertop cue, the choir IS supposed to be there. It isn't mixed out in any way, either. I feel that the "Minas Morgul" portion of "Keep it Secret, Keep it Safe" is a different recording than on the original album.

And the choir and orchestra WERE recorded seperately. (I can't find the reference right now.)

Well, why was that red! lol It should be Green!

Actually, all thee should have been red... bowdown

Why not season 10 too?

Because 1-9 were only EUR 15 each, and 10 was something around 30. I'll get that later, for now I've spent far more money than I should at the moment as it is. But after waiting for years for them to get cheap, I couldn't miss the opportunity. ROTFLMAO

Marian - who has seen every episode from the first four seasons, but not much beyond that yet.

In the Weathertop cue, the choir IS supposed to be there. It isn't mixed out in any way, either. I feel that the "Minas Morgul" portion of "Keep it Secret, Keep it Safe" is a different recording than on the original album.  

And the choir and orchestra WERE recorded seperately. (I can't find the reference right now.)

Come on! In the OST version of the Weathertop cue (A Knife In The Dark), the choir is as loud as it can get just before the moment Frodo puts the Ring on. In this latest version, it's nearly imperceptible; you think that was their plan? "Let's see if they can hear THAT!"

I do know that the choir was recorded separately, that makes it even tougher to understand. Why didn't they just leave out the portions they didn't want? I think in the "Shortcut to Mushrooms" cue they did, which explains the odd way the choir fades in.

For those of you who are complaining about the complete recording for Fellowship Of The Ring I got one question for you. WHY did you bother even buying the set if all you were going to do was bitch about the way how some things appeared in the complete recordings versus the OST's? You all knew from the huge ass thread on MovieMusic.com that this set was going to have all the music as heard in the EXTENDED EDITIONS of the movies. The same will be for The Two Towers and Return Of The King. Those two will have all the music featured from the Extended Editions of the movies, not the thearatical versions.

I really don't get half of you sometimes with your constant whining and complaining about things like this....

This is the best release of 2005.

Simply outstanding, I've listened to all 3 Cds and the DVD. I actually managed to listen to the DVD in one setting the other day. I agree with Stefancos, it is a little odd to hear material different from what you are used to.

I have no complaints about this release.

I was curious if this is just MY recording or if I'm just hearing things...

But on track 5 of Disk 2, the track "Weathertop" at about 2:05 there's like... what sounds like a cell phone ringing... it's right before the strings place the next pitch...

and there's some moments in Rivendell at about... 0:47, there is like... a weird rumbling sound... I dunno how to describe it except that in editing before, If I layer the same music overitself, it makes that noise...

It almost sound like the tremmelo but weirder... and it comes in when the drums do both times... like... again around 1:30...

Anyone else know what I mean?

am I just hearing things?

Not sure about "just hearing things". I noticed a strange ringing in the OST version (Track 8, Flight to the Ford, ~3.115). It's cleary auditable with headphones.

I havn't had a chance to listen to everything, I just listend to a couple tracks that I like... and those are some of the things I was hearing.

At first I thought my speaker's balance was off, but I checked and listened with just headphones too... in "Rivendell" there is definately some sort of noise...because it gets really clear when it goes away... almost serene... is anyone hearing those?

are there realy cell phones throughout a lot of the recordings or just hyperbolizing? heh

I founf some noises in the OST that i thought was from mixing the prchestra and the chorus... i dont know if it sounds like a mobile...

(i said mobiles are everywhere in our lives, not in scores... :| )

Come on! In the OST version of the Weathertop cue (A Knife In The Dark), the choir is as loud as it can get just before the moment Frodo puts the Ring on. In this latest version, it's nearly imperceptible; you think that was their plan? "Let's see if they can hear THAT!"

I do know that the choir was recorded separately, that makes it even tougher to understand. Why didn't they just leave out the portions they didn't want? I think in the "Shortcut to Mushrooms" cue they did, which explains the odd way the choir fades in.

I don't hear any choir in that portion of "Weathertop" at all. I hear blaring horns, but no choir. Incidently, if that statement of the theme in TTT for Treebeard awaking is indeed tracked, I believe it may come from this particular recording.

I listened to the OST track 8, at 3:11, that's something that strings can do... It's not so much a musical sound as just a noise for... ambiance I suppose...

Or, someone was doing it by accident and didn't realize.

You can make that nosie by playing the strings on th eother side of the bridge...

As far as weather top, it's kinda more like a cell phone... anyone else hearing that?

and I listened to "Keep it secret, keep it safe" you can CLEARLY hear the choir at 6:28 on... not so much before that... but definately after... for the next... 4-5 seconds...

Then when they come in again around 7:14 very faintly, but definately there...

Yes, the choir is there in "KIS,KIS", but because the choir is so low compared to the OST, I believe that it is an alternate recording.

The only other slight nitpick I could make is actually a rather more personal choice. 'The Shire', 1:55-2:05, the melody played with the strings is far more prominent in the movie, and my DVD rip had them as the main focus, but the CD has put them underneath the rhythm.

Obviously a mixing thing - I would just have preferred the film mix ;)

And I can't hear any cell phone noises anywhere in Weathertop, but there's some pretty weird instrument outbursts towards the end. I'm not sure about 'KIS,KIS' but the choir is definitely mixed much lower than the OST

Anyway, nitpicking over. I'm just glad to have this music, flaws or not :|

Hey all.

Anyone else finding the vocal levels are much different between the DVD-A and CD segments of the release? Enya's performance in 'The Council of Elrond Assembles' for example is much clearer on the CD than the DVD. Don't think there is much difference as far as the (occasionally) slightly odd choir mix but it is deffinitly noticable in the soloist performances.

Wonderful release though, best listened to in one long sitting I find. Too much music spread over too long to listen to in small chunks :-) *toddles back to sofa with a pint of the Gaffers home brew*

I rarely have the time to listen to the full 3 hours. I usually listen to it while traveling from home to work and back again.

Those vocal levels, are you referring to the Dolby Digital ot the PPCM portion of the DVD-A?

Did they really need to incorporate Gandalf singing in his little ditty in the track "Bag End"? Even though it was fine in the film, it was an unnecessary addition to the complete score album.

The same thing with "Keep it Secret, Keep it Safe". In the middle of this fantastic track, is this idiotic singing, and it comes back with the drunk song at the end. It's ridiculous.

Tim