The Fellowship of the Ring COMPLETE RECORDINGS 3CD set

ST-321

All this talk about delivery dates bores me.

Can't we talk about the Fanclub Credits not being included again?

Alright:

The alternates will probably be on a trilogy box set, released after we've bought all the single boxes.

I stand by that. :)

RichUK--Doug did imply, however, that there would be some sort of Unused Cuts release...my guess is with his book, but it could be packed in with a future Complete Recordings set or as a seperate entity. Either way, it'll be necessary.

I think it's the right move, though. Things like including alternates on the disc throw off the listening experience (see Binary Sunset--Alternate--with five takes of the main title). They can easily be programmed out of the listening experience, but why do that when they can be done seperately, as is the case here.

I sort of wish this thing were hacked into ninety thousand tracks, like the TPM: UE, because I want more thirty second samples. I'm dying here, and the world might end tomorrow. If it does, I'll be pissed.

I sort of wish this thing were hacked into ninety thousand tracks, like the TPM: UE, because I want more thirty second samples.  I'm dying here, and the world might end tomorrow.  If it does, I'll be pissed.

Pleeeaaasseee...nooooo.

That thing is impossible to get on your iPod.

I sort of wish this thing were hacked into ninety thousand tracks, like the TPM: UE, because I want more thirty second samples.  I'm dying here, and the world might end tomorrow.  If it does, I'll be pissed.

Pleeeaaasseee...nooooo.

That thing is impossible to get on your iPod.

Don't I know it. I just merged the UE together yesterday with Goldwave, and it finally works. Really long tracks, though.

Is anyone looping the cut segments to make Shore's version?

I'm not. I thought you were against a TPM style release in which all loops and cuts were there? The only thing I'd be against is if there was something like specific chord progression that made having everything intact important 'emotionally'.

I may eat my words on Monday, but I'll bet that no one's going to notice any differences without comparing it directly :) (Actually, I don't even have the FotR EE, I have the other 2 but my brother was first to get it and I just watch his when I'm home)

They said they had trimmed the repeats. Even if that whats shore composed.

Why?

You have not even heard what they trimmed, so why do you already have an opinion about it?

For instance the music playing under the "birth" of the first Uruk-Hai is basically the percusion of the orc Theme over and over again for a minute or so.

I can live with them cutting it a little bit to make it less repetitive.

Why are people so worried about the trimming of few repeated phrases to make the music more suitable for listening? It is not like Shore looped the tracks or spliced them carelessly together or edit them clumsily.

I trust Shore in this matter.

The Soundtrack.net article was intertesting and informative. Mike Brennan gave the Box only 4½ stars though.

Well even if he didn't produce it, I'm sure he approved everything and had creative control over it - it's his 'big' project after all.

That's right. And didn't Doug say Shore was actively part of the project? I do not know (yet :) ) whether Shore has producer credit but I would expect he has.

45 page liner notes! And I remember Doug saying he had to limit the amount of pages so it would not raise the cost of the set so there could have been even more pages :) I already knew Doug was not going to do a track-by-track analysis and I am fine with that. Finally we get accurate thematic analysis and can stop guessing the actual purpose of the themes introduced in the FOTR.

Approximately 3 days to go :)

You people living in UK are so lucky!

Yup, I'll have it this time tomorrow (Royal Mail permitting) :)

Didn't realise the liners will be so long, 45 pages? I guess this ends the feud over the nature theme for good :)

And they can't even put the track times on the back of the box...

That's right. And didn't Doug say Shore was actively part of the project?

Yes he did. I've been stalking that man's words for a year now. He's been the only thing that's kept me sane waiting for this release.

(Am I the only one who like Fellowship the best? It seems like it's everyone else's distant third-place).

I do not have a definitive personal favorite.

The usually lower rate given to FOTR is mostly caused by some poor choices made for the OST CD I think.

Like have the Ringwraith chorus in no less then 4 tracks, thereby ignoring other more varied material.

The nature theme... is that the music that plays with the moth?  

Is that TTT?

Yes the bit with the moth in Fellowship. In Towers it returns during the march of the Ents (I forget if it appears anywhere else), and in King it appears a lot, though curiously a couple of times outside of it's common place 'nature' association as there's a version of it when Theoden and the army leave Edoras, then there's a hefty bombastic version of it which I just adore during Theoden's rallying speech (the "Deaaaath" bit) just prior to them charging on Pelennor... Of course it returns toward the end when the moth and the eagles appear.

Well you could argue that everything being fought for is the battle for the preservation of nature and that its use is acceptable. The preservation of nature and the terrible thought of a ravaged countryside was of course a major point of the novel itself, and one I always felt was somewhat overlooked by Jackson more and more as each of the three films progressed. I've never felt Return of the King (film) hammered home that statement by the end of the book that all things must pass, and it's regrettable the film never had Treebeard's speech about this very matter, and the lack of an epilogue in many ways I think also steals this point away from the film series.

Please guys, this has been done to death.

It started out as a theme supposedly representing "nature" in FOTR and the early in TTT.

It then also because a theme signifying the "last stand" of both the Rohirrim and the Ents.

ROTK has 2 very powerfull renditions representing the Rohirrim as they (once again) ride out to a last stand.

If it would have just stasyed a nature theme we would not have had these 2 kickass renditions, so i'm very happy.

If it would have just stasyed a nature theme we would not have had these 2 kickass renditions, so i'm very happy.

They truly are great renditions yes, especially that Pelennor rendition. It'll be a boost to reference volume levels when I finally have that cue to play in the ROTK set. :)

Well that was my initial opinion (I called it the 'rescuing' theme), but I think either it's used just for effect in those places in RotK, or it's (as some here have suggested) a kind of reclamation of nature/good over evil theme.

But yeah, I suggest we leave this alone at least until people get the set & read the notes.

As for favourite score, Fellowship was the first one that made me go 'wow' in the cinema, but the OST hurt it IMHO, by having those 4 fairly generic tracks in a row with ringwraith music - I'd definitely have preferred more hobbit or caradhras/moria instead.

As for favourite score, Fellowship was the first one that made me go 'wow' in the cinema, but the OST hurt it IMHO, by having those 4 fairly generic tracks in a row with ringwraith music - I'd definitely have preferred more hobbit or caradhras/moria instead.

IMO for the OST release A Knife In The Dark and Flight To The Ford would have been sufficient.

Prancing Pony and The Black Rider could have been replaced with journey To Weathertop and the music for the fight with the cave troll or the Watcher In The water.

That 'awful album' contains the only alternates you're getting for possibly 12 months :)

And I won't just ditch the expanded version of the OST I made, as for one thing, it's got the original ending with 'In Dreams' coming first, and the hummed rendition of Frodo's theme edited in.

It's hardly an awfull album.

Perhaps I was being a bit harsh. I guess between them, the two releases of TPM take that honour. The FOTR album doesn't do the score any favours at all though - I bought it before I'd seen the film, and was disappointed by it. I was absolutely blown away by the score when I saw the film.

It's good, but not the world's greatest.

I saw the movie first, and wasn't really into scores back then. Just a few tracks such as Council of Elrond and Breaking of the Fellowship really affected me and I got them over Kazaa. Then I saw the movie more and discovered I liked more than those few tracks - and back then I also didn't realise that the album didn't contain everything from the film :)

I got the track 'Flight to the Ford' thinking it would have Galdalf's escape from Orthanc in it (it involves a flight, and I didn't know what a ford was) and 'The Ring Goes South' thinking that I'd get the aforementioned humming rendition. How misguided I was :P

So believe me, tomorrow will be a special, highly nostalgic day :D

Well FOTR is certainly my favorite LOTR score. It was the first and has that special feeling. It is the foundations of the whole trilogy of music. It was the score that convinced me that Shore could do the job :P

Still the LOTR scores are a whole and I hate to separate the 2 scores from FOTR.

The OST was very good though they never are perfect. Everyone always feels his/her favorite cue has been left out of the album. That is why complete scores are so good. Everybody get everything they could want from the score :)