The Fellowship of the Ring COMPLETE RECORDINGS 3CD set

ST-321

Gollum is a great track and as richuk I was dissappointed that the Hobbit's Understanding theme was missing from the OST. The whole set is full of great cues and special high lights for me are the Prologue, Shire music, Council of Elrond, Moria ... I could go on and name every cue and sequence. :wave: This set is truly awesome. And I still find new things and notice new details. That is truly a mark of a great score when you still after 5 years find it so interesting emotionally and intellectually.

And finally I know where Aragorn's theme is :) After 4 years I finally know where it is!

These are just few examples where the theme can be heard:

Disc 1 Track 13 0;39-> (the rising string motif that is turned over to the woodwinds).

Disc 2 Track 2 0;15-0;44 (the french horn line buried in the rest of the orchestra; this is another development of the theme, not quite the finished version).

The passage similar to that which is heard on the Weathertop fight can be heard on the Track 14 of the Disc 2 as the Fellowship flees through the halls of Moria and Aragorn is leading them.

Disc 3 track 5 4;48 -> (The rising fanfares). Once again the themes is not the same but powerfully heroic.

The theme is very closely related to the Fellowship theme as it says in the liners.

:) Departure of Boromir (heartbreaking)

I just have to mention that I finally got the FOTR set yesterday. I've listened to the DVD once so far, it seems to have more detail and depth to it than the old CD. I picked up more orchestral detail, though the choir seems a bit mixed down. Some nice bits I never noticed in the movie as well. And the liner notes are absolutely fantastic.

Marian - who can't wait for TTT and ROTK.

:) The Fellowship of the Ring (Howard Shore)

The choir is mixed down a notch, it takes some getting used to, but one can hear details in the music that were once drowned out by the earbleeding choir.

I hope they don't turn it down to much on Foundations Of Stone though.

Doug Adams said that Shore treated the choir as part of the ensemble in this mix and that's why the choir is balanced with the orchestra and choir is considerably toned down in the score. In some parts it is better and in others takes some getting used to.

BTW Stefan did you find Aragorn's theme yet?

I don't think you can narrow down Aragorn's music to a definitive theme; I think it's more of a structure thing.

Personally, I don't appreciate the new, toned down choir because I think it's contraproductive. It works against the natural power of the choir and consequently just sounds unnatural. It's like layering a solo flute on top of a full trumpet section.

I mean, it can work in a score like Close Encounters for instance, which is intentionally wierd and otherworldy, but LotR is supposed to sound very classical.

Btw, Rohan orchestration anyone?

I didn't care much the LOTR music,when I first saw the movie.

But I have bought some of the tracks from iTunes and I have

to admit,that I'm starting to like it?

I'm just wondering,should I purchase that complete thing,or is it just

waste of money?

Yes if you are a true film music fan or like the LOTR music then you should buy it.

If you have some reservations buy the single disc and go from there.

Well since it is a rather big investment you might start by tracking down one of the OST CD's.

If you like those then you are sure to like the 3 CD set.

If you are unfamiliar with the score then a 3 hour release might just be a bit to much.

I don't think you can narrow down Aragorn's music to a definitive theme; I think it's more of a structure thing.

What do you mean by structure thing?

As it says in the liner notes Aragorn's theme is derived from the Fellowship theme but it is a separate motif. The motif is clearly there and it forms the other half of the Gondor in Ascension theme in ROTK. The theme is quite elusive but once you hear it the theme becomes more easy to spot.

Well, it's tough to describe without quoting Doug "Head Of The Council" Adams himself 8O

Yes, Aragorn's music forms the second half of the Gondor theme, but that doesn't make it an own theme, or does it? The motif that plays after we know who he really is plays rarely on its own, just in context of other things, just like in the Gondor theme. Those fast ascending notes are more of a structure, which can appear in various disguises, than a theme.

I think the battle at Amon Hen and Aragorn's arrival at Helm's Deep are the only two placed in which you can hear his motif on its own.

I think the battle at Amon Hen and Aragorn's arrival at Helm's Deep are the only two placed in which you can hear his motif on its own.

I haven't read the liner notes in detail yet, but that arrival sequence (with the grand 360° (?) pan) always sounded to me like a motif that's often associated with Aragorn. Reminiscent of the smoking scene in Pony as well.

Marian - who assumes that is the Aragorn theme and will soon check the liner notes for confirmation. 8O

Well, it's tough to describe without quoting Doug "Head Of The Council" Adams himself :sigh:

Yes, Aragorn's music forms the second half of the Gondor theme, but that doesn't make it an own theme, or does it? The motif that plays after we know who he really is plays rarely on its own, just in context of other things, just like in the Gondor theme. Those fast ascending notes are more of a structure, which can appear in various disguises, than a theme.  

OK I understand your point. But it is still great to finally be aware of it. I did not notice it at all before I read the liners or at least did not make a connection between those far and between variations heard in the FOTR. It adds another strand in the great thematic tapestry and a connection inside the musical structure which I find continually fascinating.

BTW Marian You assume correctly that it is Aragorn's theme. As I said I never noticed that Prancing Pony appearance of the theme untill I read the liners 8O.

BTW Marian You assume correctly that it is Aragorn's theme. As I said I never noticed that Prancing Pony appearance of the theme untill I read the liners :).

Goodie. :) I was never certain about it, but as I said, it seemed to have a connection to that other music.

Listening for the third time, it seems to me that the 5.1 DD track on the DVD indeed does sound more transparent than the CDs. The only problem with the DVD is that, thanks to the menu, the pause button on my player doesn't work.

Regarding the music: As expected, I'm very happy about the inclusion of McKellen's singing. I don't mind the Mortensen bit, although it would be nice to have all that stuff (including Monaghan and Boyd) in separate tracks... generally the tracks seem too long for me for what's in them. However, including Holm is IMHO totally pointless; not only does it not fit the score, but Holm's singing is (perhaps on purpose) worse than Mortensen's in ROTK.

The only remaining complaint I can offer for this otherwise magnificent set is: Why do music DVDs always have to have music in the menu? I like to start listening with the first track when I put in a CD, and I'd like to do the same with DVDs.

Marian - ranting about what is probably the best soundtrack release yet. :)

:) The Fellowship of the Ring (Howard Shore)

A small question that has bothered me about the CR set. In the Seduction of the Ring theme analysis in the booklet there is a sentence in the end where Doug is quoting Shore's comment on the Death of Boromir and its connection to the boys choir used in the Seduction of the Ring theme and it reads(Page 8) :"Boromir's so sad and he knows he's not long, and you hear the boys singing again,"says Shore"...

Perhaps I am nit picking but what does "he's not long" mean in that sentence. It feels like there have been a couple of words left out and the senternce is incomplete. Can anyone of you explain what that particular sentence means? Or am I the only one with faulty printing of the booklet? :?

Perhaps I am nit picking but what does "he's not long" mean in that sentence.

It's a rather old-fashioned abbreviation for "he has not long" - as in he has not got long to live. It's not very common in modern English, but it does make sense.

Thank you for clarifying that for me. I still learn new things about English it seems :devil:. I was thinking that it meant something in those lines what you said. It could be deduced from the context but I wanted to be sure.

:devil:  

Call me slow, but I only just realised what you probably interpreted it as. "Boromir knew he was short."

bowdown

Actually I didn't. First of all I am not that stupid and secondly Shore would not say asinine thing like that. As I said the context told alot but I wanted to make sure.

What is the best extended musical sequence on the CR in your opinion? I mean a cue or a sequence that Shore extended or wrote complitely new music for the EE.

One thing that sticks to my mind as the most improved Extended scene is the Amon Hen sequence. There the longer version of the scene gave Shore an opporturnity of embellish his composition and make it even more dramatic and climactic than in the TE. The new choir music adds a huge impact on the music and lends an epic feeling to the whole scene that is even better than the original composition. I was totally blown away when I first time heard the music outside the film. The continuous Uruk-hai/Orc five beat pattern pounding beneath the surface of the music creates a constant feeling of threat and danger and drives the scene forward as relentlessly as the Orcs are pursuing the Fellowship and the Ring. Aragorn's theme comes to fore as he sets to defend Frodo and the Nature's theme appears to herald the sudden understanding of Merry and Pippin that Frodo is leaving them and the courage they find to lure the Uruk-hai away from Frodo. And all the while the Isengard theme and Five Beat pattern drive the scene forward in an unstoppable force. The choir appears chanting out Black Speech Verse of the Ring to signal the evil intentions that lie under the Uruks' quest, the finding the Ring and bringing it to Saruman who covets it for his own.

Then comes the tragic death of Boromir which is perhaps the most emotional scene in the film. Now it is prolonged in EE and Shore paints the picture in music with noble choir that rises as the valiant Man seems to over come the Uruks but suddenly cruel stabs of percussion and tragic choir signal the fatal wounds he receives. Here Shore accentuates the drama with the music but does not resort to mickey mousing and connect the exact moment that Boromir is hit by the arrows with the percussion stabs but instead adds a powerful emotional level to the scene. The music helps to tell the story both on its own and with the visuals. And the Death of Boromir is utterly sad though Shore implies to the noblity Boromir achieved while trying to defend the Hobbits and thus reclaimed his honour after trying to take the Ring from Frodo. The boys choir returns to sing a lament as we see the Hobbits carried away by the Uruk-hai and Boromir cannot help them.

Then there is a sudden burst of brass as Aragorn comes to the rescue of the noble man and defeats Lurtz is a quick and brutal combat that receives quotes of the Aragorn music. The final moments of Boromir are scored with noble and sad strings and boys choir singing sadly but as Aragorn vows to save Minas Tirith and Boromir dies in peace there is heard a restrained and noble version of the Fellowship theme which ends the sequence to a bitter sweet note. Absolutely stunning work.

Well that description became quite long but as I said I really love that extended sequence and wanted to put to words my impressions of the music.

The added choir at Amon Hen is probably the best.

I would also add the extended departure from Rivendell, which has a lot more restrained music than you'd think for such a moment. Of course, it has to balance out the huge statement of the Fellowship theme that follows, but I still thought it was a slightly surprising way to score such a scene.

• 1 month later...

I was off yesterday from work, and I spent about 3 hours sitting on my front porch with a portable CD player and headphones listening to the entire LotR: FotR. The afternoon was a sunny 80 degrees fahrenheit (27 Celsuis) with a slight breeze that came in every few minutes. I had a tall glass of iced tea and just relaxed. It was nice :)

Tim

Oh I wish I had time to just listen to music and enjoy it instead of playing it in the back ground while doing other things. I am too busy. Your comment made so envious Tim 8O And I just can't listen to FotR in the back ground. I have to give it my full attention or I feel my listening has been a waste of time as I can't enjoy it fully. Oh well back to work. FotR CR has to wait for a time when I really have time for it :(

• 3 months later...

I'm still enjoying the Fellowship complete score. I think one of the most gorgeous choral passages I have ever heard is in the Fighting Urukai track around the 5:18 mark until the 6:00 mark - it is absolutely beautiful. I can listen to it over and over again. There are so many absolutely perfect moments of film scoring in this score; it's amazing that I don't listen to it more.

Ted

I truly love that section too. It's one of the first pieces I extracted from the DVD until I realized it was on the Two Towers Ltd Ed CD. I also edited the breathtaking choir passage from The Great River just before the EE choir section as they go so well together.

The complete Two Towers will be phenomenal. Just thinking about the Helm's Deep music (nearly all of which is unreleased) we'll get makes me real hungry :P

:) Snow Angels - James NH

I just watched TFOTR and god the music is damn good to that. Havent seen it in a long while. good job howard, it fits like a glove!

• 2 months later...

Yesterday my friends and I watched the Fellowship again and after the credits rolled down we went for some talking and let the music play. Suddently I realised: hey, this 3 seconds of music I do not know. It's at ~1:39:14 on Disc 2. Has this been discussed before and why it's missing on the score? This 3 seconds (an alternate ending) are from Track 3 "Bag End" the Shire theme. Somebody noticed this too? Something else missing on the complete recordings?

Well, like any release, it's gone through changes. Look at the the album version of "Concearning Hobits"... these are two different recordings of the same cue... but notice that we only get one on the album?

Personally... I don't trust anything that says complete because it willnot have every pass of every cue ever recorded... That's what Complete means to me. but that's unreasonable lol

But again...are you sure it wasn't tracked in?

That album is the best ost I own, I'm more than pleased with it. I just wish they had included the Shire arrangement as heard in the fan credits. There's a quirky little moment with the solo fiddle(?) that I love! Shame I ain't got it :)

Vosk...drop the attitude...there's no point.

The point is that it represents something... it says that It isn't complete... or that some creative choice was made NOT to include them...and the question is asked "why?" If they go all out to present it the way they have, why not include it?..

I know 3 seconds is nothing to complain about. But it's working quite good in the credits and thus: why not use it? If you get the money to produce such an amazing presentation of the score and put so much care into getting all the music used in the motion picture, why stop at the credits? Looking at most JW OST CD's we get those credits stuff with mostly no new content just repeating the already presented music on the disc in another way of editing.

To make things clear: I am not bashing the representation of the recordings we got this far. No, I am amazed like most people out here how good it was done but maybe there is more content missing then I am aware of? Just a simple question if someone noticed the same :)

I was being fucking sarcastic, hence the rolling eye emoticon added at the end. So shut the hell up.

Stop the personal attacks please Vosk, they're completely unnecessary. Just because you're not interested doesn't mean you have to try to bring any discussion to a halt. I hate to be so blunt, but what's the point in posting a reply if you haven't got anything to say?

As for those few second edits here and there, yes they do exist but they don't bother me a lot. I think most of them were good decisions, and improve the flow of the score as a whole. That said, I haven't listened to the end credits in any detail on the DVD, so I'm not sure exactly what I'm missing. I noticed a few passages that seem shorter on the CE (I think some of the Isengard scenes, for example), but I think the film versions would have been a little too repetitive.

Still, it's one of the best CD re-issues ever (whatever you think of the music, you can't deny that the presentation is excellent), and I'm willing to forgive the odd few-second cut if it means we get more releases like this.

I was being fucking sarcastic, hence the rolling eye emoticon added at the end. So shut the hell up.

Stop the personal attacks please Vosk, they're completely unnecessary. Just because you're not interested doesn't mean you have to try to bring any discussion to a halt. I hate to be so blunt, but what's the point in posting a reply if you haven't got anything to say?

Indeed. "Shut the hell up" is the last thing I want to see people saying to each other around here like that.

I don't mind that there's 3 seconds missing. And before this set came out, Doug Adams already mentioned they took out some minor sections (we're talking bars here) or changed some of the mixing (like the nearly choir-less departure of the Ringwraiths), all under the supervision and approval of Howard Shore himself.

- Marc

Man some people have anger issues.

Marc is correct, Shore did make some minor adjustments to the cues. Plus these scores are meant to represent the expanded versions of the films so there are and may be some differences when compared to the original CDs and films.

I know 3 seconds is nothing to complain about. But it's working quite good in the credits and thus: why not use it?

It's on the complete recordings.

(The only difference is that this piece crossfades into In Dreams slightly earlier on the Complete Recordings than it does in the film).

Karol, who thinks that with TTT there will be even more omissions.

Keep your original album for the alternate Shadowfax cue, amongst others. :)

Plus these scores are meant to represent the expanded versions of the films so there are and may be some differences when compared to the original CDs and films.

The Complete Recordings are intended to represent the ultimate and final version of each film's score as conceived and written by Howard Shore. Essentially, this means the score from the EE, minus any music editing or looping and with unused cues restored to their original locations where appropriate.

There are assembly issues with in the Fellowship CR which contradict this statement slightly. There are at least two other issues with the final track which are considerably more annoying (to me) than a slightly adjusted crossfade.

No matter how insignificant the 3 seconds are, it still means that the complete recordings are not actually complete. Be thankful that it isn't missing more. I just don't if I could handle it if I found out that it was missing 4 seconds.