Recording Howard Shore's King Kong

Mr. Breathmask

This week's Post-Production Diary over at KongIsKing.net deals with the recording of the score. We get some details about the recording stage, the miccing, etc. and we see Shore conducting (sans baton) the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra as they record a cue for the Venture's approach to Skull Island. There's some music you can hear; not enough yet to give you a feel of the score, but a nice tease nonetheless.

You can view the diary right here.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been waiting for months for this particular diary. Not really that much information, but what is there looks good. And lots of percussion. :)

Marian - who expected lots of percussion.

Yes, it's really funny: when someone you like gets one, it's the greatest thing in the world, but when your least favourite composer holds one in his hand, they're suddenly "overrated".

I think Shore was at least as big before LOTR as Williams was before Jaws. His Cronenberg collaborations have always been well respected, Se7en has been considered a masterpiece for years, and Looking for Richard, Dogma and The Cell all gathered very good reviews before Shore was announced as the LOTR composer... as did The Score, but I believe that was already between the announcement and the release of FOTR.

Marian - ;)

I just watched The Score again the other night and did not realize Shore did the music. It was nice to hear something different from him.

On a side note, couldn't help but laugh during the senes Brando was in. All I could think about was his hatred for Frank Oz and pictured him walking around the sets calling him "Miss Piggy". ;)

Man, Peter Jackson has gone the complete reverse of George Lucas. Jackson is quite obviously HALF the man he was even just a year ago. I'm all for fitness, but I hope that the obviously intense changes he's gone through have not had any adverse effects.

As for the score, I'll definitely wait to hear it on screen before getting the album.

I enjoyed the score very much.

Yes, but what did you think of The Score?

Neil

At the risk of playing along.... ;)

Yes I did enjoy the film. To date, I think it's one of Deniro's last really good performances. Deniro felt like Deniro, only a little softer.Despite the predicatable ending, I still thought it worked well because it's the one I ultimately wanted.

The reason I watched it again is because my wife and I were just up in Montreal over Labor Day and I wanted to see which building they used for his apartment/club in Old Port. Actually, to be honest, when I saw the movie the first time back in '02 it inspired me to want to go there to begin with and see those sidewalk cafes and cobblestone streets. Lovely city.

Man, Peter Jackson has gone the complete reverse of George Lucas.

In that case, we can expect great things from Kong. :)

Marian - who thinks The Score is rather typical Shore with the addition of the jazz element.

I think Shore was at least as big before LOTR as Williams was before Jaws. His Cronenberg collaborations have always been well respected, Se7en has been considered a masterpiece for years, and Looking for Richard, Dogma and The Cell all gathered very good reviews before Shore was announced as the LOTR composer... as did The Score, but I believe that was already between the announcement and the release of FOTR.

Marian - :)

Do anybody humm those scores? are they worldy known?

And a 'long time ago', the oscars mattered.

Shore deserved his for ROTK. No more, no less.

I enjoyed the score very much.

Yes, but what did you think of The Score?

Neil

The Kaplans could sue you for stealing their bit.

Morlock- who's also been waiting for this PPD for ages, and thinks this reaffirms the potential of the score.

I hope he does come back to scoring the lower profile films as well, aside from the Cronenberg stuff. He's done some wonderful smaller scores. I would love him to do more Kevin Smith films, for instance (if Kevin Smith ever gets good again, that is).

If you want to believe that Shore has always been a n 1 composer, famous and great from the very beggining, is up to you.

His beginnings were sometime in the 70s, when he worked on Saturday Night Live and apparently also helped in founding the Blues Brothers. He's been among the big composers since around Se7en I'd say...

Marian - ...

Nah, he only joined the A list in 2001. Until than, he had a big project here and there, but Mrs. Doubtfire, Cop Land, Ed Wood, Analyze This and That Thing You Do! didn't really lead anywhere.

What has happened to Peter Jackson in the last year. First I could not believe my eyes. The man is as thin as a rail. It looks unnatural as I was used to the hobbit-like Jackson I have seen in LOTR documentaries. Did all that workout hiking in New Zealand wilderness while shooting LOTR affect the director retroactively?

Music sounds promising (even though there was just few seconds of it :wave: ). I think I will go see the film before I buy the score. I still have reservations about Shore's music outside LOTR. Only scores of his besides LOTR that has made an impact on me are propably Looking for Richard Silence of the Lambs and Aviator (I have not listened to Shore that much).

Don't forget Silence of The Lambs--- for me, his approach to scoring that film was dead on. Instead of screech screech screech, typical of horror scores, he went the other way, focusing on creating sympathy for the victims and Jodie Foster's character. That was the first time that I really took notice of Shore. The Rings scores, overall, were great.

Shore has a greater range than most are willing to accord him. Remember BIG? That was a truly beautiful, emotional score from the same guy who plummeted the depths with 7even. No, Shore doesn't compose like Williams, and to some, that's a flaw. I'm personally glad he sounds so different to be honest. Let Williams write like Williams (no one can get close anyhow) and let Shore write like Shore. I think both King Kong and A History of Violence sound like good bets for this year.

I wasn't knocking Shore on my first comment. I have all three LotR scores and saw the symphony he composed played by the Philadelphia Orchestra a couple years ago. I've enjoyed his music (like the aforementioned 'Dogma') for years. I just thought it was funny that there's so much attention on him now because of the spotlight the LotR movies made for him. He has such lofty expectations now.

Tim