Don Davis on the Ben-Hur Box Set

artyjeffrey

The recently released 4-DVD box set of the classic Ben-Hur features a fourth disc with special features, one of them being a doc on the legacy of Ben-Hur. Towards the end of the doc, finally, they arrive at the topic of Miklos Rozsa's awesome soundtrack for the film, and yet oddly, of all of the composers out there whom they could have interviewed, they chose Don Davis!

The entire time, as he speaks, he's got this odd posture, with mouth kind of gaping, neck squeezed back, oddly wooden. But that's beside the point. Anyways, he expresses his belief that composers out there like John Williams are able to be household names and be successful in the concert circuit because of Rosza. He said that John Williams was probably the only modern composer out there that the common man on the street could name.

What he said, while not very clear (watch it, and you'll see what I mean), was true. But, I ask the gods of DVD, why Don Davis?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Don Davis has to make a living somehow. I think he's got great potential, and I love his Matrix scores. Plus who doesn't like Neodammerung or that Opening Rolling Brass Motif... :P

But he's needs to get off of thy ass and score some music. (Film music that is- to his credit he has been doing some concert pieces).

Note to Don Davis: Step away from the Matrix. Love the score- time to move on. ;)

Don Davis is writing an Opera at the moment, and has been signed up to another film called "Marine" starring John Cena... (WWE Wrestler)...

Don Davis is , in my humble opinion, almost as great as Williams. Definetely my second favourite composer and Williams has clearly seen something in Davis too... (Why else would Williams pick Davis above all other hollywood composers)...

Wasn't it Don Davis himself who said in an interview that he was picked by Williams' agent, not Williams himself?

No , Don Davis firstly cleared up the rumours about James Horner originally being the composer for JP3, he said that James Horner was never going to score the film. He then confirmed that Williams and him met briefly and that Williams had chosen him to score the film (not his agent). He also said that he didn't know why Williams chose him, he assumes that Williams must've liked some of his work... (seems the most obvious answer :thumbup: )

I always thought Don Davis was picked because no one else wanted to have JW's sloppy seconds, especially if they had to reprise his themes and make little to no new impact on the shape of the franchise musically.

Hmmmm. Is that why Patrick Doyle latched on to HP4?