AFI's 100 Years of Film Scores and Concert

Lurker

John Williams was the only composer represented by three scores out of twenty-five: E.T. (14 ), Jaws (6), and Star Wars (1). The complete list of all the scores played can be found here. Family members of nine of the composers represented were present at the concert.

Neil

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that I am positively shocked Star Wars was number one. I guess I should say I'm just surprised it wasn't Gone With the Wind.

I certainly expected Star wars and jaws to be in the top-ten. I thought the top 3 would be something like GWtW (1), Psycho (2) and SW(3).

But having Star Wars was an enjoyable surprise, as having John three times in the top 25 and twice in the top-ten was.

But having Star Wars was an enjoyable surprise, as having John three times in the top 25 and twice in the top-ten was.

It sure is a nice surprise.

I'm not complaining, but I'm surprised Close Encounters didn't make the top 25. I can't think of another movie that wasn't a musical where the music was so critical to the story. And on top of that, it's great music!

Now I'm complaining. Where's Star Trek - The Motion Picture!!?? :mrgreen:

Neil - impressed that a great Williams score was actually selected as the top film score

I can't think of another movie that wasn't a musical where the music was so critical to the story.

Uuuuummmm...Jaws!

Well, in Jaws it was critical to the story as usually a score is, but with such quality that it goes far beyond. In CE3K it is actually part of the story.

I can't think of another movie that wasn't a musical where the music was so critical to the story.

Uuuuummmm...Jaws!

Well, in Jaws it was critical to the story as usually a score is, but with such quality that it goes far beyond. In CE3K it is actually part of the story.

Exactly.

Neil - who should smack Steef for ignoring that aspect

Read your own post, you said critical to the story not part of the story.

The five notes written by John Williams are critical to the story. The shark was going to hunt and be hunted regardless of Williams' music.

Neil

Yes I agree thank you for seeing it my way....

Huh?

There must be some sort of language barrier going on here. The score to Close Encounters is partially based on the five note communication motif that is critical to the story. An actual story element is weaved into the score and not briefly. The entire climax builds to this. And the 5 notes and the score were all composed by John Williams. It's one of the greatest musical accomplishments and deserving to be in the top 25.

Neil

No way in hell Star Wars deserves to be rated higher then Jaws.

Sure it does. I know you weren't around in 1977 but Star Wars, the film and score, were quite "beyond" anything seen or heard before. Really, Jaws' "dum dum dum dum" simply fell flat on its behind compared to the majesty of this space opera about a boy, a girl and a universe.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Star wars COULD have been very siccessfull even with a different score.

I really doubt Jaws would have been.

Besides i was discussing a score as how it functions in the film, not how drug induced disco addicts percieved it

Star wars COULD have been very siccessfull even with a different score.

I really doubt Jaws would have been.

Besides i was discussing a score as how it functions in the film, not how drug induced disco addicts percieved it

Please Stefancos, the music of Star Wars had a far greater impact on people than Jaws, you have no idea.

Yes you are correct.

The music from Titanic also had a greater inpact on people then Empire Of The Sun.

What exactly is your point?

That Star Wars did much more for film music than Jaws. It completely changed what was on vogue. Everything was Star Wars. It sweeped the globe like an epidemic (a good one). If you didn't do Star Wars, you were a lost cause. It changed the soundtracks accompanying the films. The score to Titanic, that little piss-poor example of yours, did no such thing.

OK how about Gladiator, that definaty changed the way films are scored nowadays.

Alex are we discussing the quality of a score as how it functions in the film, or how many people can hum the theme and bought the album.

OK how about Gladiator, that definaty changed the way films are scored nowadays.

Not really, except that Zimmer is getting all the job now.

Alex are we discussing the quality of a score as how it functions in the film, or how many people can hum the theme and bought the album.

I think it deserves more praise than Jaws because commercially, socially and artistically, it achieved more. Hey, whaddayaknow, it's number one on the list!

No way in hell Star Wars deserves to be rated higher then Jaws.

So Star Wars doesn't deserve to be ranked higher than Jaws becuase it's more crucial to the film or because you simply think it's the better score?

Well this is a very subjective matter naturally.

But I just feel Jaws made the film more then most of the other in the top 10 (not Psycho though).

Some of the choices are really poor.

Lawrence Of Arabia is a rather annoying score that seriously takes me out of the film at times.

Well this is a very subjective matter naturally.

But I just feel Jaws made the film more then most of the other in the top 10 (not Psycho though).

Some of the choices are really poor.

Lawrence Of Arabia is a rather annoying score that seriously takes me out of the film at times.

Even without the music, Jaws is a pretty good flick. A score by Goldsmith would've been more than adequate to equally be as efficient. Quite frankly, Jaws would've been right up his alley. But I don't see Goldsmith doing Star Wars, not in a million years.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Star Wars is the most important score even written, because it combines several things: the quality of the music itself, its presence in the film, its cultural impact, its popularity, the way it changed movie scores forever, its enormous legacy, how memorable it is.

So, I ask this: why not Star Wars? It's the obvious winner.

Not an admirable score?

I'm sorry, but I must disagree 100%.

Plus, Star Wars contains what I consider to be the best movie theme ever (although not a main theme): the Force theme.

Besides, it this kind of list, which are always subjective, Star Wars is as an objective choice as you can get, for the reasons I stated previously.

So at the end of the day Steef, which  would you rather listen to as a stand alone score... Star Wars or Jaws?

I don't consider that the most valid way to judge the succes of a film score.

But I listen to both a lot, depending on my mood.

A shameful ranking.  Just shameful.

No way in hell is Star Wars even the best John Williams score, much less better than any other score ever written.

DH

Finally, a voice of reason in this thread.

To agree with someone who thinks Star Wars is no better than any other score out there is hardly "reason", Stefancos. Has Potterdom clouded your mind completely? Or am I interpreting the above quote wrongly?