AFI's 100 Years of Film Scores and Concert

Lurker

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're a Potter for not recognizing the virtues and achievements of the original Star Wars we've been highlighting in this thread. You even agree with the first bloke who calls it "no better than anyother score ever written". In my book, that makes you as blind as an average Potter fan :thumbup: .

Star Wars has its rightful place at Number 1.

You're a Potter for not recognizing the virtues and achievements of the original Star Wars we've been highlighting in this thread. You even agree with the first bloke who calls it "no better than anyother score ever written". In my book, that makes you as blind as an average Potter fan :thumbup: .

What is the average Potter fan? Certainly not one who hated Book 6 like yours truly. :baaa:

I wasn't a Potter fan before you! I hated book 5 and won't even bother with books 6 or 7.

That being said, I'm sure "Dr. Hobgood" is very upset that Williams got 3 scores on the list while Jerry "only" got 2 on there and "only" one was in the top 10.

:roll:

Neil

What is the average Potter fan?  

People who hear celesta sounds when spotting a Hermione look-a-like.

Like Steef? I'm sure he'll find that remark... not-so-insulting.

I wasn't a Potter fan before you! I hated book 5 and won't even bother with books 6 or 7.

You hated Book 5? You'll burn 6.

And why wasn't Goldsmith's Star Trek: The Motion Picture on that list? Or The Omen even? Pretty insulting.

There's nothing wrong with someone believing that Star Wars doesn't deserve to be number one as we are all entitled to our opinions. However, to come onto a John Williams message board and claim that this particular score is nothing better than any other written is an insult to all of us who post here as fans.

Now there's a voice of reason.

You are as clumsy as you are stupid Alex.

You critisize people for idolizing Williams Harry Potter scores, yet you seem to do the same with Star Wars.

Is Star wars an outstanding score?

Hell YES!

Is Star Wars the best score ever composed?

Hell NO!

It's not even the best score in the series.

Stefancos- who's amazed that Alex bashes people who gotten into film music because of Jurassic Park or Harry Potter though he himself got into it because of Star Wars, the OTHER populists score. :thumbup:

You critisize people for idolizing Williams Harry Potter scores, yet you seem to do the same with Star Wars.

Hell YES!

Hell NO!

Stefancos- who's amazed that Alex bashes people who gotten into film music because of Jurassic Park or Harry Potter though he himself got into it because of Star Wars, the OTHER populists score. :mrgreen:

You called Hobwood (who calls it no better than any other score) a voice of reason. Who's being stupid here? Hahahaha.

I have nothing against popular scores (or popular films for that matter). Star Wars, Jaws, ET, Raiders, the list goes on. I don't dislike JP because it's popular, no, I bash it because it's got a dull main theme. I bash Potter because Williams recycled himself too much. It's one big déja-vu. Really Stefancos, did you think I hated popular scores? Hahaha, how simple-minded of you. Now, I'll ask you again, who's being stupid here?

----------------

Alex Cremers

Even though I prefer ESB and ROTJ to Star Wars in terms of music, I still think it is a worthy number one. As I said, it is as obejctive as you can get in a very subjective list.

A shameful ranking.  Just shameful.

No way in hell is Star Wars even the best John Williams score, much less better than any other score ever written.

DH

Thank goodness then that the result was chosen by experts......

:roll:

The AFI lists, I don't think, purport to define the "best" or "greatest" in the sense of pure critical quality. They openly factor in, to an enormous extent, the degree to which the object of consideration has seeped into the popular mainstream.

"A jury of over 500 film artists, composers, musicians, critics and historians selected John Williams' iconic score from the classic film STAR WARS as the most memorable film score of all time." [emphasis added]

STAR WARS is pretty darn memorable, especially if you were "there" (though I wasn't).

Now you can argue whether it's worthwhile to simply reflect the popular opinion rather than to inform it, but that's what the AFI set out to do, and it's just silly to call the list "shameful" simply because it doesn't follow your particular idiosyncratic criteria.

I wasn't a Potter fan before you!  I hated book 5 and won't even bother with books 6 or 7.

Well,lucky I didn't stop reading after Chamber of Secrets,which I didn't like.

K.M.

You hated Book 5?  You'll burn 6.

Meh, I didn't like book 5 (didn't hate it though) and thought HBP was a vast improvement. It fixed all the bad things in that book.

Book 6 wishes it was as good as Book 5!

Ray Barnsbury

You hated Book 5?  You'll burn 6.

Meh, I didn't like book 5 (didn't hate it though) and thought HBP was a vast improvement. It fixed all the bad things in that book.

HAP took everything that was great about OOTP and flushed it down Moaning Myrtle's toilet... though you're entitled to your opinion.

:)

He's Orson Welles. :)

I thought I was the voice of reason around here. Nice to see that PSYCHO and VERTIGO are well-represented on the list.

Wait a minute....no Horner. Am I seeing things or is chin 32 in the way again? And thank the Gods....no Zimmer in sight.

Hitch

Hell YES!

Hell NO!

Stefancos- who's amazed that Alex bashes people who gotten into film music because of Jurassic Park or Harry Potter though he himself got into it because of Star Wars, the OTHER populists score. :jump:

Stefan is on the war path...again! Way to go, Steef. :)

I'm also surprised that "Lord of the Rings" is not on the list, as well as "Harry Potter," "Schindler's List" and even "Chariots of Fire," for their impact on the films and their place in society.

And I can't even recall much of a score for "A Streetcar Named Desire." Maybe 10 minutes worth. And not very memorable. The same goes for "On Golden Pond."

But I'm pleasantly surprised to see "The Mission." Sort of a payback for not getting the Oscar.