Narnia on iTunes...

NeejaHalycon

Can I get a big whiskey-tango-foxtrot here? What kind of a film has an entire album of music "inspired by" it (ugh) released almost three months before the actual movie? I know Disney wants to squeeze every last cent out of it, but this is ridiculous. Do they sense Harry Potter and Zathura breathing down their necks? I wonder...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Narnia is going to receive three different soundtrack releases. Check out this link:

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/fs/2005052...1705282300.html

I think it is absurd but money is what counts for the record company and Walt Disney right?

What does Pop-rock and christian music to do with this?!

Lewis was a strong advocate for Christianity when he wrote these books, which has led many in the community (and outside) to see these stories as an allegory reference of that faith. Therefore, the films are being embraced by Christians as a movement in the mainstream.

Disney also sought (and received) church approval on the script.

Neil

And that is extremely ironic given the fact that the Christian community has spent years encouraging Disney movie boycotts. Smart move on Disney's part.

Because the basis of the Potter series is witchcraft (not debating to what degree right or wrong), which of course is against basic Christian theology. Just because it's fantasy doesn't mean they are on equal playing fields. The same comparisons have been made with Lord of the Rings, however Lewis took the allegory a bit further than Tolkien.

And that is extremely ironic given the fact that the Christian community has spent years encouraging Disney movie boycotts. Smart move on Disney's part.

It's not so much the "Christian community" as a whole as it was the Southern Baptist convention. The SBC recently voted to discontinue their boycott of Disney. Within the SBC and Baptist churches, however, there was, as can be expected with any large group of people, there were those who didn't agree. My brother-in-law is an SB pastor and loves Disney and never went in for the boycott. But, yes, smart for Disney to get some church input.

Are the books so religious?

Not religious, per se, but extremely metaphorical. If you know Judeo-Christan dogma, you can make the connections. Otherwise, it's a pretty good children's fantasy. I'm looking forward to the film and score, although I'm not expecting a LOTR-type score.

First post!

It's not so much the "Christian community" as a whole as it was the Southern Baptist convention. The SBC recently voted to discontinue their boycott of Disney. Within the SBC and Baptist churches, however, there was, as can be expected with any large group of people, there were those who didn't agree. My brother-in-law is an SB pastor and loves Disney and never went in for the boycott. But, yes, smart for Disney to get some church input.

Are the books so religious?

Not religious, per se, but extremely metaphorical. If you know Judeo-Christan dogma, you can make the connections. Otherwise, it's a pretty good children's fantasy. I'm looking forward to the film and score, although I'm not expecting a LOTR-type score.

First post!

Welcome to the boards.

You made your post before, mine so the "...." was not aimed at you. It was just intended to get things back to the origins of this thread which is the music.

When I used the term Christian community, that was basing the SBC as the biggest part of the equation. Just didn't want to discriminate. :)

Welcome to the boards.

You made your post before, mine so the "...."  was not aimed at you. It was just intended to get things back to the origins of this thread which is the music.  

When I used the term Christian community, that was basing the SBC as the biggest part of the equation. Just didn't want to discriminate.   :P

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for clarifying. :)

Because the basis of the Potter series is witchcraft (not debating to what degree right or wrong), which of course is against basic Christian theology. Just because it's fantasy doesn't mean they are on equal playing fields.  The same comparisons have been made with Lord of the Rings, however Lewis took the allegory a bit further than Tolkien.

Actually, Tolkien didn't use allegory in LOTR. Or any other of his books for that matter. In his preface to LOTR, he voices his disgust for allegory, and he also does so in many other places apart from LOTR.

Lewis created his entire series allegorically. Not that that diminishes them in any way.

I am eagerly awaiting this movie, and especially the score.

EDIT: I really need to get a new avatar.

Narnia's Christian origins are well-known. As a Christian, but also a man of letters and a great proponent of the value to be found in pre-Christian mythology, Lewis designed his Narnia series to work as both a stand-alone Children's fantasy, enjoyable to all, and a way of introducing explicitly Christian themes such as human captivity to sin and death, divine self-sacrifice-as-redemption, crucifixion and resurrection, the Fall, the Last Judgment, etc ... even subtle parallels to Christianity's relationship to Judaism and other religions. Compare to Pullman's "Golden Compass" series, which was designed by its atheist author with the opposite end in mind, as a kind of anti-Narnia: a stand-alone fantasy meant to introduce children to explicitly ANTI-religious themes such as the tyranny of religion and the obsolescence of God (specifically that the Judeo-Christian God is good and truly dead). That series of books has ALSO been greenlit. It will be interesting to see the contrast in their reception.

Because the basis of the Potter series is witchcraft (not debating to what degree right or wrong), which of course is against basic Christian theology. Just because it's fantasy doesn't mean they are on equal playing fields.  The same comparisons have been made with Lord of the Rings, however Lewis took the allegory a bit further than Tolkien.

Actually, Tolkien didn't use allegory in LOTR. Or any other of his books for that matter. In his preface to LOTR, he voices his disgust for allegory, and he also does so in many other places apart from LOTR.

Lewis created his entire series allegorically. Not that that diminishes them in any way.

I am eagerly awaiting this movie, and especially the score.

Let me clarify. When I said the same comparisons have been made, I am speaking about others making the connection on their own. I have had several conversations with friends who are Lord of the Rings fans that believe Tolkien intended the ring to represent temptation in general. Seems to me there is a fine line between allegory and inspiration connected with symbolism.

Here's the exact quote:

Tolkien, LOTR Foreword: ...I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence... I think that many confuse "applicability" with "allegory"; but one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.

And equalling the Ring to "temptation" might well be considered "applicability."

Marian - who believes some of Tolkien's applicability is intentional. I.e. he didn't use allegories, but he certainly did include "themes" that were important to him.

:music: Heart of Darkness (Bruce Broughton)

So back to the music... what does everyone think Harry Gregson-Williams will come up with for the score? I'm looking forward to it very much... especially after watching Shrek 2 last night...

I'm am unconfortable with the though of this...Christian discussion. Are you sure it's necessary?

Oh, Steef. What are you trying to do, scare us? You sound like my mother. We've known each other for a long time. I don't believe in magic, a lot of superstitious hocus pocus. We're discussing a film of potentially incredible historical significance, you're talking about the boogie man. Besides, you know what a cautious bunch we are.