James Newton Howard scores King Kong?

Antineutrino

Well,this confirms it.Shore will go back to scoring Cronenberg films and light comedies and that's that.His Box Office phase is already over.

K.M.Expecting Patrick Doyle's Box Office phase to be even shorter.

"Howard Shore the next John Williams" some people have said? Yeah right.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of days back, JoBlo.com posted a few music clips from the upcoming King Kong video game. Perhaps these clips could be from what Shore did get recorded.

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=8891

It certainly sounds like Shore to me, but I'm no expert.

So it is true after all. Howard Shore's score has been rejected and James Newton Howard is taking over.

yes....playing cricket all day. 50 overs match. I had to get up about 5:30am today to get on the bus at 6:30am with my cricket team to go to the Blue Mountains and I didn't get back home about 6:30pm.

wow

Please Jedi, you must learn to govern your passians, they will be your undoing.

Im not happy with this. that 'wow' is bewilderment.

JHN sometimes uses synth rythms which i dont like, and shore doesnt.

Playing cricket?

And what is that? Spending the whole night jumping and stroking some kind of instrument to make jarring sounds?

Playing cricket? And what is that?

Cricket is a game of sport. Don't tell me you never heard of it?

I think that really good director, who have real artistic manner, will never rejects his composer’s score (especially if he called him his friend) and will never fired him, at least after he composed music for month and already recorded it. Didn’t they hear any demos?

Give me only one example of it! A really great director who totally rejected completely recorded score!

Actually the only one example comes to mind is Hitchcock rejection of Herrmann’s Turn Curtain, but it was long before sampler demos and he fired him just after he heard Main Titles, because Herrmann went really opposite to Hitch’ direction.

Well, Scorsese fired Bernstein in “Gangs of N.Y.” but I don’t know was it recorded or not.

And Kubrick thrown away Alex North’ score for 2001, but he initially wanted classic music in it and notified the studio which insisted on original score.

The point is in overwhelming majority Score Rejection happens only with bland, mediocre or weak movies directed by just a professional directors who had no idea what music they really wanted for their movies. Isn’t it?

I doubt with such power that Jackson has now it was studio decision!

Playing cricket? And what is that?

Cricket is a game of sport. Don't tell me you never heard of it?

OF course i have heard about those artsy farsty British sports. I was just joking ;)

Polo is a somewaht horse riding version of cricket, right?

my country....Australia.....they are better at it. They're the world champions. Even though they lost the Ashes they still the number 1.

I can't imagine JNH will pull off something really good. I have a feeling this is going to be one of those relatively blad, percussion based, almost MV style JNH efforts. Though in general, I love JNH. I love Dave, The Fugitive, Restoration, My Best Friends Wedding, Unbreakable, Signs and The Village, and I think he's got a whole bunch of other really good scores- Wyatt Earp, Waterworld, Liar Liar (great theme, although it did have the unfortunate side effect of helping John Debey's career), Sixth Sense, Dinosaur, Big Trouble, Peter Pan and Hidalgo. Even his last two, which stylistically present the worst side of JNH (IMO), had their good parts. The climax of The Interpretor is exciting as hell, and a couple of the Batman Begins tracks are good (Molossus and the one with the nice swell, I don't remember which track).

I am really shocked by this news- I saw this thread when it began, and was sure it was a baseless rumor- only Steef's thread about Alex clued me in to the fact that this was real. I find this very disheartening. I hope PJ's statement was genuine, and that this is a temporary situation.

Well, Scorsese fired Bernstein in “Gangs of N.Y.” but I don’t know was it recorded or not.

It was.

I'm dying to hear it. I was suppose to get it a few months ago, but my contact cut off all contact. Anyone know what it's like?

Hey maybe they should have gotten Gabriel Yared to score Kong. He's really good at writing beautiful, sad themes along with some tense ones (i.e. Talented Mr. Ripley). Oh well. The dice have been cast. I normally would be ecstatic about JNH scoring a big film but I honestly don't believe he will produce something as awe-inspired as Shore would have given the time contraints.

Why are you judging this all ready guys? I don't quite understand it...JNH's score for all we know could be a lot better than Howard Shores. I am just saying, why not wait until JNH's score comes out or you guys see the movie in theaters to make a judgement on it?

Vosk, from someone who has scored some films himself, it is highly unlikely that, given the time contraints, JNH could come up with something as complex as Shore since the latter had months upon months to work on it. Of course there have been a few exceptions to this rule, notably Goldenthal's Interview with the Vampire and Goldsmith's Chinatown. But these are rare cases. And nothing against JNH, but he's not quite at Goldenthal's level. I love a lot of JNH's music though, don't get me wrong. Even his small contribution to Batman Begins revealed some wonderful Vaughan WIlliams-like string writing that elevated the score. But I have yet to hear him work under this kind of pressure except for Falling Down where he replaced Graeme Revel at the last moment. Because that score was mostly textural, I think he hit the ball out of the park. Perhaps he'll do it again on KONG.

I am so glad that JNH got the assignment over Zimmer, Media Ventures or Horner though....

Now this is good news. JNH is a much better composer than Howard Shore. I just hope he doesn't do anything remotely like Atlantis or Dinosaur.

Now this is good news. JNH is a much better composer than Howard Shore.

On what grounds do you make this dubious claim, save for your own personal liking of Howard? Bot are among my favorite film composers, and there are more JNH scores I like than Shore scores I like, but listening to something like The Aviator presents one with music that is as good, as rich, as well written as any music written for film today. In my opinion, there is not today, nor has there ever been, a film composer that is a much better composer than Howard Shore is.

Of course there have been a few exceptions to this rule, notably Goldenthal's Interview with the Vampire and Goldsmith's Chinatown. But these are rare cases.

Well, let's not forget that 'Chinatown' never required 90 minutes of orchestral opulence. The sheer amount of music smells like 8 orchestrators...just like 'Waterworld'.

Now this is good news. JNH is a much better composer than Howard Shore.

On what grounds do you make this dubious claim, save for your own personal liking of Howard?

No other grounds.

In my opinion, there is not today, nor has there ever been, a film composer that is a much better composer than Howard Shore is.

John Williams.

In my opinion, there is not today, nor has there ever been, a film composer that is a much better composer than Howard Shore is.

John Williams.

Nah, he's only had the best taste and/or greatest luck in the films he's done.

In hindsight, maybe we shouldn't be so surprised at PJ's parting with Howard Shore.

Thinking about TTT DVD feature, I remember PJ wanting something "hummable" for the Rohan theme and Shore not delivering immediately. His first crack at the the end titles song for ROTK - "Use Well The Days" - got a big thumbs down too. Perhaps for these films there was enough material to work with and develop from the FOTR to dilute any dissatisfaction with Shore's ideas. Just a thought.

Though concerned about time constraints, given their previous work, I would say JNH's work better fits KK than Shore's so I'm looking forward to this score.

If this story is indeed true (note: the website still lists Shore), then it is a sad day....a very sad day.....

Greg, have you not been reading this thread? The official press release has been posted several times. Here it is, once again:

"UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., Oct. 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Universal Pictures confirmed today that James Newton Howard will compose the original score for the dramatic adventure "King Kong," which is directed by triple Academy Award® winner Peter Jackson. Mr. Howard replaces Howard Shore, who is leaving the project.

Peter Jackson made the following statement: "I have greatly enjoyed my collaborations with Howard Shore, whose musical themes made immeasurable contributions to 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy. During the last few weeks, Howard and I came to realize that we had differing creative aspirations for the score of 'King Kong.' Rather than waste time arguing with a friend and trying to unify our points of view, we decided amicably to let another composer score the film. I'm looking forward to working with James Newton Howard, a composer whose work I've long admired, and I thank Howard Shore, whose talent is surpassed only by his graciousness."

"King Kong" will be released December 14, 2005."

You can read that here.

Neil

Yes - I have read the press release.....

.....not forgetting of course the press releases saying that the Loch Ness Monster was a submarine, the one about the real hitler diaries and the one broadcast over the radio in 1988 claiming that the Queen of England had died....

The Universal Press Release page is currently down.....when I can read it there or on the official KK site, I will believe it......and then weep.....