So, I got this package in the mail today...

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Yea, it was from Boston Symphony Orchestra. It said "Do not bend". It ended up being a bunch of articles about John Williams and also the do not bend part was for the SIGNED PICTURE. Yup and I did find out it was real and not photocopied signature. Cool? Has this happened to anyone else? The thing now is, who sent away for it for me? I have lots of ideas....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! I'm so happy for you, but also rather envious. Here's why . . .

Around JW's birthday in Feb, I sent him a letter. I put a lot of thought in it and wrote about how much his music means to me, my favorite compositions, how I got into the music, and thanked him for all he'd done. I also included my school picture so he'd know who I was, a picture of my JW themed b-day cake my mom made, and a self-addressed stamped envelope (just in case). Then, last Monday, the day after I got his autograph at Cleveland, I received my envelope back. It containedno writin, no explanation whatsoever, but it had the cake picture in it, with his autograph. So I was happy about that, but I was really hoping for something written. Or what you got. Oh well, in any case, congrats!

Ray Barnsbury

Yea, it was from Boston Symphony Orchestra.  It said "Do not bend".  It ended up being a bunch of articles about John Williams and also the do not bend part was for the SIGNED PICTURE.  Yup and I did find out it was real and not photocopied signature.  Cool?  Has this happened to anyone else?  The thing now is, who sent away for it for me?  I have lots of ideas....

Did you send a message with weebo with your address attached?

-Jason, envious

Yea I did write to him about Dec or Jan and I wrote the same basic thing, I did give my adress (just in case) I'm thinking its from that. There were also alot of articles about him in there. That was exciting for me especially when i rarely get excited about seeing famous people (probably because I almost never do)

Seven years ago, I wrote to John Williams. Just out of the blue, no specific reason other than I had found the address to his agent in California. It was a pretty short letter. I just wanted him to know how much I appreciated his mucis and how much it has shpaed my life. Yada, Yada, yada. I'm sure he gets this stuff all the time.

Anyway, about a month later, on Feb. 11, I got the same kind of envelope that Obi-wan recieved. In fresh marker (not a photocopy) was -- and you'll have to excuse me, my musical knowledge is, well, crappy -- a couple of bars of some musical notes, written by hand. Below it was JW's signature! Of course, not knowing music, I had to know what the notes were! One of my roommates took out his guitar and played the notes. After the fifth note note (out of seven), I knew it was the main theme from Star Wars!

;)

And what significance does Feb. 11 have to this whole thing! It's my birthday! Obviously, it was the best brithday present ever! So I laminated the card and hung it on my wall.

The following month, I received another envelope from Boston. It was the same as the last one, with different notes. But this one was pretty easy to read: the theme from Jaws. At this point, these two cards that cost about 10 cents to make and 50 cents to ship were my most valued possessions.

Fast forward to 1997, when I heard John would indeed be scoring Episode 1. I wrote to tell him how much I was looking forward to hearing his score more than seeing the movie (Which still holds true today). I didn't expect anything this time.

But I got another card! And this one was better than the rest. On the card was a small picture of JW at the piano, with five notes and his signature. Through some deduction, a group of us figured it out to be the five tones from Close Encounters! :mrgreen:

But wait, the story doesn't end there. eek2

Two years later, after he so brutally was defeated by Life is Beautiful at the Oscars, I wrote to tell him how much I thought the score was definitely the best of the year, and one of the besthe's done in the 90s. Once again, didn't expect a response (silly me). I got another one. :wiggle: But this one was "simple": just a 4x6 photo of him with his signature.

Now I have the four framed on my wall...my little :joke: if you will. Also in that frame is a personalized letter I received from alan Menken when I wrote to him just shortly after writing to JW in 1997, saying that I thought he was robbed at the Oscars when Emma beat The Hunchback of Notre Dame at the Oscars. Basically, the card said he felt he, too, was "robbed." But he says letters like mine made him feel that the score had reached people. Plus, he mentioned it was the most fun he had writing a score.

So that makes five cards in my shrine. I think that there's only two things left in my life: see the man live in concert and be able to interview him. One day, one day....... :nod:

That is so awesome Trump. I need to write to Williams. ;)

Maybe I could beg him for a TOD or AOTC release. yipee :mrgreen:

Justin - :joke:

Friends and colleagues, please don't let Mr. Williams be dumped with so much fan mail that, due to the goodness of his heart he ends up spending a lot more time signing them.

After all, what we would want is for him to spend more time composing, so we can all bask in the glory of his music.

Just a thought to share.

Just a thought: how many do you think he gets in one day? After all, I mailed mine to his agent, who probably opened it, read it, and decided JW would probably like to read it. Others are probably like, "Gosh, you are so kewl! I love that music you did for those dinosaurs movies! My brother says U rock 2. I also love the music for D. Vader! My brother scares me with it all the time! Well, gotta go! And again, U rock!"

I think the ones that are thoughtful and well-written are few and far between.

I'm sure the little amount of people here aren't going to stop him from writing good music.  It'll take alot more than that to stop good music from this guy.  :)

Well, it's true that it won't stop him, but it may slow him down, since it took 6 months for him to respond to the addresses given to him, and for the package to arrive, so he is delayed that much. Furthermore, he is an international powerhouse. His concerts are well sold everywhere he goes. In Japan, which he loved going due to the great reverence the Japanese audience showed, they loved him even there, too.

So, I wouldn't doubt he gets at least dozens of mails each month from around the world.

If Williams aren't able to score the entire Harry Potter 2, it means that much more that he is way too busy.

Plus, by the sound of Trump got a bunch of signatures with melodies on them, hence, Williams takes some moment drawing them up, and all or most, without solicitation. It does tell that Williams sends them out of the goodness of his heart.

Adding up all the various reports over the years, of his willingness to take the time to service his fans by signing, etc, adds more to my perception as to, just how superior natured human being he is.

Plus, no other composer takes the time to conduct in concert as much as he does. And lately, Williams has been composing films, back to back. Is it for the money? Not in the least! He enjoys giving to his fans.

OH MY GOSH! Did I write to him at the wrong time? I wrote as sincere and thouhtful letter as anyone. All I got was my returned photograph with his autograph. Not that that's bad, but compared to boxes overflowing with signed pictures of him, articles, and music written by him . . . :cry:

Seriously, do you think it could be because this is an extremely busy year for him?

Ray Barnsbury-dejected

This reminds me of the time I sent an angry letter to Sony Classical about their "Ultimate Edition" release and I woke up one day next to a severed Stallion head. :mrgreen:

You still got that autographed picture of him. That in itself is really exciting to get, and cool to have.

-Jason, who's very envious

Sorry for being confusing. He returned the pic of my JW-themed birthday cake with a signature. Nice, but not like a signed photo of him.

Ray Barnsbury

Along with my signed picture, I got a load of articles about John Williams like making Star Wars :mrgreen: and basic things about him. Anyone else get anything like that. (yes I am obsessed with smilies :) )

Seven years ago, I wrote to John Williams. Just out of the blue, no specific reason other than I had found the address to his agent in California. It was a pretty short letter. I just wanted him to know how much I appreciated his mucis and how much it has shpaed my life. Yada, Yada, yada. I'm sure he gets this stuff all the time.

Anyway, about a month later, on Feb. 11, I got the same kind of envelope that Obi-wan recieved. In fresh marker (not a photocopy) was -- and you'll have to excuse me, my musical knowledge is, well, crappy -- a couple of bars of some musical notes, written by hand. Below it was JW's signature! Of course, not knowing music, I had to know what the notes were! One of my roommates took out his guitar and played the notes. After the fifth note note (out of seven), I knew it was the main theme from Star Wars!  

:P

And what significance does Feb. 11 have to this whole thing! It's my birthday! Obviously, it was the best brithday present ever! So I laminated the card and hung it on my wall.

The following month, I received another envelope from Boston. It was the same as the last one, with different notes. But this one was pretty easy to read: the theme from Jaws. At this point, these two cards that cost about 10 cents to make and 50 cents to ship were my most valued possessions.

Fast forward to 1997, when I heard John would indeed be scoring Episode 1. I wrote to tell him how much I was looking forward to hearing his score more than seeing the movie (Which still holds true today). I didn't expect anything this time.

But I got another card! And this one was better than the rest. On the card was a small picture of JW at the piano, with five notes and his signature. Through some deduction, a group of us figured it out to be the five tones from Close Encounters! :mrgreen:  

But wait, the story doesn't end there.  eek2  

Two years later, after he so brutally was defeated by Life is Beautiful at the Oscars, I wrote to tell him how much I thought the score was definitely the best of the year, and one of the besthe's done in the 90s. Once again, didn't expect a response (silly me). I got another one. :wiggle: But this one was "simple": just a 4x6 photo of him with his signature.

Now I have the four framed on my wall...my little  :( if you will. Also in that frame is a personalized letter I received from alan Menken when I wrote to him just shortly after writing to JW in 1997, saying that I thought he was robbed at the Oscars when Emma beat The Hunchback of Notre Dame at the Oscars. Basically, the card said he felt he, too, was "robbed." But he says letters like mine made him feel that the score had reached people. Plus, he mentioned it was the most fun he had writing a score.

So that makes five cards in my shrine. I think that there's only two things left in my life: see the man live in concert and be able to interview him. One day, one day....... :nod:

I hate you with a passion you can only dream off...

Stefancos- :)

Trumpetter, you are lucky man!!!!

I wrote to Mr. Williams threetimes and I've obtained two signed photographs and one signed card. You can see both signed photographs (the second one contains personal dedication) on the main page of my Czech John Williams Web site (http://www.cswu.cz/johnwilliams/).

The signed card was sent with the letter from Mrs. Diane Amelia Read, Assistant to John Williams. She wrote this:

Thank you for your kind letter to John Williams. It's gratifying for him to hear that you think so highly of his work!

It was send from Boston in January 31st, 2002, when he was recording music for SW Episode II in London :) So he was very busy to write me a personal letter at that time :music:

E-Wan

Well, Stef, I can understand your hate. I would hate me too. ;)

I can't say why I got the response I got. I don't really think I wrote some Pulitzer-prize winning letter or something. I don't know if you should send pictures of a themed birthday cake for him to sign. Personally, I'd just be genuine.

As far as the time frame, I think I wrote to him on a busy year myself -- just as he was writing scores for Sabrina and Nixon and, if I'm not mistaken, ending up his tenure at the Boston Symphony.

I too wrote to him a letter around January of this year and I still haven't got an answer. I know that Johnny has more important things to do than answer to some fan letters. But I'm pretty sure one day I'll get some kind of response. He's a real gentleman and loves his fans. ;)

Maurizio

--

Just curious fellow posters....but which addresses did you mail to? Especially those of you which received replies. I ask this because there must a gazillion so-called "contact" addresses, and very few of them authentic.

Thanks in advance! beerchug

I can't remember where I sent the letter in 1995, but the other two times were to this address:

The Gorfaine/Schwartz Agency

c/o John Williams

13245 Riverside Dr., Suite 450

Sherman Oaks, CA 91423

I don't know if you should send pictures of a themed birthday cake for him to sign. Personally, I'd just be genuine.  

Hey. I didn't send it for him to sign, I sent it so he could see how much of an impact he has had on my life. That along with a very heartfelt letter of thanks and appreciation, asking for nothing; what's not genuine about that?

Ray Barnsbury

• 11 months later...

This is very interesting. I´ve always wanted to see Williams signing his autograph before my eyes, but it seems we have to try this : sigh :

:P Williams Celebration 2000

Recording Arts Orchestra of Los Angeles

John Williams

everybody everybody, instead of making a new thread i thought i'd add to this one. i got an autograph and picture of john williams from the BSO today..... Oh my God what a coincidence....my parents have it right now. they are sending it to me. My mom can't read music but she told me the musical quote is in 6/8 time......they are sending me a scan so i can see it.

WOO HOOO

Yeah, I am from Germany and received my signed "Arcoss the Stars"-theme last weekend;) (See other Post..)

Didn't you have any luck until now?

Regards

Markuz

i'm so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so

happy i got hedwig's theme.

so anyway,

I'm thinking how the heck do i frame this. . . . .do i copy it, put the fake in a nice frame and put the other one away?????

what do you all think?

do i take it to school?

i'm so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so  

happy i got hedwig's theme.

I hate your guts!

Stefancos- :music:

I'm thinking how the heck do i frame this. . . . .do i copy it, put the fake in a nice frame and put the other one away?????

Send it to me. I'll get a nice frame for it.

Neil

You know, I have the most beautiful frame for it, you can send it to me icon12.gif

That is the most "Horner-iffic" post I have ever read.

Neil