Best Williams "End Credits Suite"

robthehand

Which is your favourite of Williams' end credits suites? For me it'a a tie between Empire and Attack of the Clones.

BTW - this is any end credits suites, not just Star Wars ones. :P

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably Temple of Doom too, if only there was a proper release. :P

Good point - but the fact that there isn't really a proper release of it does not diminish it's excellence, in my humble and honest opinion.....

Would be nice though if the powers that be sorted us out a decent release though....

Probably Temple of Doom too, if only there was a proper release. :)

Good point - but the fact that there isn't really a proper release of it does not diminish it's excellence, in my humble and honest opinion.....

Of course, but it's just that I hardly ever hear it, apart from at the end of watching the film.

"Empire," no doubt. "Star Wars" just repeats the main theme too many times. That's when a good rendition of the Rebel Fanfare would have worked more than Luke's theme, because the film was more about the rebels than Luke.

But I also like "Temple of Doom." Mixing Short Round's and Indy's theme was a great discovery for me abot two years ago.

Empire Strikes Back.

The 19977-1985 period is better for classic End Credits suites  because Williams didn't do "re-hash" End Credits.

K.M.

Return if The Jedi has rehashed End Credits.

It has?

Not to go with what seems popular, but I can't help but say "Empire Strikes Back". It's just the way it is.

I also agree with Marian about PoA. The end credit suit with the new music, starting with the Nimbus theme, and going into the variations of the Double Trouble theme is some of the best music Williams has done in the last decade. It's a shame it was ruined by edited bits of other pieces afte the first 2 minutes. There's also a bit in the credits that was cut out of the CD version that I like.

Tim

It wasn't included on the CD right? The last track is "Farewell Neverland" and that isn't it, at least I don't think it is. I can't remember what the end credit sequence sounds like and I refused to rent or hunt down the film to find out.

But since the Hook score is in my top 5 Williams scores, I'll have to take your word for it.

Tim

It starded with the Neverland theme, then Tinkerbell's theme, followed by the Lost Boys Chase and finishing with the family theme. I think that was it.

End Credits from Always. Best music from the score in one piece but not on album!

It's not?What is it,a different take on the themes?

K.M.Who didn't know this

Empire. The version on the original vinyl, and also on the 1997 special edition. The editing and transitions are so much smoother. The version on the anthology had the nasty cuts between thematic segments.

Followed by Temple of Doom. When will we ever get that original finale on CD? The OST is missing a couple of moments of Short-Round's theme playfully bouncing along behind the main theme.

End Credits from Always. Best music from the score in one piece but not on album!

It's not?What is it,a different take on the themes?

K.M.Who didn't know this

Well, this is a compilation of three (or may be four) cues from the movie. But they are not edited, they were played together and in a very nice way! All those cues could be found on the disc, but in different tracks and you can't edit them from CD smoothly. Also the performance of those cues on the “End Credits” is little different.

It is sad that those “End Credits” not found their way to soundtrack album!

I very much like The Empire Strikes Back (it really is all about that last minute) but some other strong contenders include Close Encounters of the Third Kind (if my memory serves me correctly) and Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. There are many other end credit suites which I love e.g. Stepmom, The Patriot, Minority Report etc, but to whatever extent they are pure concert pieces rather than specific end credit music, I will refrain from championing them for now.

CYPHER

There's also a bit in the credits that was cut out of the CD version that I like.

Tim

Do you mean Peter Pettigrew's theme? I'm very upset at its non-appearance on the CD.

ESB for me. I guess I'm a follower, but you can't turn away genious.

I want to like Superman's end credits, but after the first few minutes it gets so tiring.

There's also a bit in the credits that was cut out of the CD version that I like.

Tim

Do you mean Peter Pettigrew's theme? I'm very upset at its non-appearance on the CD.

And the strange this is this theme is actually heard dozens of times in the movie. It's not like a small theme that makes one or two apperances.

RE: the ALWAYS end credits

Well, this is a compilation of three (or may be four) cues from the movie. But they are not edited, they were played together and in a very nice way! All those cues could be found on the disc, but in different tracks and you can't edit them from CD smoothly. Also the performance of those cues on the “End Credits” is little different.  

I believe that they were edited together from various cues of the score, some of which don't even appear on the OST CD!! I don't think that they were recorded as a single cue.

I created a version of the "End Credits" and in order to do so, I had to pull from two tracks of the OST, one track from the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration CD (which doesn't appear on the OST), and even a short segment from the DVD (which I couldn't locate on the OST). All in all, it's a nice listen, despite the additional hiss during the DVD segment.

As others have pointed out, a number of Williams's "End Credit" Suites are edited together from various cues (i.e., THE LOST WORLD, HEIDI, THE TERMINAL, MINORITY REPORT, etc.) or are edits of a single cue (i.e., JURASSIC PARK), while others feaure music not heard in the film proper (i.e., HOOK, JAWS 2 - I believe).

And one film features no music at all during the end credits: CONRACK.

RE: the ALWAYS end credits  

benefactor wrote:  

I believe that they were edited together from various cues of the score, some of which don't even appear on the OST CD!! I don't think that they were recorded as a single cue.

I created a version of the "End Credits" and in order to do so, I had to pull from two tracks of the OST, one track from the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration CD (which doesn't appear on the OST), and even a short segment from the DVD (which I couldn't locate on the OST). All in all, it's a nice listen, despite the additional hiss during the DVD segment.

I disagree! After short analyzing it seems to me that the cues in End Credits sounds a bit different from their music counterparts within the rest of the score. Even if “Credits” are edited that was made in a very musical and natural way. They are in no way seems as forced combination of different material. Perhaps Williams had his vision of End Credits and recorded special takes of those fragments so they became easy for editing.

p.s. thx99 - Thanks again for your edit version of the Always.

My favorites (in order of preference):

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. Jurassic Park

3.Born on the Fourth of July

4.Far and Away

5.Patriot

All above mentioned are good examples of thoroughly composed and not just copy/pasted End Credits suites(which have unfortunately become a norm these days).

Close Encounters of The Third Kind

The Visitors/Bye/End Title: The Special Edition

Justin

Good choice but I definitely love AOTC finale and end credits. Pure magic.