No More Film Score Magazine!!

Lurker

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You beat me too it.

Sad, even though I never read the magazine.

There is so little out there devoted to our weird little hobby/obsession, so it's a shame to see this one go.

Fortunatly the website and the CD releases will continue.

For the time being.

My heart skipped a beat when I read it....very sad. I'm relatively new to FSM (been reading for about 3 years, been subscribed for 2), but I also got all the backissues, and I have such a wonderful time reading them. It's the only magazine I've ever read religiously. It's a real shame, no more magazine to wait to come 2 months late (organization was not always their strongest suit, and it made 'em all the more endearing).

I really feel bad for Lukas. He put in so much effort and money into the magazine. No matter how glossy it got, it always had a distinctly personal feel about it. And I'll really miss the excellent articles by Jeff Bond, Doug Adams, and Scott Bettencourt, as well as the Kaplans funny and generally not very thought out contributions.

The end of an era, methinks.

I don't understand what is so saddening about making things more convenient. FSM is going the way of Encyclopedia Brittanica. It doesn't make sense to keep a magazine going when it is much more cost effective to just keep the internet site intact and operational. Especially since they make all of the acticles available for public viewing without having to buy a subscription.

Tim, who likes something for nothing :shakehead:

I am truly sorry they had to stop printing. I have never subscribed the magazine(poor as I am) or even read an issue of it but that is a loss none the less. There are not that many Film music magazines in the world. But if the site is still working and they are going to make those articles available for everyone it is a good thing.

I considered subscrubing........

I dont think there is much money to be made cleaning old Soviet Submarines at Polyarny. Plus there is the added risk of radiation sickness too. :?

Jerry definatly had a thing against FSM and Jeff Bond specifically.

The reasons are not very clear.

Some say it's because Jeff Bond gave some bad reviews on some of his scores (Air Force One for instance)

Another rumor is that someone in FSM wrote some insulting comments about Joel Goldsmith's weight, and that Jerry did not take kindly to these comments made about his son.

OK - found it:

Jeff Bond is a diehard enthusiast and seemingly totally and unspoiled type of fan, while Kendall is the bitter everything-I-don’t-already-like-is-crap type of fan. They are a good team though each of their approaches have made some enemies among the composers that they seek only to honestly worship and evaluate. Bond was such a fan that upon meeting film great Jerry Goldsmith he told him that he worshipped him as a god which immediately convinced Goldsmith that Bond was the type of scary uber fan to be avoided from that day forth. On the opposite end of this fan spectrum were composers like Hans Zimmer grew tired of having their work trashed by the magazine and sought initially to avoid contact and interaction with them.

Read the rest here.