John Goldfarb, please come home!

There's a lonesome feeling round the Pentagon,

You're the kind of hero we depend upon,

There's no-one as brave as you,

But no-one's as long overdue,

We somehow don't think it's right

to take a U2 plane and then drop out of sight.

[Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah]

Haven't heard a word since can't remember when,

Can it be that probably you're lost again?

Whether you're in Mexico or Mandalay,

get here quick - that is if you can find your way.

[Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah]

Come and lead a life of ease,

hear us begging on our knees,

Johnny Goldfarb, won't you please

just come on home!

[John Goldfarb, please come home...]

Whether you're in Mexico or Mandalay,

get here quick - that is if you can find your way,

come and lead a life of ease,

hear us begging on our knees,

Johnny Goldfarb, won't you please

just get on home!

Personally, I like this score. Some seemed to be disappointed that the music for a 1965 film starring Richard Crenna wasn't quite as challenging as The Rite of Spring. Lighten up, people!

Damien :yellow:

Thank you Damien for the lyrics and for your kind words in french.

I have just bought John Goldfarb, The Man who Loved Cat Dancing and the Poseidon Adventure and even though I have not fallen in love with them, I personally think there pretty good and I am pleased to listen to early Johnny Williams works.

• 4 years later...
It's corny. Sometimes its fun-corny, sometimes it's just excruciating.

It's probably Williams' worst score.

Augh!!!! Now I've got that damn song stuck in my head again......

Crap, now I've got that damn Penelope song in my head as well.

If you truly like Williams' music, then yes I would recommend getting the CD. While it's not something I'm going to listen to everyday it's fun to take out and give a spin every now and then.

• 7 months later...

(Bump.)

There's a July special offer over at Screenarchives for FSM releases,

and John Goldfarb is only 15 dollars, so I picked it up, (together with Tiomkin's 36 Hours).

Low price, and one can only support FSM's Williams releases I'd say :lol:

I love the two Fawz Cha Cha pieces at the end!

They make me smile like no other Williams pieces.

And I can't help but think of Gilligan's Island when I listen to them, which makes me wanna hear what he actually wrote for that show.

King Fawz Feast is fun too.

I love the two Fawz Cha Cha pieces at the end!

They make me smile like no other Williams pieces.

And I can't help but think of Gilligan's Island when I listen to them, which makes me wanna hear what he actually wrote for that show.

King Fawz Feast is fun too.

There are some funny bits on Gilligan's Island. Hope that gets released someday...

I'd like a release of Williams Gilligan's Island music. I think it would be fun to listen to every now and then.

I've always enjoyed this score along with Williams' other kitsch 60s scores. I certainly don't think it's awful. It just needs to be played when you're in a camp Austin Powers frame of mind. Then when it's finished put some Esquivel into the CD player. :lol:

• 1 year later...

Right now (started at 2 PM EST) and also at 4 AM tonight/tomorrow morning

(Too bad my cable company decided to drop Fox Movie Channel months ago for no apparent reason. I need it for my screen credits site!)

• 3 years later...

This is the most painful score I've ever heard from John Williams. The arabian wailing is the second worst part (the worst being the title theme with lyrics). This is the only John Williams score that I genuinely hate.

This score has some decent moments but in general it has to tap to the awfulness of the plot and the sound of its times. Pop music, orchestral score and Middle Eastern influences mixed with all but the kitchen sink makes a very silly combination.

Williams used themes and the song melody to tie all the zaniness together. But the music reflects the off-the-wall nature of the film.

Excuses! Jerry Goldsmith had no issues transcending the medicore nature of the films he scored.

Nor issues with writing most awful cheese for decent enough films either.

Excuses! Jerry Goldsmith had no issues transcending the medicore nature of the films he scored.

And he did ALOT of films that were just like "Really? Jerry? You scored THIS!?"

just listened to about 30 seconds of this score on youtube. MY EARS!!!. I don't know what's worse, that this score was written or that its actually by John Williams?

It's a terrible score, made even worse by the C&C arrangement.

I tried to make an album program out of it once (despite being totally unqualified for such things), but it didn't work out. I boiled it down to about 20-25 minutes of score, especialy tracks that had some sort of self-contained feel and not only wacko, grating mickey-mousing, but even these tracks were mostly unstable. So I just gave up.

I think the only way it would have worked as an album is if it had been rerecorded at the time, which Williams did with some of his other comedy scores -- expanding and rearranging some of the tracks to be self-contained pieces.

Bite your tongue!

I tried to make an album program out of it once (despite being totally unqualified for such things), but it didn't work out. I boiled it down to about 20-25 minutes of score, especialy tracks that had some sort of self-contained feel and not only wacko, grating mickey-mousing, but even these tracks were mostly unstable. So I just gave up.

Why even bother? I never understood why people bother with stuff like this or NOT WITHOUT MY DAUGHTER. It ain't gonna get better just because you play it upside down.

Bite your tongue!

Tham thhat hurth! Now bith yourth for recthiprocithy'th thake!

Why even bother? I never understood why people bother with stuff like this or NOT WITHOUT MY DAUGHTER. It ain't gonna get better just because you play it upside down.

True. Still, it's part of his filmography and I need to have it as a completist.

I enjoy this score for its crazy camp quality. I think the overall "hate" is quite undeserved. Yes, it's silly music for a silly comedy, but that's exactly the point. It's written with a lot of fun and panache.

True. Still, it's part of his filmography and I need to have it as a completist.

Ahhhh. The terrible burden of a completist's life. :john:

He, he....yeah, the pain we go through sometimes.

I enjoy this score for its crazy camp quality. I think the overall "hate" is quite undeserved. Yes, it's silly music for a silly comedy, but that's exactly the point. It's written with a lot of fun and panache.

If you feel your lifetime allows for such follies, by no means go at it. I collect JW for the musical strengths he has and zany 60's comedy scoring is surely not one of them (meaning that from Riddle to Mancini there were a host of writers better suited to the genre).

If I'd follow this logic, I should listen only to Mozart and Bach. C'mon, we're not talking about disgusting music... there's much worse stuff around (even if we look just at film music).

I'd also like to point out that the film is one of the worst I've ever seen, so there is only so much to inspire JW here.

By the way, here's the "program" I made with the most worthwhile listening cues:

1. Original Main Title (unused) 2:21
  2. Wrong Way Lawrence 2:50
  3. The Red Sea 2:03
  4. The Ladies Enter 2:56
  5. Iceberg Melts 4:20
  6. Fawz Cha-Cha #1 (mono) 1:53
  7. Jenny's Big Party / Snake Dance / End Title 4:39
  8. John Goldfarb Please Come Home (single) 2:05

Unfortunately, even some of these cues fail to 'stick' in a style, so even in this shortened format, it doesn't hold up very well (although better than the C&C). I tried to balance the calm with the upbeat and frenetic, which is another difficult task without going into the tracks themselves and editing them.