Can anyone recommend some film music-based 'marches'?

APBez

I'm really loving film music with a march-like quality at the moment. Of course, JW has composed many and I don't think any of his have passed me by.

However, I'm wondering about other composers/scores. I've been listening to 'Small Soldiers' and 'Chicken Run' a lot lately. Many tracks on these OSTs have the said march-like quality. I think of 'Patton' too and 'CutThroat Island'.

Can anyone recommend others?

Thanks in advance,

APBez

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

March from Things to Come by Sir Arthur Bliss (from the 1936 movie Things to Come) is one of the most fun and exciting marches out there. I can strongly recommend it. There's a nice recording of this on a CD called The Film Music of Arthur Bliss. I think it's on Chandos but I can't remember. English composer/arranger Phillip Lane reconstructed some of the score for this release.

I have that, jedimaster. I also very much like the rejected score by William Walton

I find that Goodwin's score has much more energy though

Things to Come.....

EDIT - Sorry Mr Twinkle - me being a bit thick there....

Not a problem, Sir! Glad to see I'm not the only one who loves this piece!

By the way, the CD to get is:

The Film Music of Sir Arthur Bliss

BBC Philharmonic/Rumon Gamba

CHANDOS CHAN9896

It includes several premier recordings, including some reconstructed music from Things to Come, plus music from Caesar and Cleopatra along with others. It's a fun CD!

David Arnold's Independence Day has a lot of militaristic music. What comes to mind further are March of the Lava, Supergirl Main Theme, Back to the Future III Theme, The Sand Volcano, Major Man, Sky Captain Main Title, Ben Hur Parade.

Also, Arnold's Stargate has a march that is the theme for the underground military complex they are in during much of the first third of the film.