Saddest piece of music

Gamecube

I would really like to know in your opinion, what is the saddest piece of music you have ever heard. I would like it if you would not base it upon what is happening in the film. Think of the music by itself, with no recognition of what is happening in the movie. What music makes you cry or want to cry bawling , while listening to. Don't say Darth's Death or something like that unless you really think it was the saddest music you have ever heard.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with Merkel here, the Theme to "Schindler's List" takes the cake for saddest music.

The final parts in A.I. are also sad, but that's only because I know what is happening in the film, and not as an independent peice of music.

I dunno the name of the track, but Track 11 on James Horner's Glory is incredibly touching and pretty sad....I've never actually seen the movie, so it's the only score I own of which I haven't seen the movie. I'm sure it has to be of a scene where it shows how many people have died.

The saddest piece of music would DEFINATELY be the George Lucas edited TPM and AOTC tracks. Its brings tears to my eyes just to think about it. bawling

Lol. Spoil the mood on such a sombre thread, whydontyou?

Much of the Band of Brother's music is kind of sad, but often elicits a more romantic air about them. The saddest would have to be Headscarf. A great piece, where one of the soldiers finds the headscarf of a nurse he had befriended among the rubble of the church at the Bulge. Very touching music indeed.

i think the theme from schindler's list with perlman playing. that , for me, is the saddest piece of music. there is SO much emotion and i just want to listen to it again and again.

"Immolation - With Our Lives We Give Life" from Schindler's List. Definitely.

And "Requiem for Evita", the opening track of that soundtrack. Without the pictures it's overwhelming (just humming it and thinking of the real sound of the piece wets my eyes), and with the accompanying imagery, even more.

Several Parts of Poledouris's "Les Misérables", especially at about 9 minutes into track 2 ("Valjean's Confession")

The theme from "Return to Paradise", although I can't absolutely say that the impact the music has on me has nothing to do with having seen the film.

"The Face of Pan", Hook

"Qui-Gon's Funeral", TPM

...and Yes, "Across the Stars". Listening to it in a darkened room, the volume a bit up, and envisioning the endless Space passing by, it's overwhelming.

"Cinque's Theme", Amistad

"Erinnerung", Das Boot (Beautiful piece with guitars and strings)

"Brother Morphine", Beyond Rangoon

-Chris

Here is a piece not by Williams that I find moving, Herrmann Fahrenheit 451.

I agree with you Morn, especially the finale of F451. Otherwise, I would say many parts of SL, but "sad" pieces don't usually make me cry, just make me a sombre and sometimes sullen SOB. It's the "ecstatically romantic" JW pieces that eventually bring me to tears:

"Love Theme from Superman" & "Princess Leia's Theme" (once upon a time, anyway)

"Adventures on Earth" (last five minutes)

Finale of CE3K

And apart from filmscores:

ending from Steve Reich's Different Trains

ending from John Adam's Harmonium

Finale of CE3K is anything but sad. It might make you cry but not in a sad way. It is as uplifting and lifeaffirming as a piece of music can get.

Have any of you ever heard Adagio for Strings? I'd imagine you have. I'm not sure exactly why Samuel Barber wrote this piece...what was going through his head...but God...it's got so much pain in it...yet so much life and hope.

Imagine a 100 member marching band...high school. Imagine them all talking and fooling around in the band room before practice. I started to play Adagio for Strings on the speaker systems in our band room...and by the end of the piece...the room was DEAD SILENT. You couldn't even hear anyone breathing.

After that, I gave them a 20 minute talk about what music does for the soul...and they even stayed silent through that speech. It's such a powerful piece.

Really? Is that a fact, or is that the impression you get? Either way, you are right in my opinion. Music can be what we make of it. I am in love with the piece whether it be about failed romance, or his dog dying.

Imagining it about a failed romance really puts it into perspective though.

Here is the stuff that makes ya cry:

Stored Memories and Monica's Theme

The Search for the Blue Fairy

Auschwitz-Birkenau

Stolen Memories

Making the List

Give Me Your Names

Immolation (With Our Lives, We Give Life)

Far From Home/E.T. Alone

The Beginning of a Friendship

Losing E.T.

And some more not by Williams

Cleopatra (Alex North)

Love And Hate

Grant Me An Honorable Way To Die

The Agony & The Ecstasy (Alex North)

Julius And End Title

I agree with Johnmusic -- Barber's Adagio for Strings. Check out the Santa Clara Vanguard (drum and bugle corps) version from 2000.

I could go through all my cds and pick more out, but only a few things jump to mind right away: Losing ET, most of the Schindler's List score, a good deal of the Angela's Ashes score, Empty Chairs at Empty Tables and Bring Him Home (Les Miserables), One Song Glory (Rent)...

chris

what was going through his head...

Failed romance...

Are you absolutely certain about that, Morn? I believe at that point that he had already met his life partner, with whom he was involved for at least the next thirty or forty years.

I think that it would have to be either the theme to Schindler's List, Across the stars or Salut D'amore. bawling

For me, it has to be just about all of Schindler's list. The only music that made me cry.

For other emotional ones-

In Amistad, any time the theme is played in other variations

In Black Hawk Down 'Gortoz A Ran'. Lisa Gerrard's voice is one of the few I've heard that has so much emotional depth.

Have any of you ever heard Adagio for Strings?  I'd imagine you have.  I'm not sure exactly why Samuel Barber wrote this piece...what was going through his head...but God...it's got so much pain in it...yet so much life and hope.

Very sad piece of music, it always reminds me of the time Frank Costanza was serving in the war, and they got bad meat, and he tried to get the right combination of spices to make it better, but the whole company got a virus from the food. Very sad.

Very sad piece of music, it always reminds me of the time Frank Costanza was serving in the war, and they got bad meat, and he tried to get the right combination of spices to make it better, but the whole company got a virus from the food. Very sad.

:jump:

It took me a minute, but I got it!

Figo, who was here typing away the other night as Platoon was showing on TBS.

Frank Costanza! That show was genius.

Barber- 2nd movement, Piano Concerto- this one is as sad as Adagio for Strings (I think he was a depressive)

Mahler- Adagio mvmnt. 6th Symphony- The composer had premonition about the death of one of his children, and the thought of this is perfectly distilled in this movement. Also "Songs on the Death of Children" song cycle. All of the pieces are depressing!

John Adams- The Wound Dresser. Haunting and incredibly moving. Text of Walt Whitman's experiences during the Civil War tending to the wounded soldiers. Amazingly articulated by the voice of Sanford Sylvian.

Prokofiev- Parts of Ivan the Terrible oratorio.

Ravel- Pavane for a Dead Princess (what SHOULD have been played during Diana's funeral, not to be morbid, but it's so sad and yet so beautiful).

Film Scores:

Angela's Ashes- uh, most of it. Very depressing but one of my faves.

Field of Dreams- 2nd last track when Costner meets his dad. I usually don't like Horner but this one got to me.

Murder in the First- Chris Young's oft overlooked score. Lotsa Vaughan Williams references, but I still love it.

Cobb- Homecoming, totally in the vein of Mahler. Amazing!

Fahrenheit 451- last 2 tracks are surprisingly tender considering the temperment of the man who wrote the score.

oh, soooo many more.

Williams:

Theme from Schindler's List

Hymn to the Fallen

Somewhere in my Memory when played mournfully can bring memories of Christmases past and with them a few tears

The Face of Pan

Saying Goodbye from E.T.

The Reunion from A.I.

Harry's Family Theme

Love Theme from AOTC

Sean's Theme from Minority Reoprt

Non Williams:

Cast Away and Forrest Gump (Silvestri)

Somewhere in Time and Out of Africa (John Barry)

Titanic (James Horner)

The Breaking of the Fellowship (Howard Shore)

:cry:

Ray Barnsbury

A few potential tear jerkers in the Williams canon. Or, at the very least, goose-bump hair-risers...

Jane Eyre:

Trio- The Meeting (So beautiful, it's sad)

Superman: The Movie:

Leaving Home

E.T.:

E.T. & Me

Adventure On Earth

Hook:

The Face Of Pan

Farewell Neverland

Schindler's List:

Immolation (With Our Lives, We Give Life)

Auschwitz-Birkenau

I Could Have Done More

Remembrences

Saving Private Ryan:

Hymn To The Fallen

A.I.:

Abandoned In The Woods

The Search for the Blue Fairy

Stored Memories and Monica's Theme

The Reunion

Off the top of my head...(and I'm going to try and stay away from Schindler's list..that's in a depressing league all it's own)

Angela's Ashes - Main theme

Stored Memories (the vocal section, could be known as City In Ice) -AI

Cast Away-makes me wanna cry

Shawshank Redemption - End Titles

Redemption - JNHoward from Flatliners

and pretty almost anything from

Corigliano's Red Violin - (this score actually rivals Schindler's List)

Those are just off the top..

Jamesyboy - who loves a good depressing orchestral score every now and then..

Duh, that was me, have no idea why it logged me out!

Too bad you didn't stay logged out! :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I prefer happy adventurous music. Sad stuff ain't my thing. LOL

After that, I gave them a 20 minute talk about what music does for the soul...and they even stayed silent through that speech.  It's such a powerful piece.

Johnmusic, which conductor is the one you played? Plus, which conductor you like the best for this piece?

Mine is most certainly, Bernstein's with the Los Angeles Philharmonic. He doesn't rush it, plus, he squeeze every ounce of emotions out of the piece.

Also, what did you say all those 20 minutes???

Fahrenheit 451- last 2 tracks are surprisingly tender considering the temperment of the man who wrote the score.

He was infact a very sensetive man who used his temperment for defence because he became so easily insulted :mrgreen:

what was going through his head...

Failed romance...

Are you absolutely certain about that, Morn? I believe at that point that he had already met his life partner, with whom he was involved for at least the next thirty or forty years.

I am certain it is about romance, failed romance was just presuming.

Some of the below cues would fuel my emotions:

Arlington from JFK

The Early Days, Massapequa from BOT4J

ET & Me (the album arrangement) ET Alone & the impeccable finale! (leaves me emotionally drained every time!)

Imaginary Air Battle & Toys, Planes, Home & Hearth from Empire Of The Sun

Stored Memories from A.I.

Omaha Beach, The Last Battle & Hymn To The Fallen from SPR

Immolation from Schindler's List

:cry:

:cry: Hymn to the Fallen

'At First Sight' from BTTF part 3, which can also be heard in the main titles after the the BTTF theme.

Cast Away theme.

Finale from Edward Scissorhands

Remembering Childhood from Hook

Christmas Star from Home Alone 2

David And The Supermecha from A.I.

Main Theme from Cast Away

Lone Pine Mall from Back To The Future (when Doc is found dead and then revives)

And probably several others I can't think of.

I agree with all the Williams examples posted - particularly Schindler's List and "E.T. and Me" from E.T.

But a good candidate from non-Williams scores is the track "May Angels Fly Thee Home" from the soundtrack to Merlin by Trevor Jones.

What about "Anakin's Theme" from TPM???

I mean not only is the theme extremely moving it also reminds you of what became of Star Wars with that film which should bring instant tears to anyone's eyes.

-Rogue Leader who just made SW prequel bash #3,457 :angry: