Williams Struggling with Munich

Jacck

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:| Williams has not recorded a single note of the score yet. Tough that it has to be recorded in such a rush.

*also sending good vibes to John Williams*

"You can do it John!"

As alarming as that news is, the post below on that page is even more disturbing.

Yeah quite a raving.

:| Williams has not written a single note of the score yet.

RECORDED. "Williams has yet to record a single note for the soundtrack." Something that can be done in 1 or 2 weeks.

Don't be so alarmist please, trust Williams bowdown

I corrected my post. I read/thought that one sentence wrong. Sorry for all the fuss. I am easily exitable fellow remember :oops: .

As alarming as that news is, the post below on that page is even more disturbing.

I like the rebuttal below that. :wave:

Too rush for a Oscar worthy score to be made. But let's hope it will be nominated eventually..

It could be the first pure piano score by JW if no time given.

Too rush for a Oscar worthy score to be made. But let's hope it will be nominated eventually..

All piano score. An interesting notion.

Williams should write more standout piano pieces. All those he has written thus far have been wondeful and many of his themes receive great piano variations on the albums.

Get ready for Anakin's Betrayal variation # 3.

K.M.

Oh come on. Don't be such a cynic. Why do you not hope he will write a good and different score instead of condemning the attempt before hand.

LOL LOL LOL LOL Sometime (=most of the time) I take issues involving Williams too seriously. Perhaps it is I that should lighten up :wave:

Performed live, like in the silent movie days? LOL

No, I think the situation is different. Williams is afraid his score might be rejected and replaced by something Hans Zimmer writes in 3 days, so he takes his time and makes sure not to record any music until it's too late to reject it.

Marian - :wave:

Oh Williams is such a crafty devil Marian!:)

A mere thought about the silent movies style piano music made me laugh. Mickey mousy piano music for the chase sequences and honkey tonkey piano style in the background. Dramatic chords slammed with full force when the bad guys appear LOL Quite a different and refreshing score.

On Film Score Monthly Message Board, Dan Goldwasser (of Soundtrack.net) says John Williams will record the score in a couple of weeks and that, from what he knows, he's at good point with the writing (he's composing the score since September).

Considering that King Kong will be released almost at the same time and that James Newton Howard still hasn't finished writing... well, I don't think there are real problems with Munich.

Just like all media, this article is trying to get a story out of nothing. This happens very frequently with movie productions. It'd be news if a movie production WASN'T under pressure to get the film done. It's probably far more accurate to say that Williams is still working on the score, but "struggling" sounds more alarming!

I seriously doubt he's struggling with a film like Munich. We all know Williams can write film scores in his sleep.

Joe: Insert lame joke about the quality of recent Williams scores

The fact is, this movie already had a tight schedule, what with shooting the picture in the summer for a Fall/Winter release. They're under pressure to get the film done before the release date??? I could have predicted that six months ago.

Jeff

A composer struggling to finish a score that he's been writing for, at most, 4 weeks so far...yeah, that's clear evidence of a decline.

thats right, Jeff its obvious that John wrote some of his previous scores in his sleep.

Joe: Insert lame joke about the quality of recent Williams scores
thats right,  Jeff its obvious that John wrote some of his previous scores in his sleep.

So predictable... LOL

Jeff

Disturbing? Nah! The "Jewish media" thing was hilarious -- what an idiot!

Presumed Innocent is about as much of an all piano score as I'd want to hear.

You should watch the film/listen to the score of "The Firm." All piano, with some interesting things done by David Grusin.

Anyway.

I wasn't fretting when Williams was pressed to get "Catch Me If You Can" done in time. It turned out well, AND was nominated for an Oscar!

As a member of the media, I know we tend to make mountains out of mole hills. This is one example.

Well, maybe if Spielberg was more concerned with putting out a good product and take his time, rather then rushing it out because he wants another gold statue, then Williams wouldn't be "struggling" (whatever the hell that supposed to mean)

Tim

No, I think the situation is different. Williams is afraid his score might be rejected and replaced by something Hans Zimmer writes in 3 days, so he takes his time and makes sure not to record any music until it's too late to reject it.

Marian - :)

I doubt that. If Spielberg and Williams can't trust each other, then something more than the score is wrong.

~Sturgis, still looking forward to this score/film and not considering this to be "news" . . . also that was extremely predictable, Joe, now I think you're kidding more than ever

Marian - :)

I doubt that. If Spielberg and Williams can't trust each other, then something more than the score is wrong.

Marian was obviously kidding too :(

Presumed Innocent is about as much of an all piano score as I'd want to hear.

You should watch the film/listen to the score of "The Firm." All piano, with some interesting things done by David Grusin.

Better he should watch/listen to The Conversation, probably the best piano score around.

thats right,  Jeff its obvious that John wrote some of his previous scores in his sleep.

Are you even still a Williams fan?

yes, unlike most I won't hesitate to call John's weak scores out.

So in your opinion, Joe, are there any strong scores in the last decade besides Potter?

Strong? You mean "easy on the ear", right? No, that's not correct either. Replace "easy on the ear" with "all too familiar". There, that's better! I know he wrote much more interesting music than Potter 1. For instance, the first track on 'A.I' is a prime example of a Williams that is both good and new (and it's "new" while still retaining his own voice).

Since Dan Goldwasser from Soundtrack.net posted on FSM's board that it's 2 weeks before any music is to be recorded and Williams has been working on this score for awhile I find this a non issue.

As the movie deals with terrorism, will it have a score similar to Williams' own BLACK SUNDAY score done in 1977??

As the movie deals with terrorism, will it have a score similar to Williams' own BLACK SUNDAY score done in 1977??

Something in that vein would be nice.

Something in that vein would be nice.

It's very likely, IMHO. Both Revenge of the Sith and War of the Worlds contain several nods and similarities to the score for that John Frankenheimer picture, so I guess Johnny probably has listened again to it in recent times ROTFLMAO

I suspect the Munich main theme will be something similar: an elegy played by trumpet or french horn, backed by thick string writing. But I'm guessing there will be similarities with more recent Williams' "dark" scores, such as Nixon and Sleepers.