Star Wars Christmas Special?

GoodMusician

Ok... maybe it's because I wan't around when Star Wars first came out, but it wasn't until last night that I ran into this interesting tidbit about Star Wars.

I ended up looking up some information and for those of you, like me, who weren't around November 17th, 1973(something like that) to see this... here's the jyst:

George Lucas created a side story to go along with star wars, featuring the talents of all the normal actors. There was a live action part and a cartoon.

The live action, from what I can figure, deals with Chewie's family... I didn't even know he had one... his son's name is lumpy... heheheheh...

anyways, Chewie is going back to Kashyyk--which is really the mat painting of another planet tinted green, to celebrate "Life Day" with his wife, son, and his wife's father who live in a tree house that looks exactly like the buildings we saw in Episode III based on the artwork by Ralf McQuary(sp?) if memory serves...

Anyways, I had NEVER heard of this... and never seen it before until last night...

It looks kinda cookey but at the same time, it's star wars.

I was curious who did the music though, I can't seem to find out who that was...--and I'm guessing it's not availible just like the movie isn't.

Oh! It was on CBS... a TV movie thing. It has B. Arthur in it though! lol...

and some music video like things too... I dunno...

From what I read, Leah was drunk the whole time lol..

They're all wearing their Episode 4 costumes... Lea with her buns in a hair and such...

I dunno... anyone else seen this? I kinda want to now lol

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen this (I'm too young), but this is the infamous 1978 "Star Wars Holiday Special". It's always been discussed since it first aired on TV and it was highly criticized by most fans. By now, it's common speculation (I don't know if that's real) that George Lucas himself is trying to destroy every single copy of that, and we could assume that it will NEVER get released neither on VHS, nor on DVD (though several bootlegs have been distributed). You can learn a little more about this 1978 show here.

This is somehting that should only be seen once. I saw it during the one and only tv broadcast. Where did you manage to see it? AFAIK GL said he would never let this be seen again.

If you go on some sharewares you can download it... I think that's how I ran into it actually if memory serves... I was trying to find something star wars...

OH YES! THe Episode I bootleg and I ran into that cause I 'd just typed in Star Wars ...

You can also order it online...

But has anyone seen it?

Yes, I've seen it.

It is bad. And it's not so much the "Star Wars" parts that are bad (well, they are pretty awful), but it's the random musical non-SW-ish sequences that are the worst.

However, it is something every Star Wars fan should see once. More than once can be dangerous, but you do have to see it one time.

Although I'm not positive, I feel pretty sure that Neil would frown up my linking to a bootleg version that can be downloaded online. However, there is a SW fansite that has been around forever (and no, not TFN) that has it available for download. They've had it for several years, so I'm sure if LFL wanted it taken down, they've done so by now. A simple search will pull it up. (Think "Horror beyond imagination")

Now, about the music. It has some original score (and...songs...), and it also features themes from ANH (some as...songs...). Oddly, there's a theme (for the Wookiees, I believe) that sounds very similar to a bit from TPM. I'll try to make a little comparison clip sometime.

So now...goodnight, but not goodbye. :)

I have seen it.....it is indeed horrific.....

....but the funniest bit for me is how much Shewie's little one sounds like Cartman from South Park......

....but the funniest bit for me is how much Shewie's little one sounds like Cartman from South Park......

That would be Lumpy.

The music for the Holiday Special was composed, adapted and arranged by Ian Fraser

Neil

Fortunately we were overseas in Germany at the time and I missed it. Although my mom did manage to torture me with the dreaded christmas album that was released.

I saw a portion of this when it came out in '78. I'm not sure why I didn't see the whole thing, but I think that was for the best. The only thing I can truly recall is Bea Arthur in the hut and I distinctly remember asking my mom, what's Maude doing in Star Wars? LOL

Although my mom did manage to torture me with the dreaded christmas album that was released.

I have missed this one!!!!!! Didn't know a thing about this!!!!!! Must get one, must get one.....

I chipped in to buy a bootleg of this at an obscure comic book store in Albany, NY with 2 friends. It was really awful, but we had a lot of fun making fun of it. Bea Arther! Art Carney! Chewie's Grandpa watching adult entertainment!

It is a keeper. I will keep it alive for future generations on DVD.