LOTR in Memoirs

tony69

Memoirs is a very beautiful score IMO, best one this year (VERY oscar worthy), but i keep on hearing a snippet of LOTR. Does anyone else hear the Gondor theme? This is in one of the most beautiful tracks, Confluence at segment 3.20. I know the melodies are similar and no one was plagiarizing the other. But the fact that the horn plays DAG, in the same key that the horn plays it in the Gondor track of the ROTK score keeps on making me think OMG LOTR! Maybe it's just me. anyone else have this problem?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming he's talking about those first three notes, but technically it's the same notes at the X-Files theme as well, so what does that tell you?

Absolutely nothing (say it again!).

Tim

er, the location for memoirs is Track 16 (confluence) at 3.20. and the Gondor theme. Probably the best location for similarity sake is in the Fellowship Extended edition, when Boromir is in old Gondor. There's a hint of the gondor theme in the horn. it's probably just me tho. it's three notes. but the D quarter- A quarter- G half thing in french horn is why it made me think ROTK.

er, the location for memoirs is Track 16 (confluence) at 3.20. and the Gondor theme. Probably the best location for similarity sake is in the Fellowship Extended edition, when Boromir is in old Gondor. There's a hint of the gondor theme in the horn. it's probably just me tho. it's three notes. but the D quarter- A quarter- G half thing in french horn is why it made me think ROTK.

You know I looked a track name called 'Confluence' And i checked all tracks. I must be blind. Sorry for everything.

Do you know how many threads there would be if we took every piece of score that had two or three shared notes that something else had? The first note in "Confluence" is a D. Let's start naming all of the potential coincidences based on this information. It will astound you.

It's the same thing with the Harry Potter in RotS thread, it just seems people are trying waaay to hard to connect Williams to himself or others by saying there's a resemblance with something else. Let it go.

Tim

Download this (It was posted before, its from a Spanish SCORes site, and this is a trivia about similar snipptets, there are some williams, but Horner wins :angry:) http://www.bsospirit.com/trivia/triviaparecidos.zip

Fellowship theme is the 3rd line. Since it is a trivia, we dont know where the other two clips come from... and no solutions there...

BTW most of those clips have to be conincidences, they are very short...

sigh i know. its not about the notes. its about the fact that its a horn playing those notes in the same rhythm that made me conscious.

but yeah, fellowship theme is a rip off. there's a sunday hymn that sounds just like it. and the sunday hymn has definately been around longer than this "fellowship theme"

Well,in "Comming of War",I do hear a similarity between the chords and the ones in the unreleased "doomed love" motif of RotS(whenever Anakin talks about his new dark side powers)

k.M.

which is completely understandable since ROTS was a few months ago. It's the same period. He probably has a huge catelogue of themes and being somewhat old, forgot that he used it in ROTS so he put it in Memoirs :mrgreen:

I hear only the main theme of Memoirs there thought he french horns make it sound somewhat like Gondor theme. I would have not noticed that if you had not brought it up tony69. And that is nothing that bothers me in the least. BTW the Memoirs score is awesome!

sigh i know. its not about the notes. its about the fact that its a horn playing those notes in the same rhythm that made me conscious.  

but yeah, fellowship theme is a rip off. there's a sunday hymn that sounds just like it. and the sunday hymn has definately been around longer than this "fellowship theme"

Do you happen to know which hymn you are talking about? I've always thought that, but have never been able to place my finger on it.

Do you happen to know which hymn you are talking about?  I've always thought that, but have never been able to place my finger on it.

It is called "This Is My Father's World" ( Words: Maltbie D. Babcock (1858-1901)

Music: Franklin L. Shepherd (1852-1930))

and it bears a shocking recemblance to the Hobbit Hymn.

Either the director temp tracked ROTK all over the film or Williams was just grasping for ideas.

Oh yeah, as if the Irish Enya sound would fit them Chinese geishas. Very good, Stefancos!

Do you happen to know which hymn you are talking about?  I've always thought that, but have never been able to place my finger on it.

It is called "This Is My Father's World" ( Words: Maltbie D. Babcock (1858-1901)

:mrgreen: Wow, you're right. Now I won't be able to sing that without thinking of Hobbits anymore. I'm a song leader at my church and I haven't led this in a while, but maybe next time I will. I probably won't be able to stop smiling.

:mrgreen: Wow, you're right. Now I won't be able to sing that without thinking of Hobbits anymore. I'm a song leader at my church and I haven't led this in a while, but maybe next time I will. I probably won't be able to stop smiling.

Yeah, that's kinda freaky. You can listen to a MIDI here. The beginning definitely sounds like it.

Tim

Go to the Magpie's Nest site here http://www.geocities.com/magpie930/main.htm and to the Similarities with other music section listen to the soundclips piece with choir.

This is old new guys. We discussed this back in 2001.

But it distracted us from the discussing JW borrowing from LOTR didn't it :mrgreen:

(Damn I should have not said that, I should not have said that!)

Memoirs is a very beautiful score IMO, best one this year (VERY oscar worthy), but i keep on hearing a snippet of LOTR. Does anyone else hear the Gondor theme? This is in one of the most beautiful tracks, Confluence at segment 3.20. I know the melodies are similar and no one was plagiarizing the other. But the fact that the horn plays DAG, in the same key that the horn plays it in the Gondor track of the ROTK score keeps on making me think OMG LOTR! Maybe it's just me. anyone else have this problem?

There's klingons, Braveheart, Indiana Jones and mexican hat dance in LOTR