The JWFan.net Symphony Orchestra

scissorhands

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can i be 'test audience'?

Manuel, who can just play simple melodies in the wood flute (or whatever is called) and hasnt try to chorus chant.

I dont have a very good ear and timing either...

Luke, who cant believe he likes excellent music as tonedeaf as he is...

I play the piano (a bit) and the violin. I only join if I can be the concertmaster. (I'd also like to play multiple violin parts.)

Can i be 'test audience'?

Manuel, who can just play simple melodies in the wood flute (or whatever is called) and hasnt try to chorus chant.

I dont have a very good ear and timing either...

Luke, who cant believe he likes excellent music as tonedeaf as he is...

I couldn't have said it better (for myself I mean). I also want to be test audience :)

any room for a mellophone? its the only instrument that i can play reasonably well.

How is it that you play mellophone and not horn? I always thought mellophone players were normally hornists who just switched for marching band.

Ray Barnsbury

If you're going to be needing a timpanist, I suggest you go with me. I hate to sound like I'm bragging (which I guess I am), but I've been playing percussion since I was 5 years old (now 28 years old). I have attended the Interlochen Arts Academy for 4 years of high school, I attended The Juilliard School and the Indiana University School of Music for college and am now a professional percussionist. During my years at Indiana University I was the timpanist for the IU Philharmonic (the school's top orchestra) and have performed some of the most well known pieces in the classical repertoire gamut.

If you need a timpanist...I'm your guy! (or a percussionist, fot that matter!)

any room for a mellophone? its the only instrument that i can play reasonably well.

How is it that you play mellophone and not horn? I always thought mellophone players were normally hornists who just switched for marching band.

What's a mellophone?

- Marc, imagining someone using xylophone sticks to thump on giant marshmallows. :)

Depsite my name, I cannot play a lick of music.

But I'd love to be a part of the choir, if we re-create "Duel of the Fates" or the Emperor's theme. Or maybe have a male vocal to accompany "Where Dreams Are Born."

Ray Barnsbury

well, in high school i performed on both. i cant play very well using mostly my top lip and my tone reflected more trumpet than french horn. when i went to college i decided to stick with the mellophone and only play during football season. i actually enjoy mellophone more than horn. im a little different than your normal horn player.

What's a mellophone?

- Marc, imagining someone using xylophone sticks to thump on giant marshmallows. :)

i describe a mellophone as a trumpet in the key of F that sounds kind of like a french horn. trumpet fingerings.

mellophone.jpg

Depsite my name, I cannot play a lick of music.

But I'd love to be a part of the choir, if we re-create "Duel of the Fates" or the Emperor's theme. Or maybe have a male vocal to accompany "Where Dreams Are Born."

Hmmmm.... Emperor's theme, you must be Bass or Baritone then.

List updated. (Mainly) more strings are needed, as well as a couple of bassoons and 1 or 2 harps :)

Children and women (and countertenors) would be very welcome to the chorus.

What's a mellophone?

i describe a mellophone as a trumpet in the key of F that sounds kind of like a french horn. trumpet fingerings.

mellophone.jpg

Oh. Okay. 8O

List updated.

Ahem...would you mind checking the lovely post at the bottom of page 2? Some fella said he can chip in on trumpet too...

more strings are needed

Another violin here, Scissorhands. col legno and sul tasto both specialities, but both usually inadvertent!

I can also get by on banjo (tenor) but not up to Deliverance standard yet. I ain't no albino boy.

Damien ;)

mmm too many conductors here.

You aren't confusing conducting with masturbatton, are you? :mrgreen:

I thought that said something else the first time I read it! 8O

I need to get my mind out of the gutter.

Tim

I believe it was a pun, meaning "the action of waving the finger or an elongated instrument (i.e., a pencil) in the air while listening to music, without any professional skill or training."

We still don't have enough strings players.

As said before, violins can be duplicated easily. You're right on that we do need violas, cellos and contrabasses (or at least one of each).

I believe it was a pun, meaning "the action of waving the finger or an elongated instrument (i.e., a pencil) in the air while listening to music, without any professional skill or training."

Couldnt said it better.

But i dont meant it as a pun. We all do it (even the ones who deny it :| ) and its a healthy exercise. 8O

This is going to be hard to do unless all of us have some kind of way of recording this stuff and making a computer file out of it which could later be reedited with the new track. I guess one person would start by recording their part, then send it to the next person to overdub, and eventually get it around to everyone. This is going to be next to impossible to pull off right, though I'm sure something like this would get better the more we do it. I guess if you guys (and 1 gal) are really serious about doing this, I suppose we should pick a piece to put together. Preferrably something short and fun, like a piece from Home Alone or something akin to that. But I don't know, I guess we should make a list and vote. :?

Tim, who's listening to "Dogs, Ponies & Old Ruins" from Images :thumbup:

This is going to be hard to do unless all of us have some kind of way of recording this stuff and making a computer file out of it which could later be reedited with the new track.  I guess one person would start by recording their part, then send it to the next person to overdub, and eventually get it around to everyone.  This is going to be next to impossible to pull off right, though I'm sure something like this would get better the more we do it.  I guess if you guys (and 1 gal) are really serious about doing this, I suppose we should pick a piece to put together.  Preferrably something short and fun, like a piece from Home Alone or something akin to that.  But I don't know, I guess we should make a list and vote.  :?  

The idea is nice, but it won't work this way since there's no clue on tempo etc. other than the previously recorded part. At least everyone has to read the score carefully (mainly regarding dynamics), and instead of a conductor a click track should be made with all tempo changes. If everybody records his part to this click track, at least there will be some temporal coherence.

MSM - who can play and could record the violin 1 and violin 2 parts of Flight to Neverland.

It would make more sense for there to be a person who is a "central mixer/editor" so-to-speak.. Someone who could gather all the recordings, and apply the proper acoustic effects to the recordings, and sort them all out in that sense.

The question of tempo is a difficult one indeed. Honestly, if we used a click track based on a strict metronome setting then we'll lose a lot of flavor if we're unable to use rubato when applicable.

Tim

Well, we could all take a poll on a conductor, and have that person videotape themselves conducting some piece we agreed upon; then they would send the tape off to one of the performers who would record themselves playing to that tape. The tape would then be sent off to the next person, who would repeat the process. This way we wold have a set tempo and rubato... what do you guys think?

-Kyle