The JWFan.net Symphony Orchestra

scissorhands

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, we were actually planning on playing together?  Though we live all over the planet??

I took the liberty of plotting the locations of all the people who have their locations listed on a map of the earth. Confirming my original hypothesis, the approximate circumcenter (not a pun), taking population magnitude into account, was somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean. Please keep in mind that this was not influenced by any mathematical equation -- it was an "eyeballing" thing. Intelligent eyeballing, but eyeballing nonetheless. Anyways, I decided that the Canary Islands would be nice; they're pretty and all. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a concert hall there, so I moved it to Morocco. After that, I decided to make it easier for you European Union folks (I've heard travelling to Africa is a hassle) and move it to Seville, in Spain (Gibraltar did not turn up as having a concert hall, unless anyone can confirm or deny). Voila, Seville it is. See you there.

Luke, although you get to stay close to home, you have to arrange to pick us up and translate for us and all that host-y stuff. :P

Oh, and the other option is to wait about 50 years until I conquer the solar system, and then we can hold it on the concert hall I build on the Canary Islands for this express purpose.

Well if Gibraltar doesn't have a concert hall, I recommend moving it back to your original conclusion: The Canary Islands, preferrably Grand Canary. They're still possessed by Spain anyway, and is still quite a nice place. All work and no play makes JWFan.net Symphony dull boys (and 1 girl)!!!!

Tim

In this way you would reduce the conductor's task to just giving the tempos, since all indications of dynamics etc. are different for each instrument group. It's not much better than just using a click track. It's right that rubato's are more difficult to perform this way, but I don't think there is a better alternative (besides playing together). Remind that a click track can contain all tempo changes, including rubatos.

OH MY. Seville is 'just' 1000 kilometers from my home. Gibraltar's closest Spanish village is whether my father was born so i have family there...

Anyway we have a pretty good concert hall here in my city. And we are having the 2008 universal expo here, so i think it would be great... :) Oh and there are flight from london for 6 euros more or less depending on the day...

In the Canary islands... maybe we could record into the crater of the Teide... it may have some reberb there....

There arent Gila monsters in there. Dont they live in the Arizona desert and surrounding deserts? There are Lizards, but they just wait for people to drop food...

And we do not 'possess' the Canary islands. They are like any other region on Spain... In fact we are the only Coloniser country not having any 'conquered status' territory out there...

Wait, we were actually planning on playing together?  Though we live all over the planet??
Anyways, I decided that the Canary Islands would be nice; they're pretty and all. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a concert hall there, so I moved it to Morocco.

The Alfredo Kraus auditorium, in Gran Canarias.

30a-krau.jpgkraus02.jpg

cam1.jpgberganza.jpg

Anyways, I decided that the Canary Islands would be nice; they're pretty and all. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a concert hall there, so I moved it to Morocco.

30a-krau.jpgkraus02.jpg

cam1.jpgberganza.jpg

:) wow great.

And remember no gila monsters!

put me down for piano, ( i could once do a little number called rach 3. ah, the good ol days, i remember them well........cause they were 2 years ago)

Thanks for doing the research that I so lazily failed to do, scissorhands! That settles it!

I can also whistle very well. I think this should be added to the list of "instruments not frequently used by Williams."

In this way you would reduce the conductor's task to just giving the tempos, since all indications of dynamics etc. are different for each instrument group. It's not much better than just using a click track. It's right that rubato's are more difficult to perform this way, but I don't think there is a better alternative (besides playing together). Remind that a click track can contain all tempo changes, including rubatos.

That's true that a click track can contain all tempo changes, including rubatos, but it wouldn't it be pretty hard for someone to play/sing exactly with the click track during those spots? If it were me, I'd have to keep recording over myself until I got it right (after listening to it many times)...

Oh here's an idea... hmm, well this would only work of everyone had some kind of sequencing software (like Digital Performer or Sonar, respecitvely) or some other software would display a MIDI track... that way we'd have some way to visualize the click track - which I think would make it a lot easier.

I can also whistle very well. I think this should be added to the list of "instruments not frequently used by Williams."

I believe there is some whistling in The Witches of Eastwick. Not the score, but in the film. :mrgreen: . I don't know how true it is, but according to the IMDB, Williams was recorded in place of Jack Nicholson.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have we all given up on this have we?

Damo - who wondering what the result of this is going to be.

Wow, two other tubists here! I've had occasion to play several Williams pieces over the years, though none with a full Symphony Orchestra. The most recent was Curnow's arrangement of The Cowboys Overture with the Lansing Concert Band. I also play violin. At least, I did many, many years ago. These days, about all I can muster on that noble instrument is a dying cat impression.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Wouldn't it be interesting to record the individual parts to a JW Signature Edition separately, and then edit them all together and see how it turned out? :music:

Ray Barnsbury - who has a feeling he knows how it would turn out...

You obviously don't need another one, but... I'm a pianist. :music:

I do panflute on the side, so maybe add that to the list.

I am a percussionist, as well.

With so many of us, I think we should assemble a multi-track recording of a JW piece arranged for percussion ensemble. We'd have to record ourselves separately and then send the individual tracks to one person for editing. (I could do it, actually.)

It wouldn't be impossible. Editing percussion is much easier than other instruments. Everyone involved would have to use decent-quality recording equipment, though.

Just an idea. It's more probable than ALL OF US meeting up. Oh.... we can dream, can't we?

Call it wishful thinking, but I like to imagine what a virtual concert with all of us would sound like...even if it were bad, it would still be a unique endeavor!

The percussion arrangement sounds very intriguing though - i've heard some marvelous percussion arrangements of classical pieces (Debussy's 'Danse Tarantelle' being my favorite). I don't think an arrangement has ever been made for a JW piece for percussion though?

Found in "The John Williams Collection" website (a link in the LINKS section), Lito Velasco of California arranged, performed, and recorded "The Lost World" and "Schindler's List" main themes for percussion ensemble. Recordings of these can be downloaded. (While the performances are good, the sound quality of the leaves something to be desired.)

As far as arranging and performing a Williams piece for percussion ensemble, the obvious choice for me would be "The Forest Battle" from RotJ. I have the sheet music as arranged for piano, and I have Finale music notation software.

I've actually arranged the "20th Century Fox Fanfare" for percussion ensemble. It actually got performed by the drumline of my old high school when I was working with them last summer. I'll go ahead experiment with percussion multi-tracking and record it myself. I could then give it to someone for upload, so you all could hear the results.

We could attempt a recording with a few of us involved. Our choices for the musical selection would be limited, and of course we'd have to keep in contact regarding tempo, dynamics, etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Found in "The John Williams Collection" website (a link in the LINKS section), Lito Velasco of California arranged, performed, and recorded "The Lost World" and "Schindler's List" main themes for percussion ensemble. Recordings of these can be downloaded. (While the performances are good, the sound quality of the leaves something to be desired.)

Just listened to both those recordings for the first time....TLW arrangement is outstanding!

It wouldn't be impossible. Editing percussion is much easier than other instruments. Everyone involved would have to use decent-quality recording equipment, though.

... which is what I don't have (I'd only be able to record myself on MD). :( But yes, we can dream. :blink: