The JWFan.net Symphony Orchestra

scissorhands

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I haven't officialy played since junior high, I can play percussion. I'm not necessarily too hot on a drum set (I have trouble getting one hand to play one thing while the other plays another and the foot does something else), but I do have good rhythm. Give me a snare or a cowbell or something, and I'm okay. 8O

I play clarinet (including E-flat and bass) and piano proficiently; I also play sax and flute, though not as well. And I love to conduct!

If only this were actually possible... it would be incredible. *sigh*

If only this were actually possible... it would be incredible. *sigh*

What's to say we couldn't all record something individually and then have one person mix the whole thing? As long as we had some way of ensuring we all had exactly the same tempo, I think it might just work.

Ozzel - pondering the possibilities...

Awesome, Many, we have very few woodwinds for the moment. Cool Dalí avatar, by the way. I used to have one, before the young John Williams.

:( John Corigliano - String Quartet

I'm not necessarily too hot on a drum set (I have trouble getting one hand to play one thing while the other plays another and the foot does something else), but I do have good rhythm. Give me a snare or a cowbell or something, and I'm okay.  :(

Exactly the same here. :) Only I am in high school.

It might work if everyone gets a metronome and sets it to the same speed.

~Sturgis

Saxophone, all the different kinds. Not exactly a symphony instrument...but I'd come in handy for CMIYC. :( I'm also a singer. EDIT: Soprano or alto range. Piano too.

Greta

Incidentally, we could all individually record our part of the same piece with absolute precision and layer them all together! Hey, it could happen...

It's that "absolute precision" that scares me...I even had difficulties by mixing together one guitar part and one bass part, played by myself, so I can't even image how hard it would be to do this. I'm actually improved a lot in music timing, thought. :(

Well, if we were trying the "everyone records something at home" thing, of course the first thing needed is an exact click track. And then I'd say everything that has been recorded so far should be (at least pre-)mixed so every new player can hear what's been recorded yet and play accordingly, that's especially important for a listenable intonation (especially in the strings, but elsewhere as well - hey, it's even hard sometimes to get 4 horns together in tune when they're actually sitting all on one stage at the same time :D).

As for instruments:

-violin (yes, I got it back (thank god), thanks for asking!)

-french horn

-percussion (hey, I can play the SW main title on glockenspiel :P)

(-choir: bass)

You could always used a doubling effect on horns, you know, just use one track and multiply it on several tracks and pan them to different areas (left, right, center, etc), but you do loose a more realistic and natural effect by doing that, but since we're a limited group, we don't have too many options.

Glad you found your violin Chris.

Tim

Well, musltiplying one take sounds bad, even if panned. But if we only have one trumpet (e.g.), this person could record 3 seperate trumpet parts. And (a thing I have done occasionally) 1 violinist can record the same part 12 times (or so). This still doesn't sound like a real section (with differing insturment etc.), but it's diverse enough to sound like a bunch of violins, playing the same thing in a slightly different way (when doing this I tried to vary my vibrato as much as possible from take to take, to get the greatest possible heterogenity effect).

Sure, some reverb is always the key (I can't even do something without here, as the acoustics of my room combined with the micro quality result in a very dry result). But it's important to keep it to a reasonable amount, I've heard some amateur recordings of sampled stuff that would be so much better if they weren't drowned in double church reverb.