Scoring King Kong - web diary now up

Beowulf

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's a great pity, and almost as unreasonable as enjoying the score of a movie until you find out that Hans Zimmer wrote it, subsequently hating every note of the score.  

I don't see how you can enjoy every note of any music with that kind of insecurity.

It is not any kind of insecurity. Why would I admire a composer who could perfectly immitate Williams as much as the same work by Williams himself? I would see the imitation as a crafty soul-robbing exercise. If Hanz Zimmer wrote a score I liked, and it was indeed his music and not by him and a team of uncredited ghost writers, then I would respect that piece of music. You miss the point when you think it has anything to do with the NAME John Williams. It has to do with disliking the part of the industry that allows uncredited ghostwriting and shortens schedules to the point that the piece is a bland mixture of numerous composers. In the Chamber of Secrets case, I thought that it was a clever reworking of Potter 1 with new themes by Williams some bits composed by Ross. But not knowing which parts were by Ross robbed me of the ability to critique the work in the context of Williams' compositional canon. When I found out Ross's compositional arrangements were scrapped and replaced, I could then fully enjoy it as a Williams work. Before that it was enjoyable, but not a Williams.

Another PPD up, again on Howard's score (hm, that almost rhymes with "Howard Shore"...). Quite e few bits of music to be heard, some tender romantic material, some bombastic action stuff. I have to say, this sounds good... hopefully the whole score will be on that level.

I think Jackson owes him a flight down to Los Angeles, so he can finally meet him in person. I don't care what you have going on, the music is the backbone to this movie and if you can't justify meeting the composer you hired with only a two months left in the release schedule, then you suck. Howard is working his butt off, and I think Jackson should shake his hand before the premiere.

Tim

Wow, awesome PPD! The most footage I've ever seen of JNH working. He and Jackson seem to work well together, even over videophone..

Music sounded just great so far. The action stuff was really impressive. If you still it (at 3:38), you can even see the cue list, and later the cello part for 6M4 v6. :| James says the reels are almost wall-to-wall music, coming to some 2 1/2 + hrs of score. Mindboggling. :P

The PPD is at http://www.kongisking.net - "Post Production Diary- 4 Weeks to Go". (QT 6 movie)

Greta

I've just seen a TV spot for King Kong.I'm soooo tired hearing those heavy MV chords with thick fake choir pasted over used in every single action movie for the past 2 years.There even using that for the War of the Worlds DVD ads.

K.m.

If you still it (at 3:38), you can even see the cue list, and later the cello part for 6M4 v6.

6m4 v6 ??? How on earth does he have time to do 5 rewrites of a cue under this tight schedule? :)

Yeah, I saw the TV spot tonite too...it's music is blah synth and formulaic. It doesn't sound anything like the character of the score.

If the movie was already temped with JNH's Dinosaur, why not use some of that for the trailers, or other big orchestral action?

Used to be, trailers used clips of other (usually fine) scores, now it's moved to synthesized stock. I guess that's cheaper.

Greta

I personally don't think much of the music I've heard is all that appropriate for PJ's Kong. From everything I've read about this film, it's supposed to be a throwback to the '30s version. Hearing JN Howard's more contemporary score throws off the feel of the film. Obviously these are only clips but I don't have a lot of hope for this score or film. I am anxious to hear what Williams will come up with for Munich though.