Upcoming scores of interest

Pieter Boelen

I noticed that there are quite a lot of scores to be released during the next two months that could be very nice indeed. I was wondering what your views are on these upcoming scores. Or if you know of some other upcoming scores of interest.

The Chronicles of Narnia

By Harry Gregson-Williams

Harry Gregson-Williams already wrote some great music (Kingdom of Heaven, Sinbad, etc.) to date and I have great hopes that this one will be excellent as well. I am hoping for a sort-of fun cross between Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter or something like that. Hopefully with some forceful choir like in the trailer as well.

Zathura

By John Debney

The first adventure movie for John Debney since the amazing Cutthroat Island. I really hope this one will be good as well. The soundclips I've heard sound quite good. A bit like Cutthroat Island in space. I wouldn't complain about a Cutthroat Island in space. :(

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

By Patric Doyle

It is already available, but not on CD yet. I listened to it on the AOL listening part once and am officially unimpressed. I actually almost fell asleep during the Voldemort track. That might have something to do with me being sick at the time, but I am still sure that nothing of the sorts woulf have happened if John Williams had done GoF. Now let's all just hope that John will come back to the series eventually. I love Harry Potter and I want it to have the best music possible. Even though I am fearing I will like the movies less and less. I didn't like PoA very much. There was so much in there that didn't make sense either in context with the books, the previous films or the film itself. Even though I do like PoA as the best of the books. :pukeface:

King Kong

By James Newton Howard

James Newton Howard might have a very tight schedule, but I still reckon King Kong has all the makings to get a good adventurous and fun score, even if it's not entirely Oscar-worthy. I'm sure JNH can do a good job on it. I actually don't mind that he is scoring it instead of Howard Shore. Having only ever heard LotR from Shore, I am not sure if he'd come up with fun adventurous music.

Memoirs of a Geisha and Munich

By John Williams

They're John Williams. Of course they're of interest. ;)

The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (extended edition):

By Howard Shore

I'm not sure myself if I really have to get that. Although I do agree Howard Shore's music for LotR is excellent, I find most of it to not be very much enjoyable. Can you please tell me why the extended release is worth getting?

I am very interested in your views on these and other upcoming scores of interest. :)

(BTW: I am also hoping for a nice score for Pirates of the Caribbean 2. I would have preferred to see Alan Silvestri try again. Or at least to give Klaus Badelt a chance to do a good job on it by giving him more time this time (he can write nice music. Proof: The Time Machine). But maybe Hans Zimmer will come up with something properly piratey as well. I sure hope so. But I'm not at all sure if those hopes are justified.)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(BTW: I am also hoping for a nice score for Pirates of the Caribbean 2. I would have preferred to see Alan Silvestri try again. Or at least to give Klaus Badelt a chance to do a good job on it by giving him more time this time (he can write nice music. Proof: The Time Machine). But maybe Hans Zimmer will come up with something properly piratey as well. I sure hope so. But I'm not at all sure if those hopes are justified.)

I'm interested in those, too-- I'll ahve to hear samples of the Williams ones first; though.

thanks for your comment on Zathura, I had no idea what it was about.

As for POTC, the producer, who forced the director to drop Silvestri, and forced a MV score on the movie, will naturally only want more of the same-- theme and all. A real shame, because Zimmer wrote a wonderful pirate score for Muppet Treasure Island-- something you will love if you can find it; and as you know know, Gregson-Williams wrote a great "modern" swashbuckling score for Sinbad-- Legend of the Seven Seas.

As for Badelt, I suppose he may be able to write some nice things, but The Time Machine is hardly the best example, since it so heavily relies on Goldsmith's beautiful theme for The Edge.

obpir0009.gif

Can you please tell me why the extended release is worth getting?

The full Moria and Balrog music, the full Amon Hen music, the Ring theme, Journey to Weathertop, the Caradhras music, the source cues and an extensive booklet with printed themes.

Marian - sure he forgot important bits but thinking these should be reason enough anyway. :P

:D The Brothers Grimm (Dario Marianelli)

This release is worth getting, too, for the music playing over the extended end credits. I assume it will be included in the release. It features the New Zealand Philharmonic Orchestra playing an extended version of 'The Breaking Of The Fellowship': fabulous!

I also love the music playing when Gandalf is talking to Frodo in Moria ("I wish the ring had never come to me..."). It features a version of Frodo's theme that I really like. Brief but brilliant.

I think this release's strengths will be the subtle statements of our favourite themes that didn't make the OST.

APBez

It is unclear whether the extended end credits will be on the CD.

The regular price is alomost $60 for 3 CDs and a single DVD...  :?

Which is about three times the price of a regular CD these days, so you get the DVD for free. Certainly not cheap, but not that extreme for a 4-disc set with deluxe packaging and booklet.

Marian - still looking for where to get it cheap.

I wish we had such a release for any John Williams score. :D

What are you bitching about?

We've got John Goldfarb, Please Come Home, Penelope, A Guide for the Married Man, The Poseidon Adventure, The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Star Wars, Superman - The Movie, The Fury, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Home Alone II - Lost In New York all released and several others expanded or available through other means.

I think as Williams fans we've got it pretty good.

Neil

Yeah Williams fans have been enjoying an extraordinary amount of rereleases and expanded score releases than any other composer fans these last few years. We should be happy and grateful but the more you'll get the more you'll be wanting.

Indiana Jones 4

by: John Williams ;)

Munich

by: John Williams ;)

King Kong

by: By James Newton Howard

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

By: Hans Zimmer :D (not Klaus Badelt) :)

Pirates of the Caribbean 3

by: Hanz Zimmer ;) (not Klaus Badelt) :folder:

Indiana Jones 4

by: John Williams  ;)

Not holding my breath for that one.

Munich

by: John Williams  ;)

Could go either way.

King Kong

by: By James Newton Howard

Only a luke warm interest

By: Hans Zimmer  :D  (not Klaus Badelt)  :)  

by: Hanz Zimmer ;)   (not Klaus Badelt)  :folder:

Is there a difference between these 2 people?

I may have a silly paranoia, I just want everything available. So, sure we have a lot of expanded releases, but none of them has never had that kind of big release LOTR will have.

I opened a thread for this, so I won't go off-topic here.

Excuse me.

The 1997 SW special releases were a big deal, in many ways bigger and more important then these LOTR scores because many had been waiting for 2 decades for some of this music.

These LOTR releases will have MORE music, that doesn't say that they are more important.

Also, I consider the 4 CD Star wars Anthology set released in the early 90's to be the most pivotal expanded soundtrack release to date, since it's success opened to door to many of the other expanded releases we have come to enjoy.

By: Hans Zimmer  :D  (not Klaus Badelt)  :)  

by: Hanz Zimmer ;)   (not Klaus Badelt)  :folder:

Yes. Hanz Zimmer is a better composer then Klaus Badelt . Even though John Williams is far greater then Hans Zimmer.

Excuse me.

The 1997 SW special releases were a big deal, in many ways bigger and more important then these LOTR scores because many had been waiting for 2 decades for some of this music.

These LOTR releases will have MORE music, that doesn't say that they are more important.

That is true. We are lucky to be living these times. All these wonderful scores are released in their entirety now. No 20 years of waiting. No agonizing for a short soundtrack release. We should be grateful.

Stefan, I didn't mentioned the word "important". I didn't said the LOTR releases are "more important" than the SW releases. I'm just impressed of how the box-set looks like. Shore's fans (I mean, LOTR fans) have waited this for very few times, and yet they'll already going to have what we're waiting for more than 20 years (for ToD).

Then, of course nothing was more important than Star Wars. Because John Williams is the most famous and the most loved film music composer, and Star Wars is his biggest success. So it's obvious that couldn't be nothing more important than those 1997 editions (and the 1993 Anthology as well).

The point is it's that John Williams (after a way longer career than Shore) has never had a 4 CD release of a single score. That's what I intended for "big".

The FotR score spans only 3 CDs. Has John written a single score that has that much music? And is it economically feasible (sp?) to release something like that? There are literally millions of LotR fans around the world. There is an audience for the LotR release that is much larger than for a release like Hook or even Indy or Potter. This goes beyond film score fans. It's Lord of the Rings, after all.

By: Hans Zimmer  :mrgreen:  (not Klaus Badelt)  :folder:  

by: Hanz Zimmer :thumbup:   (not Klaus Badelt)  :folder:

No. There is no diffrence. None at all. Why do you ask?

Justin

By: Hans Zimmer  :mrgreen:  (not Klaus Badelt)  :folder:  

by: Hanz Zimmer :thumbup:   (not Klaus Badelt)  :folder:

No. There is no diffrence. None at all. Why do you ask?

The spelling is different.

Marian - :roll:

This should definitely be a good season for scores. I'm looking forward very much to Narnia, Goblet of Fire (though I already know that I like it), King Kong, and Geisha. If I hear good things about Debney's Zathura, I may look into that as well. And Munich is a complete mystery to me as of now, so we shall see what the future holds for that one.

Ray Barnsbury

I'm looking forward to Munich. I should really give Memoirs a chance, but I really think the whole premise of the movie is dull and uninteresting, so, unfair though it may be, I'm just not interested in giving the score a chance.

I except any future Hanz Zimmer release to be just like any of his last ones: unimpressive.

I never got into Harry Potter, though maybe I'll give the music a listen.

LOTR didn't impress me. It's not an interesting score. The main theme is good, but it doesnt' carry the same power as, say, the Force Theme from Star Wars. It also isn't played in as many varieties as the Force theme. One theme can't carry 12 hours of music. LOTR has a few scattered good pieces, but overall it's dull and nothing stands out.

Pride and Prejudice (Dario Marianelli) - Decca, November 15

The Libertine (Michael Nyman) - Inner Knot, November 22

Syriana (Alexandre Desplat) - Sony, December 13

Casanova (Alexandre Desplat) - Hollywood, December 13

(Release dates according to Amazon.com)

Zathura

By John Debney

The first adventure movie for John Debney since the amazing Cutthroat Island. I really hope this one will be good as well. The soundclips I've heard sound quite good. A bit like Cutthroat Island in space. I wouldn't complain about a Cutthroat Island in space. :|

I have just listened to the samples on Debney's site, and they do sound promising. I have pre-ordered the CD. 8O Thanks for calling my attention on this onez, Pieter!

and looking ahead to early summer, there's my first hollywood score for the movie "cheney's recon 7 down" straight to dvd i think. (1st of 10 to come in the next 6 years)

it'll be written by a 19 year old so i don't know how interesting it could possibly be, but i'll do my best.

That Justin must be an extra special score since it was separated from the three others :thumbup:

Must be one hell of a score. When is it due to be released and who has composed it?

Has anyone heard the music to Zathura yet? It was supposed to be officially released the same day as Memoirs of a Geisha. If you have any news about what it's like, please tell me. I am highly interested and want to know if it's worth buying. I hope it is; I hope it'll have some of the same greatness as Cutthroat Islands in it. :mrgreen:

Has anyone heard the music to Zathura yet? It was supposed to be officially released the same day as Memoirs of a Geisha. If you have any news about what it's like, please tell me. I am highly interested and want to know if it's worth buying. I hope it is; I hope it'll have some of the same greatness as Cutthroat Islands in it. :mrgreen:
If anyone is interested: I just found out Apple iTunes has samples available. Seems like they're the only ones having samples yet.

BTW: I found on this site a CD tracklisting for Narnia with four songs at the end. They're joking, right? I don't want stupid songs on my soundtracks. The more songs, the less music can be on there! :sleepy:

If anyone is interested: I just found out Apple iTunes has samples available. Seems like they're the only ones having samples yet.

BTW: I found on this site a CD tracklisting for Narnia with four songs at the end. They're joking, right? I don't want stupid songs on my soundtracks. The more songs, the less music can be on there! :sleepy:

There are 4 songs on the soundtrack. I do not like that either. 70 minutes of score would have been nice.

Have you listened to the soundclips from Narnia on the Soundtrack.net site yet?

Have you listened to the soundclips from Narnia on the Soundtrack.net site yet?
I tried to, but I could only listen to a few. It didn't really work all too great. :sleepy:

The score or Quicktime? :mrgreen:

I'm always interested in what Thomas Newman is working on. His score for Sam Mendes' film, 'Jarhead', is soon to be released, I think.

Comes out next month

To be quite honest, Narnia sounds like the same scores I have heard in the past. With a mixture of Gladiator, Passion, and Lord of the Rings. Eh...whatever.

The score or Quicktime? :P
QuickTime didn't work too great, so I don't know about the score. I still have high hopes for it. Harry Gregson-Williams is highly capable of writing good music. :roll:

If anyone is interested in a review of the Zathura soundtrack by John Debney, check it out here. This seems to be the only review I have been capable of finding. Seems as if virtually all the world isn't even aware of it's existance; not even the main movie music sites. ROTFLMAO

Edit:.

• 3 years later...