Favorite Prequel Score

Lurker

What Is Your Favorite John Williams Prequel Score?  

42 members have voted

1. 1.

• The Phantom Menace
    • Attack of the Clones
    • Revenge of the Sith
    • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was prepared to vote for TPM, the I saw TOD, and knew that simply because it was in that magic period of 1974 to 1984 it must be the best,

not to mention just by listening to it compared to the others there is no doubt.

It's the only Indy prequel, though even saying that is a bit of a cheat, because it's just a different tale in the Indy setting, and not really a prequel at all even though it takes place a year before the events in Raiders...

Tim

It's the only Indy prequel, though even saying that is a bit of a cheat, because it's just a different tale in the Indy setting, and not really a prequel at all even though it takes place a year before the events in Raiders...  

yes its a prequel, really.

I agree with Joe. The story is really that way, with ToD in 1935, Raiders in 1936 and Last Crusade in 1938 (the Ford's part of course).

So I too consider it to be the first Indy movie, in a chronological point of view. :D

I understand that, and true to the definition of a prequel, ToD applies. I'm just saying that I don't really think of the Indy films to be individual parts of, say, a trilogy. They're more like smaller parts or adventures of a single person and unrelated to a larger picture or thread.

Tim

I understand that, and true to the definition of a prequel, ToD applies.  I'm just saying that I don't really think of the Indy films to be individual parts of, say, a trilogy.  They're more like smaller parts or adventures of a single person and unrelated to a larger picture or thread.

Tim

Yes, I uderstand, and kinda agree.

You can watch the Indy Trilogy in random order and still understand them completely.

On the contrary, you need to watch the Star Wars saga in order (or at least, 4-5-6 and then 1-2-3 if really really necessary).

But if you watch Raiders before Last Crusade, for example, you'll love catching those little in-jokes like when Indy and Elsa are in the Venice's catacombs and she finds an Ark painted on a rock. :D

I understand that, and true to the definition of a prequel, ToD applies.  I'm just saying that I don't really think of the Indy films to be individual parts of, say, a trilogy.  They're more like smaller parts or adventures of a single person and unrelated to a larger picture or thread.

Tim

Yes, I uderstand, and kinda agree.

You can watch the Indy Trilogy in random order and still understand them completely.

On the contrary, you need to watch the Star Wars saga in order (or at least, 4-5-6 and then 1-2-3 if really really necessary).

But if you watch Raiders before Last Crusade, for example, you'll love catching those little in-jokes like when Indy and Elsa are in the Venice's catacombs and she finds an Ark painted on a rock. :D

However, if you watch ToD before Raiders, you will not understand why Indy goes for an empty holster when confronted by two swordmen (and miss the Basket Game quote), or why he flat out says in Raiders he doesn't believe in magic and superstitious hocus-pocus, even though he used a friggin' chant to defeat Mola Ram.

However, if you watch ToD before Raiders, you will not understand why Indy goes for an empty holster when confronted by two swordmen (and miss the Basket Game quote), or why he flat out says in Raiders he doesn't believe in magic and superstitious hocus-pocus, even though he used a friggin' chant to defeat Mola Ram.

Indeed, althought those aren't essential aspects.

It's not like Star Wars, when if you watch ESB you miss all the Star Wars part.

I think that anyone who start watching the saga with Episode 1-2-3, will think "what's the point in watching movies of 30 years ago, when this modern ones sucks?"

What a bummer.

Im surprised Revenge of the Sith didnt get more attention. I think that John Williams has given us masterpieces this year like ROTS and WOTW, and Im really looking forward to hearing Memoirs and Munich.

Why on earth was ToD in the Poll? It was there to set us all off balance or something? Well it worked for me since I had to think twice before answering :D

ROTS

If I should take Indy to a count ToD would be it but nope I do not think it counts ;)

Revenge of the Sith. Indy music is great, but I have yet to find a full score. And let's face it, Star Wars music (in my mind) is more complex and interesting than anything else out there. AOTC was a little weak, and TPM music was interesting, but ROTS had the most depth and power.

TPM was great in that it introduced a lot of great pieces, but because there was so much new stuff, a lot of it didn't get developed or taken anywhere...whether in TPM or the next two films