Anyone already seen Memoirs of a Geisha CD in Holland?

Sandor

Release date is Nov. 22 right (today)?

But at the local CD store here they said the release date for Holland is Dec. 5 What's the deal here?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not know about Holland but in Scandinavia it is released 7th of Dec or atleast that was the CDON.com release date for it. I just hope it will be released soon. These soundtrack releases are usually little late (well it depends GOF was released on time ).

Anyone already seen Memoirs of a Geisha CD in Holland?

No, I´m sorry, but it´s five years since I´ve been to the Netherlands...

Europe the promised land of film music and soundtracks. Is there a single country on this continent that would have the Memoirs of a Geisha soundtrack album on the release day? Oh the frustration and agony!

Europe the promised land of film music and soundtracks. Is there a single country on this continent that would have the Memoirs of a Geisha soundtrack album on the release day? Oh the frustration and agony!

Well I remember buying numberous soundtracks on the day of release: Schindler's List, Sleepers, Seven Years In Tibet, Amistad, Revenge Of The Sith and others. It's not THAT uncommon in Holland to sell CD's at the same day as their US releases. I even bought Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone ONE DAY EARLIER than the American release!!

But, with other soundtracks you never know. I had a hard time finding The Terminal or War Of The Worlds. Even had to order them on the Internet.

I have no idea about Memoirs of a Geisha. The guy from the CD store I trust most said December 5. But I still wonder if other people have already seen it somewhere.

Finland's CD stores are very fickle when it comes to the soundtrack releases. Sometimes they have a score few days in advance (as with TTT) but usually the scores appear 2 to 3 weeks after the movie has been released or do not get released at all if the movie is small enough (Or big enough. I have not seen a single copy of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory score anywhere) or for some other obscurereason. Of course "Music inspired by" soundtracks with nothing but pop hits appear half a year in advance even if the movie is not due for months. :| But hey we knew the state of things when we began collecting movie scores, right? Or did we?

It also depends on the store I guess. In Rotterdam we have some very good CD stores which have been quite succesful at selling soundtracks.

They even gave me a John Williams/Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone promotional poster which had been on display for more than three months!

Anyone interested in the poster? Willing to trade for CD-R copies of some bootlegs I still don't have.

I live in the bloody capital of this country and our stores are absolutely helpless. No matter how many times you ask they won't even make enquiries at the record companies for the music but rather stare you blankly in the face and say "We do not know soundtrack release dates. They are never send to us before hand." That's the long and short of our customer service. Even my home town (A small city by European standards) record store, which is by no means very huge, has better service and they find things out instead of sending you away without any info. But I could start ordering from the net. It would save time and money and me from frustration.

It also depends on the store I guess. In Rotterdam we have some very good CD stores which have been quite succesful at selling soundtracks.  

They even gave me a John Williams/Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone promotional poster which had been on display for more than three months!

Anyone interested in the poster? Willing to trade for CD-R copies of some bootlegs I still don't have.

Standards in CD stores has dropped dramatically in recent years.

It's hard to even call them CD stores any more, since they are mostly filled with DVD's.

With DVD being the popular medium and the supposedly huge amount of illigal downloading of music many CD stores are nt gonna take any chances anymore with niche genres like soundtracks, unless they are filled with songs are are part of a very popular franshise like LOTR.

Only WOTW i ever saw in stores was that damned musical, and The Terminal does not seen to excist in Noord Holland.

My local MVC are quite good for JW stuff.....they are also keen on pleaing their classical audience, as well as the more hooligan forms of music.....

I tried finding both the Memoirs of a Geisha and Zathura soundrack on both the Free Record Shop and Fame website, but they both didn't have it. It's as if they are all completely uninterested in movie music. If anyone sees them in the stores, please notify me. I want them! :mrgeen:

I think in Austria we don't even have the release date for the movie, let alone the soundtrack!!! God, I wish I were someplace else (where I can get my JW CDs on time)!!!!

:mrgreen:

Atleast our Scandinavian CDON.com has it on 7th of December. I order it there if it does not appear in stores before that.

Well,I just got my c.d.,which is available in large quantities in Montreal.

K.m.

How nice :sleepy:

For people living in Montreal. You just know how to cheer us up KM. :mrgreen:

I tried finding both the Memoirs of a Geisha and Zathura soundrack on both the Free Record Shop and Fame website, but they both didn't have it. It's as if they are all completely uninterested in movie music.

These days, I expect nothing less of FRS. :mrgreen:

Fame has been slipping too, but I'm surprised they seem to nott even get new releases anymore.

I haven't even seen the last few Williams releases - apart from the major franchises (ie. Potter and Star Wars) - in Dutch stores. I think I might have come across Minority Report or Catch Me If You Can, but I have yet to see a copy of War of the Worlds or The Terminal in a Dutch CD store. :sleepy:

- Marc, who is greatly annoyed by this.

I haven't even seen the last few Williams releases - apart from the major franchises (ie. Potter and Star Wars) - in Dutch stores. I think I might have come across Minority Report or Catch Me If You Can, but I have yet to see a copy of War of the Worlds or The Terminal in a Dutch CD store.

I have seen all of them in stores, but literally weeks (sometimes months!) after their US release.

I've never had problems with this here, until a few months ago. Now, even Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is completely unavailable in stores here. Batman Begins never showed up either. Not that I would have bought thát one :mrgreen:

I used to feel bad about buying scores off the internet and not supporting local businesses. Not any more.

Their selection is sh*te and it's depressing to even go and look now.

Once I thought I saw the score for the Passion of the Christ with an alternative (Euro?) cover. Instead it was Songs Inspired by the film. Nothing to do with John Debney. They went out of their way to order this tripe instead of the proper CD.

Well,I just got my c.d.,which is available in large quantities in Montreal.

K.m.

You should buy them all and send them to Europe... :|

• 2 weeks later...

Today is December 5; the planned release date for MOAG in Holland. Anyone see it already? Please post it here when you do. Can't wait!

Just give up, Roald.

As far as Free Record Store is concerned Soundtracks are pasé.

Thank goodness for the Internet and creditcards.

LOL

Atleast internet believes in Soundtracks.

No word about the score here in Finland either. But I always have my mp3s untill the CD is released.

We have a store in Holland, as Stefan pointed out, that is called the FREE RECORD SHOP (or FREE RECORD STORE?)

I'm just wondering: what association do non-Dutchies have with that name?

We have a store in Holland, as Stefan pointed out, that is called the FREE RECORD SHOP (or FREE RECORD STORE?)  

Actually the store has branched here in Finland too. They are apparently as ignorant about soundtracks their Dutch counterpart :thumbup: I have wondered where does that name come from. Surely they do not dish out free CDs to anyone. Their prices are quite high actually.

It sounds like they give away records for free. Or that they are free as in emancipated.

It sounds like they give away records for free. Or that they are free as in emancipated.

And the record store if freed from what? :? Nasty local landlord? Unruly customers? Taxes? Not slavery??!! :thumbup: How horrid!!

If only they were free.

FRS is mostly focusing on DVDs these days, but unfortunately, they're so thick they seem to only offer outdated or bare-bones releases (which are cheaper by maybe 2 Euros), rather than having nice 2-Disc Special Editions. They have new SEs, but it's hard to find older SEs.

I prefer MediaMarkt anyway.

It sounds like they give away records for free.

LOL

I've seen Americans come into a FRS in Rotterdam asking whether the store gave away albums for free or if they were allowed to record a song for free at the place! LOL

And the record store if freed from what?  Nasty local landlord? Unruly customers? Taxes? Not slavery??!!  How horrid!!

Free, as in they aren't forced to carry just the top sellers, like most US chains these days. I remember in the early 90's, I collected all the lesser known 70's Williams Varese scores like Eiger Sanction, Fury, Earthquake and Dracula. Those were the days. Now its all gone.

LOL

I've seen Americans come into a FRS in Rotterdam asking whether the store gave away albums for free or if they were allowed to record a song for free at the place! LOL

Yeah, that's right...laugh it up! Blame the Americans for all of your soundtrack woes! I see that hostility is starting to filter into your posts. It's a sad day :cry:

Wait! I know what will cheer me up! I'll just put on some Williams albums. I think I'll start with Memoirs of a Geisha, which I've had for a couple of weeks, and that I purchased through a good ol' American CD store.

Sweet land of liberty.

Tim

LOL

Well, That's Americans for you.

Yeah, that's right...laugh it up! Blame the Americans for all of your soundtrack woes! I see that hostility is starting to filter into your posts. It's a sad day
Well, That's Americans for you.

No, no, no!! I'm NOT laughing at the Americans! I'm just using their confusion as an example to show how stupid the NAME Free Record Shop is!

Don't get me wrong there! I LOVE Americans.

I was hoping the sarcasm was dripping in my thread. Apparently it wasn't sticky enough.................................................uh...................................................................................................

Tim