A Complete War of the Worlds soundtrack?

GoodMusician

I know you're all probably tired of hearing about all this but I was wondering if anyone else was planning on making a complete War of the Worlds soundtrack?

I bought the two disk special edition and there is some music in the scoring of the film that I believe wasn't released and the end credits will be easy enough to rip...

There's quite a few little editing spots... like when they leave the basement... that aparently didn't have music over it until S. S. asked John if he could use the epilogue music for it... so there is some editing for that...

I dunno... anyone else donig it?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not for this score.I barely listen tot he OST,addding DVD rips of unreleased music would be useless to me.Unless you tell me those End Credits have music not on the album?

K.m.

It's really fun to do this one, because the surrond mix is actually pretty lazy, hehe... A lot of the time, the rear channels just exclusively contain music with no sound effects or acoustic modelling applied to the music ^.^

I just thought you should all know as well that on the 2nd disk, the special feature called "We are Not Alone," the end credits of that have unreleased music.

There also seems to be some un-used music that would go between the piano part at the end and the freed-man/synth part... it's what I believe to be an English horn ditty... perhaps Williams homage to the mother... if I'm not mistaken he tends to use that as a motherly instrument...

There is also some music I think was unreleased in the car sequence that is on the "Scoring the Movie" feature...

Just fyi...

i have edited the score to the movie and here is my track listing: (i used the rear speaker rip for my edits) total time:

2:00:16:26 [i am missing the parts at the times listed, please help me find them, tia, take care all!!!]

1. prologue [prologue track 01 on ost] (with narration by morgan freeman)

2. prologue (instrumental) [ripped from rear dvd speakers and contains no narration or sfx]

3. After The Storm (escape from the basket track 13 on ost 1:10 - 2:55?)

4. the intersection scene [the intersection scene track 06 on ost] (is the first :37 seconds of this track in the movie? as i don't hear it!) (* ashes blends with the end of this track in the movie *)

5. ashes [escape from the basket track 13 on ost 2:55? - 4:33]

6. escape from the city [escape from the basket track 13 on ost 4:33 - 6:24 & escape from the city track 06 on ost] (is missing some parts from ost)

7. the crash site [epilogue track 15 on ost 1:51 - 2:38] (intro & ending missing from ost)

8. video of the tripods in the news van (missing 44:15:07 - 45:03:23) (missing from ost)

9. floating corpses [the confrontation with ogilvy track 11 on ost 0:00 - 0:40]

10. refugees [ray and rachel track 05 on ost] (missing 51:39:10 - 51:56:00) (missing ending on ost ; contains sfx on the dvd rip)

11. taking shelter in the diner (missing 55:32:20 - 56:46:20) (missing from ost ; dvd rip contains sfx)

12. the ferry scene [the ferry scene track 02 on ost] (missing 59:34:10 - 59:36:26 & 1:02:05:00 - 1:02:06:22 & 1:04:20:15 - 1:04:30:05) (missing pieces from ost ; dvd rip contains sfx)

13. falling clothes & running up the hill (missing 1:05:56:20 - 1:07:45:05) (missing from ost ; dvd rip contains sfx)

14. the separation of the family [reaching the country track 03 on ost] (missing 1:10:39:00 - 1:10:49:19 ; contains sfx on dvd rip)

15. the basement (missing 1:11:30:04 - 1:13:25:20) (missing from ost ; dvd rip contains sfx)

16. ray talks with ogilvy (missing 1:15:09:10 - 1:17:11:10) (missing from ost) (contains sfx on dvd rip)

17. probing the basement [probing the basement track 07 on ost] (missing 1:21:06:10 - 1:21:12:15) (contains sfx on dvd rip)

18. probing the basement Pt. II [probing the basement track 07 on ost]

19. probing the basement Pt. III [probing the basement track 07 on ost]

20. aliens search the basement (missing 1:25:35:15 - 1:26:27:09 & 1:26:32:00 - 1:28:27:08) (missing from ost ; dvd rip contains sfx)

21. ray kills ogilvy (missing 1:31:28:10 - 1:33:10:12) (missing from ost ; dvd rip contains sfx)

22. caught [the confrontation with ogilvy track 11 on ost] (missing 1:36:03:05 -1:36:06:06)

23. escape from the basket [escape from the basket track 13 on ost 6:24 to end] (missing 1:36:21:06 - 1:36:30:06 & 1:36:37:24 - 1:36:41:15 & 1:38:06:18 - 1:38:09:06 & 1:39:46:15 - 1:39:51:20)

24. the return to boston [the return to boston track 12 on ost] (missing 1:42:21:14 - 1:42:42:25 & 1:44:11:06 - 1:44:19:01)

25. the dying alien appears [the seperation of the family track 10 on ost]

26. the reunion [the reunion track 14 on ost] (missing 1:47:32:20 - 1:48:04:15 & 1:48:19:10 - 1:48:38:05) (* epilogue blends into the end of this track in the movie *)

27. epilogue [epilogue track 15 on ost]

28. end credits [ripped from rear dvd speakers and contains no SFX] (comprised of the following tracks from the ost: escape from the city, and epilogue)

29. the attack on the car (unused)

30. refugee status (UNKNOWN) where is this played at in the movie?

A lot of the material cut from ESB doesn't really work when you put it back in the film. It's an excellent liste on CD, but it doesn't work as well as it should with the tone of the scenes. A lot of it was rightly cut.

The way I see it is..

Firstly, Williams would have watched the scene anyway, and being the smart man that he is, he would realise that it's actually a sad sort of scene. Ray fears for his children (especially Rachel). It's not an action scene. If anything, Williams would see that the scene would need some music with a sense of desperation or tragedy. (Or more likely, no music)...

Also, Spielberg would've sat down with Williams and they would've discussed what they thought the audience should be feeling with the scene...

So I dont see how that music could've ever be meant for that scene.

I still think "Attack on the Car" was meant to score the deleted "Camelot" sequence, as detailed in Cinefex magazine.

Following the ferry scene, Ray and kids were to enter Newark, where they took refuge behind a minivan as tripods attacked apartment buildings and plucked screaming residents from them.

The scene was apparently finished but dumped at the last minute. I'm guessing it was either too late to take the track off the album, or Williams liked it enough to leave it on anyway.

I wondered about that scene. I'd seen that video that had the first pic in it... and in the making of parts of the dvd, it shows the animatic for doing that scene. I had wondered what happened to it.

hm

Pity they didn't put it on the dvd. I know Spielberg usually doesn't include deleted scenes, but this was finished and everything. Might as well have put it on there.

There's one slight error on your cue list, macuser. As track 27, you have "The Reunion" off the album. However your track 26, for the dying alien, is the first minute or so of album track 10, the bizarrely named "The Separation of the Family," which of course does not accompany that scene in the film.

The rest of track 10 comes in the middle of "The Reunion." The darker piano solo in track 10 is used for the reunion with Robbie. The hopeful bits in track 14 are for the reunion of mother and daughter.

Rather than slice these tracks up too much, it plays well to put track 10 as "Victory" or something similarly named, then have track 14 as "The Reunion."

• 1 month later...

I'm in the process of doing this one. From the guys who already ripped and edited the score, is there any good sugestion?

By the way, I was going through the cue sheet provided above by Macuser02, and decided to call the dying alien track "Victory!", without really remembering about James last post... But I will slice the piano tracks and try to edit them as in the film. Mostly for the fun of it, as I do like them as they are presented on the album.

I'll post my final tracklist and album artwork soon.

WHat I did, I dunno if you're capable of this, is used both the back and side channels...

There are moments where yo ucan use all 4 together perfectly... just fade out volume in spots that sound bad on that specific channel. Again, only if you can do this.

It helped me at least...

Yes, I can do that. I'm using Cool Edit Pro 2000, and it has multitrack capabilities, so I have on one track the front l&r channels, and on another the back ones. And then I edit the whole thing toghether. Also, I'm mixing the DVD rips with the album tracks, when needed.

Yes, I can do that. I'm using Cool Edit Pro 2000, and it has multitrack capabilities, so I have on one track the front l&r channels, and on another the back ones. And then I edit the whole thing toghether. Also, I'm mixing the DVD rips with the album tracks, when needed.

I didnt knew that! Now editing will be better :wave:

Well, spent my lunch hour -- actually a 2-hour break -- trying to edit the album versions of The Reunion and The separation of the Family together, as they appear in the film finale... And after those two hours wasn't able to find a pleasent edit...

For who may try to do the work by himself: this begins with the first 45 seconds of track 14 of the CD, and then jumps to track 10, around 1:35. When this ends, would link to the big optimistic horn passage, just before the synths bit and the end credits (wich I ripped from the DVD, sans naarration.)

If anyone did or intend to do this by editing the album tracks, and get a good result in the process, let em know, as for now, I'm using only the DVD ripped music, that includes some slight sfx.

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone know where these tracks appear at in the movie?

refugee status - entire song

probing the basement - 2:00 - 2:32 into it

the seperation of the family - 0:38 - 1:30 into it

escape from the basket - 0:00 - 1:10 into it

also does the 1st 37 seconds of the intersection scene appear in the movie as i do not hear it!!!???

• 1 month later...

The Intersection scene music, the first 37 seconds can be seen in the special features on Disk 2 as being recorded for the scene, they just choose not to have music until latter, so the first 37 seconds arn't sure, but the rest is. It was meant for that scene, but they just choose not to use it.

Everything you noted there looks like it was edited out. I've not heard it.

• 4 weeks later...

This was posted in another thread, but it's what my play list is... If someone wants it, I'm not against sending it.

Well, I have the complete WOTW soundtrack. Here's my personal track listing (I love source music).

Complete War of the Worlds Film Score:

CD1: 50:03

01) Prologue (Music)

02) Aphasia- Flatline (Robby's Source Music)

03) After the Storm

04) The Intersection Scene

05) Ashes

06) Escape from the City

07) The Crash Site (*) (Not Noticeable)

08) Tripod Footage

09) Floating Corpses

10) Refugees * (Rain on Roof at End)

11) Taking Shelter in the Diner * (Slight Yelling and Rain)

12) If I Ruled the World- Tony Bennet (Source)

13) The Sirens # (The Tripod Horn)

14) The Ferry Scene (*)

15) Falling Clothes & Running Up Hill * (Light Sound effects but sudden Missle Fire at end)

16) The Seperation of the Family/ The Basement (*) (dripping)

17) Ray Talk s With Ogilvy (*) (dripping)

18) Probing the Basement I

19) Probing the Basement II

20) Probing the Basement III

21) Aliens Enter the Basement (*) (Very clean dvd rip, ends with tripod Horns)

CD2: 52:02

01) Ray Kills Ogilvy * (Light dripping)

02) Caught

03) Escape From the Basket (*) (Two moments of slight sound effects)

04) The Return to Boston (*) (A few moments of DVD rip sound)

05) The Dying Alien Appears

06) The Reunion & End Credits(Music)

07) Prologe (Narration/Album)

08) Escape from the Basket Segment (Unused)

09) The Intersection Scene (Album)

10) Ray & Rachel (Album/Unused)

11) The Attack on the Car (Album/Unused)

12) Refugee Status (Album/Unused)

13) Probing the Basement Segment (Unused)

14) Hushabye Mountain -Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Source Music)

15) The Seperation of the Family Segment (Unused)

16) The Reunion (Narration/Album)

17) Epilogue (Album)

*- DVD materal

(*)-Very little DVD material

#- Sound Effects

I can't take all the credit for this. I ripped it and someone I know sent me a lot of the files. I cleaned them up, editied them and added the source music tracks plus the unused segments. I rounded it out I suppose. I really love this score, and It sounds amazing.

Some of the music was ripped from the DVD menu's so it's clean and most of the score was released: infact, more unused music was released than anything lol.

The editor for the movie also had a lot of work to do, but did a fairly good job of it. He utilized everything including pitch change, adding echoes, and did a great job of it.

This is definately a very good edit though ;-). My 2nd favourite to JP.

I just finished ripping the entire War of the Worlds and I done it very well. I just need to edit it.

The Album, as presented, is a good representation of the score. The only problem was that the score isn't really in order and that one track might cover 2-3 scenes from the movie--like JP.

This fixes that. Also, most of the surround sound is pretty clean so getting good rips is not a problem with this score so it really... it's more of along the lines of we can make the "complete" score from the rips without much problems as far as invasive sound so why not.

The "Return to Boston" track that goes through to "Downing the Tripod" is pretty fun music, some of which was unreleased.

Also, there is a little bit of music from the menu's for the probing the basement sequence that is really cool... maybe an extra :30, but some cool stuff none the less...

There really isn't anything extra I suppose that isn't in some way on the album in some form, it's just this presents it how it is in the film and in better continuity. Surprisingly there is more on the album that is unused than music not on it that's unreleased.

Just fyi people: PM me if you want it. so I can more easily keep track of weither or not I send it

Also, to all of you whom I sent it to.

Watch out, on iTunes, apparently the track names decide what they want to be and arn't correct.

Also, in general, I have two tracks of #7 by accident.

"The Crash Site1.mp3" is the better of hte two. just delte the other.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Some of the music was ripped from the DVD menu's

Would you have a precise list with the extra music from the DVD?

Edit:

Also: would anybody have the end credits ripped from all the channels in high quality? It's for the few unreleased bits in the Escape from the City track, and I don't have the DVD yet.

• 1 year later...

Hey all, wow... digging up some old threads here aren't I lol...

Well, as this thread shows, I made an attempt at creating a complete War of the Worlds score edit... but if there was an edit I wasn't happy with, it was how I did this one.

In sooth, I actually had very little to do with this set past some superficial corrections and tweaking of all the tracks, coalescing them and collecting some other material as well as putting it on my site and getting some CD art.

This also wasn't really a "complete edit" in that it was an edit of the score to be how it is heard in the film... with the unused material tacked on at the end of the set...and I have to say... I really hate that approach...

Since then, I was never really happy with the set. For one, my ability to correctly mix 5.1 was limited in those days... and so creating instrumental tracks for the opening and finale, getting rid of the dialogue, was a chore and I don't think I ever really did it right.

Since then, my ability to mix them has improved because of a better understanding of what I have to do AND a program that does it for me :-p

I've also gone back to re-exploring some of the more peculiar attributes to the score and I have to say... I am amazed by it. I am so happy I redid this score.

I looked through the feturettes on disc 2 and I found at least 2 tracks that are completely unreleased and unused and unheard except in them. Amazing.

Also with the ability to digitally rip audio from the DVD rather than analog as I had before, I can put out a much higher quality rip (ironically enough, since I did this edit, I lost the originals and only had the mp3's of the edit so lol... it needed to be redone).

Anyways,... I'm considering leaving up the old WOTW edit... and sot of expand upon it like I did for Jurassic Park (disc 1 being a film edit, disc 2 being complete) but maybe not...

Right now there are only a few pieces I'm putting together with some help of others... mainly putting together the unused/unreleased cues that I've found in the feturettes.

Anyways, here is what I have right now:

War of the Worlds: Complete Edit

Disc 1

01) Prologue (Instrumental) - [2:54]

02) After the Storm - [2:09]

03) The Intersection Scene (Film Mix) - [4:26]

04) Ashes - Intro To (Film) - [3:35]

05) Escape from the City (Film) - [3:51]

06) Crash Site (Planned Tracked) - [1:29] ^

07) Tripod Footage - [0:50]

08) Floating Corpses - [0:42]

09) Refugee Status (Film) - [1:42] ^

10) Taking Shelter in the Diner - [1:13] *

11) Tony Bennet - If I Ruled the World (Source) - [2:59]

12) The Sirens (SFX) - [0:08]

13) The Ferry Scene - [5:49]

14) Climbing Up Hill - [1:47] *

15) Separation of the Family - [3:22]

16) Comforting Rachel - [1:58] ^

17) Ogilvy's Advice - [2:05] ^

18) Probing the Basement - [4:19]

19) Aliens Search the Basement - [2:56] ^

20) The Death of Ogilvy - [1:42] ^

21) Caught - [0:43]

22) Captured by the Tripods - [3:12]

23) Escape from the Basket - [3:13]

24) Return to Boston - [1:15]

25) Taking Down the Tripod (Film Fanfare) - [3:20] ^

26) The Alien Emerges - [0:38]

27) Reunion - [2:10]

28) Finale - [1:16]

29) Epilogue - [3:11]

# Prologue (Dialogue) - [2:52]

# The Intersection Scene (Album Mix) - [4:26]

# Unknown Cue 1 (Unused) - [1:10]

# Intro To (Alternate) - Escape from the City - [4:08]

# Refugees (Alternate) - [2:41]

# The Attack on the Car (Unused) - [2:44]

# Refugee Status (Unused) - [3:51]

# Taking Down the Tripod (Alternate Fanfare) - [3:18]

# Reunion (Film Alternate) - [1:56]

# Finale (Dialogue) - [1:15

# Unknown Cue 2 (Unused) -

# Unknown Cue 3 (Unused) -

^ - Inconsequential SFX

* - Persistent or medium SFX

I'm almost afraid to ask (because I thought my edit was finished) but:

I looked through the feturettes on disc 2 and I found at least 2 tracks that are completely unreleased and unused and unheard except in them. Amazing.

What tracks are these? Where can they be found? And do they have SFX in them or are they clean?

You'd perhaps be also interested in the WOTW thread (there were three or so threads with the discussion of the order) in which I posted some comments when I did my own (sfx-less) expanded edit of the soundtrack.

Well, one of the unused cues is at the beginning of one of the tracks on the Album. I'm not sure what it is..

It's the first 1:10 of Escape from the Basket.

The other pieces are heard in fragments on the 2nd disc of the 2 disc set for WOTW.

The first is heard in "Revisiting the Invasion" at about 5:49 to 6:27... there is talking and rain sfx at one point, but I'm seeing what I can do...

The second is heard in "The H.G. Wells Legacy" at 0:31-1:10 (it loops).

Then you hear some more music I can't recognize a little later... but I havn't even finished going through the feturettes so there may be more...

btw, where is this thread of yours? I tried looking but have not found it... let alone how do you find a thread about War of the Worlds with a 4 character limit in the search :unsure: