JW in Chicago: who's coming?

TownerFan

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't post very often but I live in Chicago and will be attending Friday and Saturday. I'm actually a subscriber to the CSO's Friday Night At The Movies series so I'll be sitting in my regular subscription seat on Friday which just happens to be 4th row, dead center. This will be my 6th and 7th time seeing JW conduct the Chicago Symphony (8th, 9th time overall). Should be FUN!

Ricardo

Ricardo,

This'll be my first time in Chicago and to see JW. For Friday, I'm on the main floor: Row O, seat 13. We should have a few words during intermission. We could meet following the last selection of the first section. I'll just stay in my seat and be looking for you for a couple of minutes after people start to leave the hall. I have red hair. I'm also up for a post-concert meeting, as well. Ideas / suggestions, anyone?

Matt

Ricardo,

This'll be my first time in Chicago and to see JW.  For Friday, I'm on the main floor:  Row O, seat 13.  We should have a few words during intermission.  We could meet following the last selection of the first section.  I'll just stay in my seat and be looking for you for a couple of minutes after people start to leave the hall.  I have red hair.  I'm also up for a post-concert meeting, as well.  Ideas / suggestions, anyone?

Matt

Sounds good Matt! I'll look for you right after the first half.

Ricardo

Got back from Chicago today, great concert

Program was as follows:

arr. Williams

Tribute to the Film Composer

Korngold

March from The Adventures of Robin Hood

Williams

Suite from Jane Eyre

At Lowood

To Thornfield

The Return

Hermann

Psycho Montage

Scene d'amour from Vertigo

North by Northwest montage

Newman

Conquest from Captain from Castile

Intermission

arr. Williams

Hooray for Hollywood

arr. Williams

Monsters, Beauties, Heroes:

King Kong, Jaws, Casablanca, An Affair to Remember, Robin Hood, Superman

Williams

Four Pieces from Harry Potter

Hedwig's Theme

Aunt Marge's Waltz

The Knight Bus

Harry's Wondrous World

Steiner, arr. Williams

Theme from Now Voyager

Williams

Adventures on Earth from E.T. (The Extra Terrestrial)

Encores

Luke and Leia Theme

The Olympic Spirit

Raiders March

Star Wars main titles

They were all fantastic but what stood out to me was Jane Eyre which I have a few tracks of but never really listened to it, now I'm in urgent need of the score.

Williams looked great, told a great anecdote about him and Hitchcock on Family Plot. After the concert, one of the attendents told me that if I went downstairs next to the door where the people usually come out, I had a chance of meeting Williams so I go down there and this lady tells me 1-that I'm not on the list and 2-that he will NOT come out this door. Damn!

As per each concert I go to, here be me and Nick, I'm on left

IMG_0893.jpg

Max-off to write Mr. Williams a letter

Saturday's program:

Williams

The Cowboys Overture

Williams

Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Williams

Two pieces from War of the Worlds:

Escape from the City

Epilogue

A Tribute to Three Legendary Composers:

Goldsmith

Star Trek The Motion Picture

Raksin, arr. Morley

Laura

Bernstein

Theme from The Magnificent Seven

Newman

Conquest from Captain from Castile

---intermission---

arr. Williams

Tribute to the Film Composer

Williams

march from '1941'

Williams

Out to Sea and Shark Cage Fugue from Jaws

Williams

Three Pieces from Harry Potter

Hedwig's Theme

Aunt Marge's Waltz

Harry's Wondrous World

Williams

Three Pieces from Star Wars

Imperial March

Anakin's Theme

Throne Room & End Title

Encores:

Luke and Leia

The Mission (NBC news)

Raider's March

1941 March, cool. I'm glad he took the "Knight Bus" piece out of the Potter suite for the second show. I like track on the CD, but it sounded like a jumbled mess live when I saw it (though it was an outdoor venue). The three Star Wars selections are slightly curious. I wonder if "Star Trek: TMP" simply means the main title. I hope the War of the Worlds stuff gets a good reaction.

Tim

How did WOTW sound?

I enjoyed Escape from the City. Sounded good and it was a nice change of pace for that particular point in the concert with its propulsive rhythms. (right after Close Encounters)

And if I might add....

I thought The Knight Bus sounded great on Friday! To my ears, the CSO pulled it off! I ended up enjoying Aunt Marge's Waltz and The Knight Bus much more than I anticipated.

The biggest thrill, the piece that put a HUGE smile on my face, was The Olympic Spirit (on Friday). It was my first time hearing that great Olympic march live. And we had film to accompany it! Olympic athletes, in action, were projected on the big screen while JW and the CSO performed. It was a totally unexpected and wonderful encore!

Ricardo

I thought The Knight Bus sounded great on Friday! To my ears, the CSO pulled it off!

I was happy enough that they had saxophone players playing it although the symphony did sound a little off with it in terms of the dynamic contrasting that never really happened but I thought it was great and I was very surprised with the jazz-styled ending it had since I've never heard it before.

Max