James Newton Howard: The John Williams of the 21th Century?

Sandor

From Film Score Monthly:

DINOSAUR - James Newton Howard

This Disney amalgam of computer animated dinosaurs and live action backgrounds was a frustrating film, technically stunning but marred by the knee-jerk cutesiness endemic to so many family films from the studio, with the impressive visuals often undermined by the familiar script and weak dialogue. This was the first of three animated films Howard scored for Disney, followed by Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet, and though the score's use of that trendy Africa/world-music sound is disappointing, it also features one of Howard's strongest main themes, the kind of instantly memorable melody that suggest Howard has the potential to be the John Williams of the 21st century (assuming Williams himself ever stops scoring films, which looks more and more unlikely at this point).

What do you think? Of course; I don't agree.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He needs a solid collaboration to achieve the status Williams has. One that would involve bigger films. His work with Shyamalan is excellent, but has not reached the broad public I think.

He's not there yet.  I wish Gabriel Yared would get more big profile projects.  The guy has a tremendous range but is never really allowed to explore it fully for North American films....

I want "The Odyssey", with an Odysseus by Sean Bean and a score by Yared!

Williams themes are Iconic. Even people who aren't fimiliar with the man himself know the music and their respective films. Jaws, SW, Indy.

Howard doesn't have any of those themes that the average person can recognize. Just my opinion.

But I do like Howard though. Mostly his early 90's stuff like Grand Canyon, The Fugitive, Falling Down. They were interesting scores. This is the period when he and Zimmer were best. I'm not crazy on these guys softer romantic scores like As Good As It Gets (Ok, Dave was pretty good and Green Card is one of my favorites ever.)

why can't James Newton Howard just be James Newton Howard, and not have to ride anyone's coattails

Whose coattails is he riding on? :?

I could definately see this happening, although he may be too old already. Gregson-Williams could be another possibility, though I like Howard better; he is my second-favorite composer.

~Sturgis

"The next John Williams" is perhaps, one of a few expressions that make absolutely no sense to me. That is a ridiculous statement to make, and anyone who uses it should be ashamed of themselves. Not because of Williams status, but because it's an insult to any composer that is being compared to him unfairly. First of all, I love Williams, but there are other composers out there that deserve attention based on their own accomplishments and merits. James Newton Howard is the James Newton Howard of the 21st Century. End of Story.

Tim

It could be the greatest composer of the 21st Century isn't born yet.

When was Williams born..1932?

Hell, maybe the greatest composer of the 21st Century's parents aren't even born yet

:)

Oh please, people. You're talking apples and oranges here. James Newton Howard is the James Newton Howard of the 21st century who also happens to be the same James Newton Howard of the 20th century as well.

There will never be another John Williams.
why can't James Newton Howard just be James Newton Howard, and not have to ride anyone's coattails.
"The next John Williams" is perhaps, one of a few expressions that make absolutely no sense to me. That is a ridiculous statement to make, and anyone who uses it should be ashamed of themselves. Not because of Williams status, but because it's an insult to any composer that is being compared to him unfairly. First of all, I love Williams, but there are other composers out there that deserve attention based on their own accomplishments and merits. James Newton Howard is the James Newton Howard of the 21st Century. End of Story.

Boys; I don't think you really understand what people mean when they use the phrase: "The Next John Williams".

The Next John Williams is a composer who can elevate himself through his music from the film music realm into the public awareness.

The Next John Williams will become a household name: people who normally have no interest in film music do know the name of this film composer.

The Next John Williams is a composer who's discography is filled with highly succesful scores to highly succesful films.

The Next John Williams is a composer who is able to write highly memorable themes that are known throughout the world.

It absolutely DOES NOT mean that this composer will be an imitation of John Williams; copying his style.

It also DOES NOT mean that this composer is making it his goal to become the most popular film composer in the world; it just happens.

And it does not mean that it is something that everyone has to look forward too. I do however.

Howard will need to score films as influencial as Jaws, Star Wars, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Superman: The Movie, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park and Schindler's List to be as well known by the general public as John Williams.

I'm sure he'll be able to do that if he keeps up with films like The Interpreter. :roll:

His more restrained and generic approach in low key films isn't really helping either.

I don't think JNH cares if he becomes The Next John Williams. He uses the approach he wants to artistically, he's developed his craft greatly over the years and is producing solid work consistently for films and directors he enjoys. He seems to be satisfied with that.

However, I think some composers DO hope fervently to be the Next JW, for ex. Hans Zimmer. Not style-wise of course LOL But he tries to get his name stamped on everything, he wants that fame with the general public, but well, he's ended up with a different, uh, not-so-complimentary brand of "fame."

Going with Roald's definitions, I would be very surprised when/if another film composer reaches the huge name notoriety that John Williams has. IF - as I don't think any composer (probably in my lifetime, at least) can reach that kind of overwhelming stardom.

A lot of it is luck, someday, maybe 50 years from now, the next composer who becomes a "household name" will be lucky enough to have not only enormous talent, but will have secured a watertight collaboration with The Next Spielberg, the brilliant visionary director who makes huge ambitious films, on a tight schedule, that appeal to all ages, and are very consistent.

And, The Next Star Wars would help. :|

I feel the closest we have had to the next Star Wars (not counting other films JW has scored) is probably LOTR. Peter Jackson is a young brilliant visionary making huge ambitious films, they've been consistent so far and had broad appeal, and Howard Shore darn near became a household name, at least for the past few years. It has to be a collaboration with *just* the right director.

Timing and luck... In his combined career Robert Zemeckis has had tremendous success, and tight collaboration with a super scoring talent. If he and Alan Silvestri had been born well, like NOW, and worked 50 years in the future, without the competition of Spielberg-Williams, who knows.

The right composer...the right director...the right time, and lightning strikes.

Greta

My money's on one of our board members being the great film composer of the 21st Century.

Music Composed and Conducted by magical_me

Drax, I'm flattered!

But I'll have to come a long way from arranging/performing all music in a small play (which originally starred Geoffrey Rush!) to hit the big time.

Step one - The Small Poppies

Step two - The world! :|

I feel the closest we have had to the next Star Wars (not counting other films JW has scored) is probably LOTR. Peter Jackson is a young brilliant visionary making huge ambitious films, they've been consistent so far and had broad appeal, and Howard Shore darn near became a household name, at least for the past few years. It has to be a collaboration with *just* the right director.

I agree 100%. Too bad King Kong won't do anything for Shore anymore. I was really seeing a Spielberg/Williams thing growing there after LOTR. Both stylistically very different collaborations, but still...

I really hope we still get to hear Howard Shore's King Kong someday. If JNH's Kong is good, and I feel it will be, it will stand on its own merits regardless of what Shore's score is like. They should both be out there, eventually...

It would be very interesting to hear what Jackson didn't like as far as approach. To compare and contrast the two, and understand more about Jackson's vision. He's a rather interesting character, and a brilliant film mind of our time.

(And in deference to their friendship, and the fact he waited so late in the scoring process to reject the Shore score - I wish PJ would put the Shore Kong as an extra on the DVD release.)

As open as PJ is, this could actually be feasible...and JNH I honestly think would not mind, he has a lot of respect for his peer composers.)

[Zimmer] tries to get his name stamped on everything, he wants that fame with the general public, but well, he's ended up with a different, uh, not-so-complimentary brand of "fame."

A lot of people know Zimmer's music. Especially the young crowd it seems.

But then, some of them still think he wrote Pirates of the Caribbean and all of The Rock, yet have no idea he did The Lion King. :|

Howard will need to score films as influencial as Jaws, Star Wars, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Superman: The Movie, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park and Schindler's List to be as well known by the general public as John Williams.

I'd hardly say being referred to "as the guy who did Star Wars music, right?" means you're well known by the general public. ;)

James Newton Howard is capable of writing great music. As is Harry Gregson-Williams. With these two around, we at least have two good young composers that use mostly orchestral music. Even if neither of them will prove to be quite as good as John Williams, at least they will be able to keep some quality in the music for future films. At least, that's what I hope. I really wouldn't like all films getting Zimmer-like scores. His music is OK, but gets highly repetitive after a few movies.

The Next John Williams will become a household name: people who normally have no interest in film music do know the name of this film composer.

Perhaps it will be a composer for another media besides film. I can't see anyone getting that lucky any time soon, or any movies getting that popular.

John Williams became a household name as much because of the Pops and "Evening at Pops" as because of his soundtracks.

So whoever this person is would probably have to become a TV conductor in addition to scoring the biggest blockbusters of all time. Not likely.

I'm sure in 1974 NOBODY could have predicted the succes John Williams was to have.

In that sense it COULD be JNH. You just can't tell.

John Williams became a household name as much because of the Pops and "Evening at Pops" as because of his soundtracks.

Eh....no. I'm a huge JW fan and I've really only heard his film stuff and various TV news, etc. He's a household name because people go tused to seeing his name in credits and the wonderful music.

I'd say the closest anyone can come is Danny Elfman. Sure, he repeats his music a lot, and not all of it is good, but he's been involved with some fairly big films, such as Spiderman and Tim Burton's stuff. People know the Batman theme, and if they don't know his other themes, they can identify his weird quirky stuff. His only problem is he needs to get his name out there a little more. While I don't think he's as strong a composer as Williams, I think he's close to the "household name" (remember friends, John Williams still isn't exactly a "household name" per se. Most people I know only vaguely know who he is, or just think the name sounds familiar)

Doesn't look good for him with Kong

It's a shame that Jackson sacked Howard Shore, composer for all the "Lord of the Rings" movies, because James Newton Howard's score is hokey and at times, verges on "cookie cutter" scoring. Though the movie looks good, some ideas—like the slo-motion effect overused in the movie's first hour—really takes you out of the "old time feel" of the movie.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/reviewsnews...ws.php?id=12224

That review doesn't look good for all of Kong either. On the other hand; he compares it to Titanic. I had no problems with the Titanic score so maybe I'll like this one too! :wave:

The score is nothing special from what I have heard. Maybe the movie will make it memorable.

I don't think any orchestral composer that we've heard from will become as famous as Williams. They all cut too many corners and obey too many executives to be complex or distinct.

Maybe Williams' type of writing will become a commodity after he dies. But until then, I think we'll continue to see a lot of cookie cutter scores that do the bare minimum to satisfy the studios.

Exceptions include - Elfman, Shore, Chris Gordon

But while these gents sound distinct and have good craft, they are no John Williams.

Of course, it doesn't help comparisons to spend the first hour of a movie on a boat with a lot of characters, trying to develop all of the back stories at once.

Looks like I was right. First 45 minutes focused on characters we don't really care about. Jackson just doesn't know when to end a scene, according to this review and the LOTR films.

At this point, from the scores I've heard from today's composers, I have no prediction for a "new John Williams." Elfman basically only has one sound that he always reuses, James Horner is a hack, Hans Zimmer's music is cheesy, JNH's music (at least from what I've heard) is good, but not blow away, and Howard Shore's LOTR scores are good (though frequently too sentimental), but far from anything like Star Wars. I would rather listen to Williams' score for Fitzwilly before LOTR; and might I add, Williams talent was already coming to the forefront with the march from Fitzwilly, so if one were listening closely, he/she could definitely hear the potential at that point in time.

The film scorer whom I found being CLOSE to Williams (though still not there) was Jerry Goldsmith. James Horner had some great stuff, but no one here needs to waste their breath on that issue.

I think one MAJOR thing that distinguishes Williams, and which also helped secure him as the greatest musical voice in cinema, is that he is TRUE. All of his life he has been immersed in classical/orchestral music--in fact, all kinds of music--and he loves it entirely. He writes scores because he LOVES it, because it is his deepest passion for life. If all he wanted was money and fame--as I suspect many filmscorers do--then he would't be scoring 3-4 film scores a year. He'd be lying around sipping a martini some place and maybe making additional money by dishing out a few hack music jobs. And we know from any interview that the guy has virtually no ego (as far as we can tell). He's always extremely humble about his music, but he keeps writing it because, allow me to reiterate, he LOVES it.

Thus I would argue that one of the greatest aspects which distinguishes Williams from everyone else--which distinguishes even his MUSIC from everybody else's--is his character.

James Newton howard is a very good composer. That's a fact.

But, still, he's the exact contrary of John Williams. The best quality of John Wiliams' music is how catchy and recognizable are his themes. Almost every score has a "Main theme" which even a lot of non-score fans knows and can whistle. Williams is the theme-master. Nobody like him has never be so damn good in writing amazing themes and nobody willl ever be like him.

You know, I think John Williams is one of those persons, that are unreachable in what they do. Like Michael Jordan, for example. Surely there are a lot of great, talented, promising basketball players, but nobody will never ever be like Mike.

JNH has yet to write a memorable theme. That absolutely doesn't mean his scores are bad, on the contrary. I like a lot of his works, like Signs, or The Village. He's very versatile, Peter Pan, Vertical Limit, Space Jam or The Dreamcatcher are just some of the proves.

All excellent scores, but none of them has a really memorable theme.

If you take any of the most famous Williams' score, you have a lot of memorable themes.

See, JNH has yet to compose something like the Star Wars Main Theme, and possibly never will. He's great in everything else, though.

I agree that no one can write a theme like JW, but as far as others go, I think JNH does pretty well. The main theme and love theme from Peter Pan are both excellent and very "hummable," and the same goes for numerous themes from Dinosaur, the love theme from The Village, and the main themes from Treasure Planet, Waterworld, Wyatt Earp, and The Prince of Tides (Greta could add a few to the list, I'm sure :)) He also usually writes in a very leitmotivic fashion, similar to Williams, which is refreshing today.

Ray Barnsbury

Your point? JNH writes memorable themes for film music fans, and Signs was remembered for a while after the film by the general public. People recognize the creeping violins and three-note pizzicato motif when they hear it still. Of course, it's no where near as memorable as Jaws or Star Wars, but it is memorable.

~Sturgis, who greatly admires JNH :(