Spanish Star Wars 1977/8 reaction?

Luke Skywalker

Anybody was there? I dont think any regular member was there, but maybe some guests were.

With the anniversary of our king's reinate, i came with this weird idea:

Spain was in the verge of a crumbling tyrannical order. Democracy was trying to return. I would like to know how people saw it, if they did identify with the rebels, fighting againts the 'empire'. And things like that.

Manuel, glad Spain had a new hope.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't born at that time either.

No clear parallelism, in my opinion.

There were rebels, OK, but they couldn't overthrow Franco, they had to wait till his (natural) death. Something that still many republicans don't "forgive" to the spanish country.

The King, btw, was chosen by the dictator himself, it wasn't a democratic choice (though he fortunately decided to follow the democratic path).

Well, i know... but the emperor had a long period of ruling... and so.. I really meant the return of democracy over dictatorship, that may have occured the same year (was SW released in 1978?)

The democratic choice was made when the constitution included the king. Republicans rather blame the allies back in 1945 than the scared spanishs after war...

I rather stick with the topic or this will be closed. :mrgreen:

The democratic choice was made when the constitution included the king.

Was there any other constitution option to vote for?

Republicans rather blame the allies back in 1945 than the scared spanishs after war...

Very true. Everyone thought americans (Jedis?) would invade Spain after the Big (Clone?) War, neutralize fascism and refound the Republic. It was a big disappointment.

I couldnt find it, but i supposed since movies were released months after the US release a long time ago...

It may habe been late 1977, my initial post still states democracy was still not here.

In 1986, ANH was released (or not??)

And i well dont know what the people thought by then. I was in kindergarten. ;)

Anakin was the chosen one, he became Darth Vader, Darth Vader is in Star wars.

So chosen one is in that film, you all just didn't know it yet, only Lucas did.

Right Manuel?

That is correct, isn't it?

Neil, tell him :P

Well I wasn't there at the time (in fact, I was born the same year RotJ was released, so you can imagine).

I guess this connection wasn't made beyond film critics and so. Besides Franco was already dead; if it had been released a few years before it would have been more obvious. I'd like to know what would have been the censorship's opinion in the tough years. Cause if you work on it you can make loads of relations with reality.

In 1977 the audience chose and won.

Neil

am i the only one who got the joke?

I got it. ROTFLMAO

Neil

I got it, too.

-W