Rate Doyle's score for Goblet of Fire out of 10.

Damo

Rate Doyle's score for Goblet of Fire out of 10  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1/10 (Worst....Score....Ever....Bring JW back)
    • 2/10
    • 3/10
    • 4/10
    • 5/10 (Not bad..its okay)
    • 6/10
    • 7/10
    • 8/10
    • 9/10
    • 10/10 (best score....Doyle is just as good as JW)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't I vote something like "5: Bring back John Williams for crying out loud!". The music is OK and does work in the movie mostly, but completely lacks the absolute brilliance that is even apparent in lesser John Williams scores.

Also, i'm sure GOF is no were as bad as The Patriot.
I never found The Patriot a very bad score. I actually really like the main theme, as well as a fair few other tracks: To Charleston, The Colonial Cause, Preparing for Battle and Tavington's Trap. Not sure about the other tracks, but I do really like those. Oh dear; now I've done it. Now I've lost any sort of credibility I might have had left! ROTFLMAO

I gave it a 10/10. Now, I would give Williams' scores a 10/10, too. My reasoning here, beyond my enjoyment of the music (all four films), is that Doyle did not try to imitate or become Williams. Had he tried that, his score would have failed miserably. No, he instead wrote his own music (or at least channeled Elgar), so that he gave the score a British, education-world feel. Williams captured the magic, Doyle captured the British (or did they say it's in Scotland at one point?) element, but both captured the essence of Harry Potter in my opinion.

~Conor

I gave it a 10/10.  Now, I would give Williams' scores a 10/10, too.  My reasoning here, beyond my enjoyment of the music (all four films), is that Doyle did not try to imitate or become Williams.  Had he tried that, his score would have failed miserably.  No, he instead wrote his own music (or at least channeled Elgar), so that he gave the score a British, education-world feel.  Williams captured the magic, Doyle captured the British (or did they say it's in Scotland at one point?) element, but both captured the essence of Harry Potter in my opinion.

~Conor

conor your reasoning is flawed. yes he wrote his own music, and its pedestrian, it does not live up to the film. and your comment I've highlighted in bold is rediculous, Williams captured the British sound in POA, Doyle did not.

I know, Williams used a recorder and out-of-normal-production medieval instruments in PoA and the best part is that it was somewhat inexplicable, perhaps he did it beause the movie was filmed in Scotland and the scenery was gorgeous.

But Newell and Doyle wanted to be so Bitish, yet nothing in the film or score stands out as being more British than their predecessors.

~Sturgis

Also, i'm sure GOF is no were as bad as The Patriot.
I never found The Patriot a very bad score. I actually really like the main theme, as well as a fair few other tracks: To Charleston, The Colonial Cause, Preparing for Battle and Tavington's Trap. Not sure about the other tracks, but I do really like those. Oh dear; now I've done it. Now I've lost any sort of credibility I might have had left! :angry:

erm, I actually really liked The Patriot. my favorite JW sound are those with americana tunes mixed with a dash of some folksiness. 8O

Before I saw the film, I would've gave it a 6/10 maybe...

But now, after seeing the film, and I think it's a great, inspiring film... Well, Doyle's uninspired attempts just make me hate the score even more.

Lol

6/10. It definitely has parts that are great, but nothing brilliant. And some aspects are just downright disappointing, especially when compared with what JW or numerous other composers likely could/would have done.

Ray Barnsbury - who nonetheless enjoys listening to it quite a bit

I have no idea what any of you are talking about. How is GOF not English? Listen to Neville's Waltz. That is so Elgarian, what with the Horns and Cellos playing the melody, and it jumps up to the 7 of the 4 chord before changing direction (3.. 4, 5, 6., 10, 9, 8, 3.. '.'=1 beat, ','=half beat). Then listen to Hogwart's March. That is almost reminiscent of Wallace And Gromit. Well, I personally think that Doyle created a wonderfully British, magical score, and you can disagree with me, but I still stand by my enjoyment of the music. No amount of argument will take away the fact that the music makes me feel good inside.

~Conor

I have no idea what any of you are talking about.  How is GOF not English?  Listen to Neville's Waltz.  That is so Elgarian, what with the Horns and Cellos playing the melody, and it jumps up to the 7 of the 4 chord before changing direction (3.. 4, 5, 6., 10, 9, 8, 3.. '.'=1 beat, ','=half beat).  Then listen to Hogwart's March.  That is almost reminiscent of Wallace And Gromit.  Well, I personally think that Doyle created a wonderfully British, magical score, and you can disagree with me, but I still stand by my enjoyment of the music.  No amount of argument will take away the fact that the music makes me feel good inside.

~Conor

If Doyle's music is what constitute's "British", then "British" sucks.

Well, going by your examples, the most British parts of the score are the three source music cues, which I would agree with (even though they don't sound all that British anyway). No, Williams certainly created a much more British score with PoA.

Ray Barnsbury

How is Medieval automatically British?! Williams' score for POA, which was certainly good, is not the kind of music you would find at Magdalen College in Oxford or played for the Queen. No, you would hear Elgar and Vaughan Williams (or Purcell and Handel, but they're a different kind of English). The musical atmosphere of certain parts of GOF was more scholarly than Williams created. I'm not bashing Williams' scores. They are some of my favorites, and GOF has not been around long enough to have made itself a place in that category in my musical choices. However, I have a hard time bashing Doyle's score when it was so musically effective in the movie, as well as being so enjoyable outside. I fail to see how any of the music that Williams wrote is more English than parts of the GOF score. Granted, parts of GOF were less nationally tied and more simply created to underscore the scene, but those parts that were intentionally English were so very much.

~Conor

I gave it an 8. After I saw the film I realized that there is so much beauty in Doyle's score. From humoristic tracks like Rita Skeeter to Hogwarts' Hymn and my favorite moment being that part in Voldemort where Doyle pulls a "Window to the Past" sort of thing.

That scene in the film is probably my favorite scene in the whole movie (the Harry sees the ghosts moment) and the music really, REALLY impressed.

No, Williams certainly created a much more British score with PoA.

Do you base this opinion on any actual knowledge of english music?

Well, since there's not anything remotely british in 'POA' other than the somewhat 'Tudorian' beginning of the 'Hagrid' track, i suppose not.

I have to agree with Conor here. The PoA is slightly British sounding, with only certain sections of the "A Window to the Past" theme sounding like Vaughn-Williams. Overall there isn't anything remolely British about the Azkaban score based on my knowledge of that type of music.

:| Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis

Tim

Do you base this opinion on any actual knowledge of english music?  

Well, since there's not anything remotely british in 'POA' other than the somewhat 'Tudorian' beginning of the 'Hagrid' track, i suppose not.

Perhaps I should have said "British-sounding." Williams uses recorders, harpsichords, and out-of-production Medieval (sounding) instruments throughout the score. No, I don't have any knowledge of what true British music is, but as film music goes, PoA is meant to sound British/English/Medieval/whatever the hell you want to call it to the average filmgoer, whether or not it's "authentic." And it does, much moreso than GoF.

Ray Barnsbury

I am glad Patrick Doyle went his own way with the music while keeping the main theme intact. But ...

As far as making this his own score, I wonder why there wasn't any call to create grand fantastical fanfares for each of the three tasks, as well as the Quidditch World Cup. The fanfares he created, ... well I forgot them after a minute.

The opening of the film (through the first three minutes) were great. The rest was ho-hum.

The entire time I kept thinking, "I miss John Williams," especially in the Voldemort-Harry showdown. JW's theme for Voldemort, as well as the family theme he composed for "SS" would have been perfect for that scene.

Oh well. I'm sure Patrick Doyle feels like he got some payback after JW took "Stepmom" from him.

Actually I disagree. Whoaa.

I don't feel like either of what people consider as Voldemort's theme (the three note SS motif, and the He Who Must Not Be Named theme), would really fit the whole Voldemort sequence in the movie....

To be honest, I think Doyle's rendition of the events fits quite perfectly...

I don't know maybe Johnny could have come up with something just as perfect with his own theme...but from what I've heard of his theme for Voldemort...I prefer Doyle's approach.

The music is OK and does work in the movie mostly, but completely lacks the absolute brilliance that is even apparent in lesser John Williams scores.

This is exactly what I said when we left, after I woke up from the end titles.

My favorite part was the arrival of Durmstrang & Beauxbatons.

I am aware that I could be biased and bitter, so I'll have to give this another listen in a while, when I'm over my initial impression.

I don't feel like either of what people consider as Voldemort's theme (the three note SS motif, and the He Who Must Not Be Named theme), would really fit the whole Voldemort sequence in the movie....

Actually, there are two themes (one for You Know Who, one for Voldemort) aside from that three note motif.

Marian - who thinks they would have worked perfectly in GOF.

Before seeing the movie: 4/10

After seeing the movie: 2/10

I know, Williams used a recorder and out-of-normal-production medieval instruments in PoA and the best part is that it was somewhat inexplicable, perhaps he did it beause the movie was filmed in Scotland and the scenery was gorgeous.

The use of medieval instruments, or a medieval atmosphere in general, in PoA was a stroke of genius, intended or not. It gave PoA its very delicate, very special flavour.

Doyle doesn't use ANY instruments other than the usual orchestra set-up, and he can't even pull that off with style.

Thanks to GoF, I've now got an aversion against cymbal crashes and bass drum strokes. That ridiculously overblown BASS DRUM ... ! Track 1 opens with it, track 3 consists of nothing else, track 4 has plenty of it, not to mention "Golden Egg". And when the drum shuts up, the cymbals start crashing.

Somebody needs to tell Doyle that there are other ways to highlight a beat, not only cymbal crashes and bass drum hammering.

Every single track is so dull and monotone. It's not even Howard Shore interesting-monotone, just sheer, boring, gaping dullness.

The use of medieval instruments, or a medieval atmosphere in general, in PoA was a stroke of genius, intended or not.

It definitely gave the film a nicer touch because of the gothic filming style that Cauron elected to use. The contrast between the two worked exceptionally well.

Tim

Interestingly, apart from the opening of the end credits, Goblet of Fire is the first score that actually uses Hedwig's theme as a theme for Hedwig and owls delivering mail. :mrgreen: