16.Thoughts Of Home

17.Hiding The Family

18.End Credits

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15.The Raid In Tarifa

mmm... spielberg has not shooted anything on spain... maybe he has shooted in secrecy?

Or just another 'filming one place instead of the real thing' scene.

Spain has been 'the other place' a lot of times. Cadiz was Cuba in Die another Day, Soria was Russia in Dr Zivagho, Madrid mountains were Beijing in 55 Days at Peking, Almeria the dessert in Last Crusade, Sevilla the spaceport in Theed... well, maybe the last example was not the best.

By the way, are there any sopilers in the titles? (I haven't read them)

Cheer up gents. Decca is great about pre-releasing their CDs on iTunes so it's possible that we could be hearing this score sooner than we think.

As as much as I'm interested in the whole experience of KONG, I believe Munich will be a far better film. Perhaps the best of the year. Who knows.

I'm not sure about that one, but I can definately imagine 'The Conspirators' in 'Stalking Carl'. In general, I imagine it'll be pretty elegaic stuff.

Spain has been 'the other place' a lot of times. Cadiz was Cuba in Die another Day, Soria was Russia in Dr Zivagho, Madrid mountains were Beijing in 55 Days at Peking, Almeria the dessert in Last Crusade, Sevilla the spaceport in Theed... well, maybe the last example was not the best.

By the way, are there any sopilers in the titles? (I haven't read them)

Guadix=Iskenderum railstation

Majorca= Birds of charlemagne scene

Loarre=Some frech castle in Kingdom of heaven

I think in DAD cuba is comprised of three spanish locations...

And you forgot the almost entiley shot in Spain: Conan the Barbarian.

From Variety, as posted at FSM

Tackling Spielberg's "Munich" forced Williams to do a musical 180, he says. "It couldn't be more different from 'Geisha' in ambiance and texture."

For it, he created "a kind of prayer for peace, a lyrical composition associated with Avner (Eric Bana) and the home he leaves behind in Israel," and another theme for solo voice and orchestra "that accompanies one of several flashbacks to the tarmac at Munich, and also one of several scenes that recall the abduction of the Olympic athletes from their rooms at the Olympic Village" in 1972. Lisbeth Scott, the vocalist on "The Passion of the Christ," is the soloist.

Searching for an authentic Palestinian sound, Williams employed the oud, a Middle Eastern lute, and added the cimbalom, a Hungarian zither, as well as clarinet and strings for "an almost fantastically Oriental quality," he says.

'

TtBk

I find these track titles to be very promising.

Very! :sigh: I'm very excited and the above quote only heightens the excitement for the score

Max

from spielbergfilms.com

-‘Munich’ rated R by MPAA

Steven Spielberg’s upcoming film “Munich” has been rated R by the Motion Picture Association of America for strong graphic violence, some sexual content, nudity and language.

The film will premiere in major markets in the U.S. this December 23, followed by a wide release in North America on January 6. International premieres will follow in late January.

-Composer John Williams’ ‘Munich’ score coming this January

The soundtrack album of John Williams’ score for “Munich” will be released by Decca Classics on January 20, 2006. The score marks Williams and Steven Spielberg’s 22nd feature length collaboration.

Following is a track listing for the album that may contain SPOILERS:

1. Munich, 1972

2. The Attack at Olympic Village

3. Hatikvah (The Hope)

4. Remembering Munich

5. Letter Bombs

6. A Prayer for Peace

7. Bearing the Burden

8. Avner and Daphna

9. The Tarmac at Munich

10. Avner's Theme

11. Stalking Carl

12. Bonding

13. Encounter in London and Bomb Malfunctions

14. Discovering Hans

15. The Raid in Tarifa

16. Thoughts of Home

17. Hiding the Family

18. End Credits

END SPOILERS

John Williams recently talked about his work on “Munich” in a Variety article in which he said the film couldn’t have been “more different from ‘Geisha’ [his latest score preceding “Munich”] in ambience and texture.”

By Variety’s report, it appears as if Williams continues to explore the ethnic instrumentation and sounds he has been exploring lately in scores such as “Minority Report,” “Revenge of the Sith,” and more notably, “Memoirs of a Geisha.”

Williams told Variety he composed “a kind of prayer for peace, a lyrical composition associated with Avner [perhaps in “Avner’s Theme”? — referencing the main character portrayed by actor Eric Bana] and the home he leaves behind in Israel.

Williams also composed a theme [“The Tarmac at Munich”] “that accompanies one of several flashbacks to the tarmac at Munich, and also one of several scenes that recall the abduction of the Olympic athletes from their rooms at the Olympic Village.” Expect this theme to be quite haunting, as the locale of the tarmac outside of the city marks a site where the tragedy of the ’72 Olympics came to an end during a horribly botched attempt to liberate the Israeli captives. “Passion of the Christ” soloist Lisbeth Scott performed solo vocal work on “The Tarmac at Munich.”

To musically portray the other side of the event’s conflict, Williams sought to give an “authentic Palestinian sound” [Variety’s words] by employing “the oud, a Middle Eastern lute…a cimbalom, a Hungarian zither, as well as clarinet and strings” for what Williams calls “an almost fantastically Oriental quality.”

The score for “Munich” marks John Williams’ fourth feature assignment this year, including “Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith,” and his third for a Steven Spielberg production including “War of the Worlds” and “Memoirs of a Geisha.”

i doubt very seriously that the soundtrack will be released that late in the USA.

Williams told Variety he composed “a kind of prayer for peace, a lyrical composition associated with Avner

Ethnic wail? The above statement may indicate it's much closer to something like Where Dreams Are Born. I hope so.

1- Williams told Variety he composed “a kind of prayer for peace, a lyrical composition associated with Avner [perhaps in “Avner’s Theme”? — referencing the main character portrayed by actor Eric Bana] and the home he leaves behind in Israel.

2- Williams also composed a theme [“The Tarmac at Munich”] “that accompanies one of several flashbacks to the tarmac at Munich, and also one of several scenes that recall the abduction of the Olympic athletes from their rooms at the Olympic Village.” Expect this theme to be quite haunting, as the locale of the tarmac outside of the city marks a site where the tragedy of the ’72 Olympics came to an end during a horribly botched attempt to liberate the Israeli captives.

3- “Passion of the Christ” soloist Lisbeth Scott performed solo vocal work on “The Tarmac at Munich.”

1- Eric bana´s character is jew (so middle east music), and his theme portrays sorrow, how does this sound always in film scores of late?

2- Another remembering scenes, and desolated places are also score with wails

3- this is the most bold, if i recall correctly all the vocals were wail in "Passion"

But it could be like the jewish chants in Shindler´s

Anyway i dont think the music will be bad at all...

It certainly is curious that they aren't releasing this until late January. Guess he really was scrambling to get the score done on time.

It sounds like there could be some really moving pieces in this score. I'm really hoping so, as Geisha, though I'm still getting used to it, kinda left me hanging in regards to having much emotion.

Ray Barnsbury

It's not. It's an amazing score when in comes to the amount of work Williams put into the solo instrumentation writing, but with the exception of Confluence it's not as emotionally striking as Schindler's List or Born On The Fourth Of July. I'm hoping Munich will provide more emotion in cues like A Prayer For Peace or Avner's Theme.

I agree with Roald. Memoirs is Willimas score of the year for me (so far...) It certainly seems to me that Memoirs is the score Williams put the most effort into. It must have been fun but time-consuming learning how to write and notate music for the ethnic instruments involved.

Be careful. Do not expect this score to be so "moving". It is not as black and white a story as Schindler's List. It will have some difficulty, like "refugee status" in War of the Worlds. I doubt there will be as clear an expression of feeling as Schindler's list. That's not to say it will be worse, but for all of you who want lots of melodic sorrow and beauty, I don't think the movie would carry it.

Judging by these tracktitles it is clear that Munich will be one of the best Williams scores of the last 10 - 15 years.

Indeed.

Justin - Who remembered people saying that "The Reunion" from War of The Worlds was going to be classic Williams at his best. ROTFLMAO

I thought it was going to be difficult to beat RotS, but Memoirs certainly did it. I would now be quick to say that Munich can't possibly beat Memoirs, but who can say without hearing one note first? Obviously I will be waiting anxiously for the new score so I can more accurately judge this year's massive output from the maestro.

The man is a machine.

Tim

Justin - Who remembered people saying that "The Reunion" from War of The Worlds was going to be classic Williams at his best.

Yeah, Williams definitely let me down with that one!

Ray Barnsbury

Spielbergfilms.com says December 20th. Im very optimistic about this one. All 3 scores have been very good this year. Im expecting the movie to be a tear jerker.

Any idea what this is going to sound like? Will there be any action, or will it be scored dramatically like Private Ryan?

The only think we know so far is the one article that has already been posted in this thread. Beyond that, we have no other sources of information pertaining to the score. I have a feeling, based on article, that there will be a lot of heavy emotional underscore.

Tim

Any idea what this is going to sound like? Will there be any action, or will it be scored dramatically like Private Ryan?

Judging by the cover, I'd definitely say it won't sound anything like Home Alone.

It's up on Amazon now. (They have the 12/27 date.) It may have been on there for a while now but I couldn't find it. Silly me, I kept including "John Williams" in my search, but it's actually being scored by "Original Score"! :| I submitted a correction for that.

It's up on Amazon now. (They have the 12/27 date.) It may have been on there for a while now but I couldn't find it. Silly me, I kept including "John Williams" in my search, but it's actually being scored by "Original Score"!  :| I submitted a correction for that.

Original score is one of the most profilic composers working in Hollywood these days (atleast according to Amazon) ;)

I had to search Munich from Amazon.uk by adding Williams' name in the search. Otherwise I woud get every performance ever recorded in Munich by every other artist. The release date is 30th of January.

Amazon.uk