What is your favorite Television Series of all time?

Sandor

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current favourite is Gilmore Girls, secondary current favourite ('cause it's running on BBC Prime at the moment :)) is Coupling. But of course, there's also Flying Circus, Simpsons, Futurama, TNG, DS9, Friends... 24 had a great first season and a good second one, haven't finished season 3 yet. And I have to see more Malcolm in the Middle.

Marian - who used to dislike most TV series until a few years ago. :)

The Singing Detective (1986 miniseries)

Nothing else comes close.

But:

Dr Who

Monty Python's Flying Circus

The Office (UK)

A Very Peculiar Practice

Yes Minister (and Prime Minister)

The Avengers (Mrs Peel!)

Live action: Bewitched, Family Ties, Silver Spoons

Cartoons: Looney Tunes, Merry Melodies, Tom and Jerry, Scooby-Doo

I'm probably leaving out a lot, but that's what comes to mind at the moment.

Hmmmm . . .

1) Gilmore Girls

2) Friends

3) The O.C. - yes, seriously

4) Desperate Housewives

5) The Office (US)

6) The Apprentice

7) Survivor - it used to be one of the best shows around . . . now it's just gotten old

~Sturgis

My absolute favorites are Gilmore Girls and Friends. Other faves are The OC, Desperate Housewives, The Office (US), The Apprentice, Boy Meets World, and Whose Line is it Anyway? (US).

Ray Barnsbury

In no particular order, here are a few that come to mind.

I'm sure there are many. But perhaps i'll remember later.

Blackadder

Monty Python

The Wonder Years

Young Indiana Jones Chronicles

Star Trek (original series)

Doogie Howser M.D (for some bizzare reason, i loved it)

Red Dwarf (series 1-3)

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet

The Brittas Empire

Porridge

Open all Hours

Bottom

Some mothers do ave em

Sleepers

Only Fools and Horses

The League of Gentlemen

Drama? I'd go with Lost. The plot is nothing new, but the way it is narrated is fantastic, and so is the careful re-use of classic hooks for the audience, which have never felt as new.

Comedy? Well, for American comedy I'd have to go with Seinfeld, perhaps closedly matched by Curb Your Enthusiasm. As for British, I honestly can't decided between Fawlty Towers and The Young Ones.

Stargate SG-1

Stargate: Atlantis

Seinfeld

The Simpsons

Boston Legal

The X-Files

Sabrina the Teenage Witch

Smallville

Diff'rent Strokes

Hogan's Heroes

Married... With Children

Monk

Columbo

Star Trek

According to Jim

Still Standing

Alf

MacGyver

Black Books

Surely, you exclude the bad episodes, right? Or do you think all subsequent episodes were up to the pilot's standards?

All of series one and most of series two. Series three was disappointing, but still entertaining. I also mentioned The Simpsons and Alias, both of which saw a progressive drop in quality, but overall the strong points far outshadow the weaker in all three shows.

The X-Files

The cast change never bothered me, and I didn't think there was a drop in quality during the 'super soldier' phase. Got all 4 of the new volumes on dvd, and I still love it!

I also love 24 and Arrested Development, which is quite honestly the funniest show I've ever seen on television

I Love Lucy,

Dick Van Dyke Show,

Star Trek,

Star Trek DS9

Star Trek TNG

Law & Order SVU

Whose Line is it Anyways, US, so superior to the British for two reasons, Drew, and Wayne Brady.

and the winner

SOUTH PARK

Interesting to see The Office appearing on several lists, but some rate the UK one more (quite rightly!) and some plump for the US version. I wonder which one will get the most votes on this thread.

Whose Line is it Anyways, US, so superior to the British for two reasons, Drew, and Wayne Brady.

Agreed, except I can't stand Drew. Ryan and Colin are hysterical, and Greg is consistently funny. Chip is absolutely unbearable. He's the most irritating, unfunny part of the show. Thank God he's not a reguar.

Star Trek The Next Generation

Star Trek Deep Space Nine

Star Trek Voyager

Stargate SG-1

Stargate Atlantis

Sometimes CSI: Miami if I happen to remember to watch it.

I never really watch to much television....

Agreed, except I can't stand Drew. Ryan and Colin are hysterical, and Greg is consistently funny. Chip is absolutely unbearable. He's the most irritating, unfunny part of the show. Thank God he's not a reguar.

Colin is my absolute favorite! He's so....ridiculous and old, or something. He's just goofy.

Joe reminded me about the classics: I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, and The Mary Tyler Moore Show (I miss this one!!!) were all fantastic.

Oh, and Lost is pretty darn good too; I just got into it this season.

Ray Barnsbury - whose night was made 100% better after watching a hysterical episode of The Office ;)

The X-Files

The cast change never bothered me, and I didn't think there was a drop in quality during the 'super soldier' phase.

I agree, except for the awful series finale. What a waste.

Oh man! I completely forgot about The X-Files. I used to watch it religiously until the movie came out. Once I caught that one in the theaters (and enjoyed it), I kinda stopped following through on my TV viewing. Shame too, becaue I had to buy the DVDs to find out about Mulder's sister and all of that stuff. Though I did catch the series finale (the only episode I saw in that entire 9th season), which took place on my birthday, May 19th. I was a nice little present, and brought to an end one of the first series I watched consistently for a very long time.

Tim

In no particular order, but I'll try to make categories--

My most favorite ones

Twin Peaks

Star Trek-- the Original Series & The Next Generation; I have seen little of Voyager (and liked it), and nothing of the others

Columbo

The X-Files

Hawaii Five-O-- the stories & characters were really good

Other favorite series

McGyver-- the first seasons (though I don't know the detail of the breakdown); as the years passed, it tended to turn into "social assistant" McGyver, with little (sometimes even no) "McGyverism(s)"

Alias

E.R.-- they've managed to keep dealing with serious issues, and have never had qualms hitting the characters hard, making for good developments and new themes

Buffy, the Vampire Slayer (I haven't seen anything from the "Angel" spin-off)

Without a Trace-- the stories kept growing more complex and interesting in Season 2

Remington Steele

Non-continuity shows

The Twilight Zone

Steven Spileberg's Amazing Series

Tales from the Crypt

Strange nobody mention Battle Star Galactica (the new remake on SkyOne and SciFi). Nice story plot and always something new in every single episode. Seasion 2 continous on january. I am really looking forward to this ;)

- Update -

The Wild Wild West

The Avengers

Wonder Woman-- I don't remember much of the episodes, just a few images & moments (something with a brain transfer of some character at one point, I believe), but I know Lynda Carter must have been the first woman I've fallen in love with, so divinely lovely she was

Charlie's Angels-- same as above; Jaclyn Smith, Cheryl Ladd, Farah Fawcett: heaven!

Lost-- great; a mix of several genres, and it tackles several subjects through the background flashbacks; I hope the resolution will be satisfying; Abrahms has great ideas, constantly renews Alias, but both Alias & Lost seem to have "improvisation" moments, that may lead to "Stephen King adaptation"-ish disappointments: "Gee, that was great, but am I going to do with this, how am i going to explain this? how can I resolve this unsolvable dilemma? Oh, I know, I'll forget it, or throw in a big deus ex machina / sledgehammer solution"

New York 911-- I only caught it from the second half of season 6, but I liked it a lot

Boomtown-- I'm surprised it didn't catch on and was quickly cancelled; there were good stories & characters, and fresh angles to the storytelling; we didn't even get the last episodes (half second season here)

Band of Brothers-- an outstanding mini-series and war drama

The only comedy series member liking are Happy Days (those were the days, indeed) and Parker Lewis Can't Lose-- the latter was the only teenage/high school series I found watchable, due to the parodic nature of the show, the wacky story points, the cartoonish effects (not Ally McBeal CGI effects, but practical effects, sound effects-- like Ms Russo's shattering glass door--, direction, ...), the incredible world they created (the gadgets, secret hideouts within the high school, ...).

I haven't seen the UK version yet, but I love the US version of The Office. Apparently it's doing pretty good in the ratings, so we can look forward to a season 3!

Gotta make a second shout out to the best show in terms of dramatic structure, that I've ever seen.

Babylon 5. The show just blows me away everytime I see it. It's biggest problem is that it's hard to just grab one episode without wanting to finish the whole series. Brilliant in it's story telling. I can't praise it enough.

TNG is still my "Favorite" and has stronger characters, I think. Although there are parts where I wish it was more like Babylon 5.

Justin

I haven't seen the UK version yet, but I love the US version of The Office. Apparently it's doing pretty good in the ratings, so we can look forward to a season 3!

Indeed. Wasn't the first season only about 6 or 7 episodes?

It's being moved to Thursday night now! Will help begin to renew NBC's once unbeatable Thursday night schedule.

~Sturgis, who agrees that the Christmas special Ray mentioned last night was hilarious :thumbup: