Star Trek vs. Harry Potter - The Final Frontier!

Unlucky Bastard

Which do you like better?  

40 members have voted

1. 1.

• Star Trek
    • Harry Potter

Some may find the idea of this thread... insulting, but I'd love to know the ratio of Potterfans and Trekkies on the board. An interesting trend I've noticed is that most Trekkies seem to have knowledge of Potter stuff, but try to get a Potterfan to respond to a Trek quote, you'll be there 'till you're green in the face until the Potterfan says "is that something from Star Track?"

But anyway, I vote... Star Trek!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the only Trek film I've seen all of the way through is the one with the whales, then I have to say the Potter franchise. Trek never did anything for me, and frankly, it's a bit silly.

Tim

Of course Star Trek. The 45 minutes of TNG's Episode The Inner Light are alone better than all the books, movies and whatever else makes up the Potter franchise.

One exception: Potter music is overal better that Trek music.

Star Trek, of course-- original crew series & movies, TNG series & movies (bar the last one, which I haven't seen yet); I haven't seen much of the other spin-offs, though, and only from Voyager.

Harry Potter is very good (the movies, I haven't read any of the books yet), and they are getting better each time (except TCoS).

As for the scores, to be fair, you ought to compare that of the movies only, given the overwhelming amounf of music in the serie.

HP: great themes by John Williams, repeated in all 4 (with two beautiful new themes for flying creatures, a nice theme in TPoA).

ST: a great theme & major score by Goldsmith for ST:TMP, then a great new theme & score by Horner; later on, Goldsmith re-arranged his themes, penned equally great new ones (in other words, not a repeat, as is mostly the case for HP 1 & 2), varied his approaches to the movies (adapting to their own changes in tone); and in the midst of this, Cliff Eidelman provided yet another great new theme and score; Rosenman's score even features some fun themes.

ST thus clearly beats HP to a pulp in terms of quality & variety; Williams has written several great themes, but we had to wait for the third movie to get something really different; as for Doyle, he write a very good, very nice score (playing right now), but not as immediately catchy and memorable as Williams' themes or the ST themes.

- Roald -

I love "The Inner Light" too; and Jay Chattaway wrote a very nice theme for it, which he expanded into a wonderful orchestrakl suite (available on the first 30th Anniversary "Best of Star Trek" album).

B000079BDV.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

- Roald -  

I love "The Inner Light" too; and Jay Chattaway wrote a very nice theme for it, which he expanded into a wonderful orchestrakl suite (available on the first 30th Anniversary "Best of Star Trek" album).

I have it! One of my favorite lesser known themes of all time! Love it! ;)

Do I actually need to state my opinion here?

Justin

God Damn Potter fans. They never could speak up ;)

My favourite?. Trek, for sure. Potter is for Muggles.

Trekkies are nerds

K.M.

Adults who like Harry Potter the thought is quite frankly...well disturbing.

Ya so what if I'm a nerd when it comes to Star Trek? Star Trek is far better than Potter ever will be. Potter never has had (probably never will) 10 Motion Picture films and 5 television series.

As far as the music goes too Star Trek wins in that catagory. :)

Potterfan says "is that something from Star Track?"

I hate when people mis-label or mis-spell Star Trek. It's NOT that hard to get it right. ;)

Trekkies are nerds

K.M.

Potterfans are usually girls. Take a look at any Potter-based board and you'll really be hard-pressed searching for a high number of male members. JWfan.net probably has the highest concentration of male fans of Potter I've ever seen on a message board.

But, you gotta admit... chicks dig phasers more than wands. ;)

At least Star Trek isn't considered "For Children".

No, it's for perpetual virgins.

Ray Barnsbury

That is so not true. :roll:

It's a joke, dude (just as ridiculous as the one I quoted). Are you just bitter that Ster Trek is losing? It's really not that big a deal. ;)

Ray Barnsbury

I voted for Potter, although I enjoy both, and don't consider Harry Potter to be any better than Star Trek. But, I'm am definitely more versed in the Potterverse than I am with the Federation, so that was the deciding factor.

Anthony

;) "The Arrival Of Baby Harry" -- no joke, that's what just came on my music player.

At least Star Trek isn't considered "For Children".

No, it's for perpetual virgins.

Ray Barnsbury

That is so not true. :roll:

It's a joke, dude (just as ridiculous as the one I quoted). Are you just bitter that Ster Trek is losing? It's really not that big a deal.

Actually I'm somewhat pleased with how many votes Trek has gotten, considering JWFan is basically a PotterFan Message Board in disguise. :eek:

Justin - Who doubts a 20 page "Harry Potter Quote Thread" could be created by basically 5 members. LOL

It's a joke, dude (just as ridiculous as the one I quoted).  Are you just bitter that Ster Trek is losing?  It's really not that big a deal. :spiny:  

Ray Barnsbury

LOL

I know it was, I was just being a pain in the ass. :P:eek:

I'm interested to know how many Potter fans have actually seen Star Trek?

I am a fan of both. Have weighed both equally and come to the conclusion that Star Trek is better. As opposed to basing my entire opinion on a single photograph.

In short. Bite me, Sturgis. :thumbup:

Justin - :roll:

Trek. Though that may change when I finish watching all the films. I have left to see again the films of the films I didn't like (I,X), the films I don't remember (V,VII) and the films I never saw (III,IX). They might lower the average enough for me to choose Potter (Though probably not- I love Treks II, IV & VI, liked VIII and liked the little I saw of III to date)