Star Wars: Original Trilogy Music Resource

robthehand

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think its just part of the insert, basically, a result of the insert being inserted slightly differently in the film than on the expanded release, you can hear it on one of the earlier expanded releases I think (and in the ESB Radio Drama)

Hope that makes sense....

The Special Edition has both the Original and Revised insert in the same track. the radio drama has a clean ending for the insert.

The film version (insert) is the love theme, where the original is non-thematic "dissonance".

Well, I'm confused because I don't hear the love theme

The love theme comes earlier, that part is the very end of the insert.

From 2:17 to 3:05 in that video you posted above is the insert.

The part I'm talking about is from 3:00 to 3:06, which I don't believe is present on any album.

Lets see.

Not on the SE, because the insert was edited in (crossfaded) differently for listening experience.

Not on the Anthology for the same reason.

• 5 months later...

So, here is a listing of all the unused music in the SW film, taken from the SW Comprehensive Reference FSM Article by Michael Mattesino and simplified:

Unused SW music:

Dune Sea of Tatooine - BEGINNING

Destruction of Alderaan - ENDING

Dianoga - ENTIRELY DROPPED

The Trash Compactor - BEGINNING

Unused ESB music:

The Imperial Probe (Original) - OPENING SECTION (REPLACED), ECHO BASE SECTION (RESCORED WITH UNUSED INSERTS), ENDING

The Wampa's Lair etc. - DROID MOTIF REMOVED, HOTH BLIZZARD MOTIF REMOVED, SNOWSPEEDER SECTION (REPLACED) WOULD HAVE ENDED OVER OUTTAKE FOOTAGE.

Aboard the Executor - BEGINNING

Imperial Walkers - BEGINNING

Luke's Nocturnal Visitor - BEGINNING (REVISED)

Mynock Cave - BEGINNING

Training of a Jedi Knight - ENTIRELY DROPPED

The Magic Tree - ENDING (OOT ONLY)

Imperial Starfleet Deployed - BEGINNING AND ENDING

City in the Clouds - BEGINNING AND ENDING

Carbon Freeze - DROPPED MIDDLE (REVISED)

Darth Vader's Trap - DROPPED DUEL MUSIC, SHORTENED LOVE THEME (OOT ONLY)

Unused ROTJ music:

Tatooine Rendevouz - OPENING DELETED ALONG WITH FOOTAGE, END

Bounty for a Wookie - BEGINNING (REPLACED)

Luke Confronts Jabba - END

Den of the Rancor - BARS DELETED ALONG WITH FOOTAGE

Sail Barge Assault - BEGINNING, REORGANIZED

The Emperor Arrives - SECTIONS REVISED WITH INSERTS, ENDING TRACKED OVER

The Death of Yoda - BEGINNING TRACKED OVER,

Obi-Wan's Revelation - BEGINNING

Shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor - REVISED

Land of the Ewoks - REVISED, WICKET MUSIC DROPPED

Father and Son - ENDING, TRACKED OVER

Scout Walker Scramble - SWEETENER ON SE

The Lightsaber - ENDING, TRACKED OVER

Leia Is Wounded - OPENING, TRACKED OVER, SWEETENER ON SE

The Main Reactor - OPENING, TRACKED OVER

Leia's News - REVISED

Light of the Force - REVISED

Ewok Celebration - REVISED

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I am working on a film edit of Return of the Jedi. I have finished film edits (to the best of my meager ability and given the incomplete nature of Eps II-III) for the other 5 films.

I KNOW THAT THE FILM EDITS ARE AWFUL!! THEY CHOP UP WILLIAMS' MUSIC!! THEY TRACK ALL OVER THE PLACE!!

I appreciate the beauty of Williams' original arrangements, but personally enjoy listening to the music as presented in the film no matter how hacked up it is. I enjoy reliving the movie as I listen. So please no lectures about how the film edits suck.

I just finished the Tatooine section, but there were a couple of pieces of music that eluded me, either because they were so insignificant (a few notes) or murky that I could not identify them.

In "Bounty for a Wookiee", I could not locate the new beginning (c. 13:56-14:11 in the non-Special Edition version of the film). I think I read that this was an insert. Is this insert on another track (I am primarily using the ABC Salvage edition, but have the SE and Anthology as well)? If not, is it available elsewhere?

The other problem spot was the music in and around the "Han Solo and the Princess" leitmotiv in "Han Solo Returns." The music in the track features strings on melody, whereas the film uses woodwinds. I think this is the version from "Leia's News", but I am not sure. Also, I could not identify the string vibrato or the two descending notes on either side of the motiv leading into Jabba's reveal. This all takes place about 19:25-19:47 in the non-Special Edition.

If anyone cares, I reconstructed the remainder of the cue (the part that replaced the "Jabba the Hutt" concert or more jaunty Jabba motiv) with music from "Luke Confronts Jabba", "The Dark Side Beckons", and the clean ending from the anthology version (preserved in ABC Salvage) of "Den of the Rancor".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bounty for a Wookiee doesn't have an insert. I don't remember the film opening being any different, interesting. I can't check the film right now to see what it is tracked from.

Check out the end of Land of the Ewok for the Han Solo Returns insert

The beginning of "Bounty for a Wookiee" in the film was tracked from "Father and Son," I believe. The first 40-45 seconds of the track wasn't used in the film. The part leading to the Jabba reveal is from "Land of the Ewoks" as mentioned above. The actual reveal of Jabba was tracked from "Luke Confronts Jabba."

Yeah, the score in the film was all over the place. Wait until you get to the Battle of Endor. Lots of loops and tracking. There's an unreleased insert in there. You can find it clean in the rear channels of the DVD/Blu-ray, but the quality is awful.

The reveal of Jabba wasn't tracked from Luke Confronts Jabba; they stuck the "Jabba More Sinister" insert for Han Solo Returns inside that track just as a place to put it. All the ROTJ inserts kinda show up in weird places in the 1997 set.

Yeah, I was using the track name from the SE so he or she knew where to find it. I believe a good portion of the film version of "Luke Confronts Jabba" was tracked from "Final Duel."

Thanks for the prompt reply!

This is the second or third time I've tried this, the first time about 17 years ago using vhs tapes and cassettes, but I believe I just said, "close enough" for some of the tracks that I couldn't find a note or two. So I know ALL about the Battle of Endor. I'll be back if I have any more questions. I was using the SE titles as a lingua franca. I am male, by the way.

I am male, by the way.

?

Yeah, I was using the track name from the SE so he or she knew where to find it. I believe a good portion of the film version of "Luke Confronts Jabba" was tracked from "Final Duel."

Thank you to thx99 for clarifying the context of my comment. I put in the sections from "Father and Son" and "Land of the Ewoks" (I had forgotten that terrible insert from before. It's been a while since I've listened to the SE soundtrack). I still couldn't find the string vibrato that plays right before the "Land of the Ewoks" insert. I may just do a film rip to mp3 (I've never learned how to do channels on DVD), since there is no dialogue or sound effects over it.

On the one hand I am glad Matessino sprinkled the ROTJ inserts throughout the 2CD set so we actually have them instead of them still being unreleased. But on the other hand its yet another reason we really, REALLY need a DEFINITIVE 2CD (3CD?) set made that contains EVERYTHING, in the best sound possible, to the standard the specialty labels have set and followed in the past 5-10 years.

What does LLL have to do with Star Wars scores? Fox, Disney, and Sony own those rights.

Thank you to thx99 for clarifying the context of my comment. I put in the sections from "Father and Son" and "Land of the Ewoks" (I had forgotten that terrible insert from before. It's been a while since I've listened to the SE soundtrack). I still couldn't find the string vibrato that plays right before the "Land of the Ewoks" insert. I may just do a film rip to mp3 (I've never learned how to do channels on DVD), since there is no dialogue or sound effects over it.

Can you provide exact times of this?

Can you provide exact times of this?

Using the non-Special edition, at about 19:25-19:26. It is right after Han says, "Who are you?" (which is part of "Han Solo Returns") and just before Leia says, "Some one who loves you", which leads to the "Han Solo and the Princess" motiv used in "Land of the Ewoks".