Star Wars: Original Trilogy Music Resource

robthehand

Vosk,

Have you made a film edit of The Imperial March as it's used to introduce the Executor? After listening to my ESB SE in the car over the weekend, I do realize now that piece of music would need inserted into the middle of "The Imperial Probe/Aboard the Executor." That would force much of that awesome cue to be omitted or removed entirely. I think I may be able to make a cut around the ~1:50 mark and stick a shortened version of T.Imp.M. there, if I knew which last note to put at the end of the film version of that cue. Then it would play the rest of the SE track as an alternate, before going into the rest of the underscore as Vader changes course to Hoth. The concert piece in its entirety is much too long to put there, so I may be content to have the film edit play out when I listen to the Anthology.

That is merely your humble opinion, my friend. Since I will find no help here, I will ask no more.

How dramatic. I genuinely sympathize with you.

If you really want to get the last word on the Star Wars SE albums, I suggest subscribing to FSMOnline and going to the back issue archive. Volume 2, Number 1 from 1997 has articles by Michael Matessino detailing the creation of these albums.

Neil

What a great read, thanks for mentioning this--a year and a half ago---Neil!

Vosk,

Have you made a film edit of The Imperial March as it's used to introduce the Executor? After listening to my ESB SE in the car over the weekend, I do realize now that piece of music would need inserted into the middle of "The Imperial Probe/Aboard the Executor." That would force much of that awesome cue to be omitted or removed entirely. I think I may be able to make a cut around the ~1:50 mark and stick a shortened version of T.Imp.M. there, if I knew which last note to put at the end of the film version of that cue. Then it would play the rest of the SE track as an alternate, before going into the rest of the underscore as Vader changes course to Hoth. The concert piece in its entirety is much too long to put there, so I may be content to have the film edit play out when I listen to the Anthology.

Darth, I have made a film edit of that sequence for my ESB collection. I like it, although I agree the intended cue is superior. I removed everything in the track up to the beat where the cue begins in the film, and then put eighty or so seconds of The Imperial March in there. I removed The Imperial Probe completely, as I wanted to put that into a film version of the Main Title/The Imperial Probe (or The Ice Planet Hoth if you prefer).

11. RESCUE FROM CLOUD CITY/HYPERSPACE

SE Disc 2 Track 11 (0:00-5:05)

+ Anthology Disc 4 (5:06-end)

mix (on last chord): Anthology Disc 2 Track 18

What track am I supposed to use on this?

Don't forget:

there's an alternate Carbon Freeze segment (2:39-3:21), which you can edit out of the cue, and use to make an alternate Carbon Freeze cue, replacing the segment at 3:21 - 4:00, which is the correspondent film version segment.

I know im changing the subject, but didn't want to start a new thread for it. Is it me or does the music from Episodes IV V IV sound their best on the Musical Journey DVD? The peice thats most impressive is probably "The Imperial March", it sounds fantastic!

Also the other peice that striked me the most was the presentation of Light Of The Force near the end of the video. It sounds so superior to the Special Edition versions and the Anthology (well only a bit better than the Anthology)

Does anyone else agree?

I know im changing the subject, but didn't want to start a new thread for it. Is it me or does the music from Episodes IV V IV sound their best on the Musical Journey DVD? The peice thats most impressive is probably "The Imperial March", it sounds fantastic!

Also the other peice that striked me the most was the presentation of Light Of The Force near the end of the video. It sounds so superior to the Special Edition versions and the Anthology (well only a bit better than the Anthology)

Does anyone else agree?

Yes I absoluetly agree with that.. one day I have to rip those from the DVD

I posted this somewhere else but I can't remember where: Does anyone have the edit of "The Rebel Fleet/End Title" from X-WING VS TIE FIGHTER? It's where the end of "The Rebel Fleet" segues into the last part of "End Title."

Ok, that's Redbook audio. That's easy. I remember listening to the music from Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight often before getting the SE soundtracks for the wealth of new material that it used, even though it was cut up and reordered like mad. I'll look into it.

I'll try again tonight, Charlie. I didn't turn on my computer last night so I couldn't skim through the disc's audio as quickly, but I did sample the tracks by popping disc 1 of XWvTF into my CD walkman. What you seek might be in the ~28 minute long track 2 or 3, because the remaining shorter tracks didn't seem to be what you wanted. I could be wrong, though.

Has the music in ROTJ where Luke swings for the Emperor and Vader blocks him ever actually been released? The SE track six leads up to this, but the final sting is very different. Or could it be tracked from somewhere else?

Has the music in ROTJ where Luke swings for the Emperor and Vader blocks him ever actually been released? The SE track six leads up to this, but the final sting is very different. Or could it be tracked from somewhere else?

That part's tracked from the duel, right before Luke tosses his saber away.

• 1 month later...

why in Empire Strikes Back is the Music Stereo image is flipped and the Cellos and Double Bass are on the Left?

I was listening to it the other day (Carbon Freeze Scene) when Han has been frozen and you hear that dark ostinato on the Low end strings.

why in Empire Strikes Back is the Music Stereo image is flipped and the Cellos and Double Bass are on the Left?

I was listening to it the other day (Carbon Freeze Scene) when Han has been frozen and you hear that dark ostinato on the Low end strings.

anthology or RCA?

one of the two has inverted channels.

anthology or RCA?

one of the two has inverted channels.

sorry i forgot to mention, it is the Anthology, was sooo shocked that i hadent noticed it before, but im playing it on a new hi fi, was testing it last weekend

Okay, so it's no secret that the 2 disc release of Return of the Jedi sounds like garbage, and the Anthology release sounds SIGNIFICANTLY better. So, seeing as I'm extremely lazy but have both releases, can someone point me in the direction of a guide which allows me to combine the two releases into one in order to get the best possible audio presentation of the overall score? Ie, which tracks from the 2-cd set to replace with tracks from the Anthology release, and which to keep, which are alternates, etc. I assume there's a guide out there to help with this, but I couldn't find anything.
I got discouraged with this. There are so many alternative cues buried in the body of the score and random problems (e.g. film version of "Ewok Celebration" attached to Empire end titles on the Anthology) that it's impossible to smoothly edit a proper representation of the score.

It took me some work, but I think I got a satisfying edit out of it - including that Ewok Celebration edit. I like the fact that with this score, you can fill an entire CD with alternates - and create a sort of alternate 'OST album' of your own.

Here's my tracklist:

CD 1

01. 20th Century Fox Fanfare

02. Main Title / Approaching the Death Star / Tatooine Rendezvous 9.17

03. Jabba's Baroque Recital 3.03

04. The Droids Are Captured 1.17

05. Lapti Nek (Album Version) 2.50

06. Bounty for a Wookiee 2.50

07. Han Solo Returns / At the Court of Jabba the Hutt (Film Version) 4.02

08. Luke Confronts Jabba / Den of the Rancor / Sarlacc Sentence 8.11

09. The Pit of Carkoon / Sail Barge Assault (Film Version) 6.01

10. The Emperor Arrives (Alternate) 2.07

11. The Death fo Yoda / Obi-Wan's Revelation 8.57

12. Alliance Assembly 2.12

13. Shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor 4.12

14. Speeder Bike Chase / Land of the Ewoks 9.39

15. Ewok Feast / The Levitation / Part of the Tribe 6.34

CD 2

01. Brother and Sister 3.10

02. Father and Son / The Fleet Enters Hyperspace 5.27

03. Heroic Ewok 2.11

04. The Emperor's Throne Room 3.29

05. The Battle of Endor I 11.52

06. The Lightsaber / The Ewok Battle 3.47

07. The Battle of Endor II 10.07

08. The Battle of Endor III 6.06

09. Leia's News / Light of the Force (Film Version) 2.29

10. Ewok Celebration (Film Version) / End Title 7.57

Alternates album:

01. Main Title / Approaching the Death Star 5.22 [Nothing alternate here, just opening the CD]

02. Lapti Nek (Full Version) 5.26

03. Lapti Nek (Instrumental) 6.51

04. Jedi Rocks 2.46

05. At the Court of Jabba the Hutt (Concert Version) 1.22 [This is only the partial suite, of course]

06. At the Court of Jabba the Hutt (Alternate) 1.16

07. Sail Barge Assault (Alternate) 1.16

08. The Emperor Arrives (Film Version) 2.03

09. Parade of the Ewoks 3.27

10. Luke and Leia 4.47

11. The Forest Battle (Concert Suite) 4.04

12. The Emperor's Death (Album Version) 2.45

13. Leia's News / Light of the Force (Alternate) 2.21 [i think I had to swap the cues to get each of the alternates together and each of the film versions together, the latter of which I preferred]

14. Victory Celebration 2.26

15. Ewok Celebration (Album Version) / End Title 7.58

I used the Anthology wherever possible for its sound quality, but you need to do a lot of edits of course for that. I didn't keep a detailed editing guide, but this should be more than enough to figure it all out.

Awesome work, Fommes! That's pretty near to mine, although I left a couple of things off to put it down to two CDs.:

Disc One

1. Twentieth Century Fox Fanfare

2. Main Title/Approaching The Death Star

3. The Droids - Jabba’s Palace

4. The Droids Are Captured

5. Bounty For A Wookiee

6. Han Solo Returns

7. Luke Confronts Jabba/Den Of The Rancor

8. The Pit of Carkoon/Sail Barge Assault

9. The Emperor Arrives

10. The Death of Yoda

11. Your Twin Sister

12. Alliance Assembly

13. Faking The Code

14. Speeder Bike Chase/Land of the Ewoks

15. The Levitation/Threepio’s Bedtime Story

Bonus Tracks

16. Lapti Nek (Source)

17. The Max Rebo Band (Source)

18. Jabba’s Baroque Recital (Source)

19. Ewok Feast/Part of the Tribe (Source)

20. The Return of the Jedi (Alternate)

21. The Emperor Arrives (Film Version)

22. Vader Communicates/The Lightsaber (Unused)

23. Obi-Wan’s Revelation (Unused)

Disc Two

1. Brother and Sister

2. Father and Son/The Fleet Enters Hyperspace

3. Heroic Ewok

4. The Emperor Confronts Luke

5. Into The Trap

6. Endor Capture

7. First Ewok Battle/Fight With The Fighters

8. The Lightsaber

9. The Ewok Battle

10. Leia Is Wounded/Vader and Luke Duel

11. Capturing the Bunker/Final Duel/Into The Death Star

12. The Emperor’s Death

13. Superstructure Chase/Darth Vader’s Death

14. Through The Flames

15. Leia Breaks The News

16. Funeral Pyre For A Jedi

17. Ewok Celebration/End Title

Bonus Tracks

18. Leia Breaks The News (Alternate)

19. Funeral Pyre For A Jedi (Alternate)

20. The Forest Battle (Concert Suite)

21. Luke and Leia (Concert Suite)

22. Jabba The Hutt (Concert Suite)

23. Victory Celebration (Special Edition)

24. Through The Flames (Film Version)

25. Finale (Gerhardt)

Yeah, fommes, that is a pretty great tracklisting.

I managed to fit everything onto 2 discs too and I did a bit of "remastering" for the cues. Basically made them a bit more brighter than before and it worked out for the most part and it does sound a lot better, at least to me. I too used the Anthology cues where ever I could.

DISC ONE

01. 20th Century Fox Fanfare

02. Main Title / Vader's Arrival

03. Tatooine Rendezvous

04. The Droids Are Captured

05. Bounty For A Wookiee

06. Han Solo Returns

07. Luke Confronts Jabba / Fight In The Dungeon / Sarlaac Sentence

08. The Pit Of Carkoon

09. Sail Barge Assault

10. The Emperor Arrives

11. Death Of Yoda / Obi-Wan's Revelation

12. Alliance Assembly

13. Faking The Code

14. Speeder Bike Chase / Land Of The Ewoks

15. The Levitation

16. Threepio's Bedtime Story

17. Brother and Sister

18. Father and Son / Fleet Enters Hyperspace

19. Heroic Ewok

20. The Emperor Confronts Luke

DISC TWO

01. The Battle Of Endor I

02. The Lightsaber / The Ewok Battle

03. The Battle Of Endor II

04. The Battle Of Endor III

05. Leia's News / Light Of The Force

06. Ewok Celebration / End Credits

07. Jabba's Baroque Recital (Source)

08. Jedi Rocks (Source)

09. Lapti Nek (Source)

10. Sail Barge Assault (Alternate)

11. The Emperor Arrives (Alternate Excerpt)

12. Parade Of The Ewoks (Concert Suite)

13. Ewok Feast / Part Of The Tribe (Source)

14. Luke and Leia (Concert Suite)

15. The Forest Battle (Concert Suite)

16. Leia's News / Light Of The Force (Alternate) - both cues are the alternates

17. Ewok Celebration (Alternate)

18. Victory Celebration (Special Edition)

• 1 month later...

It only existed in the Movie and was never on any of the soundtracks. It just very badly edits back to the opening bars of 'The Imperial March'.

I do like the idea of that ostinato repeating instead of the Special Edition version where theres a big Flurish of 'Darth Vader's Theme'.

It only existed in the Movie and was never on any of the soundtracks. It just very badly edits back to the opening bars of 'The Imperial March'.

I do like the idea of that ostinato repeating instead of the Special Edition version where theres a big Flurish of 'Darth Vader's Theme'.

Yeah, I actually prefer that Imperial March repeat over the SE ending. I suppose I can't get enough of "The Imperial March". :pukeface:

Oh well, guess I'll have to rip the 2.0 audio from the original version of ESB and edit it with "Yoda and the Force" from the OST myself.

Yeah, I actually prefer that Imperial March repeat over the SE ending. I suppose I can't get enough of "The Imperial March". :rolleyes:

Oh well, guess I'll have to rip the 2.0 audio from the original version of ESB and edit it with "Yoda and the Force" from the OST myself.

im the same, just cant get enough of 'The Imperial March' :)

im the same, just cant get enough of 'The Imperial March' ;)

Well, I would expect nothing less from a member named aj vader. :)

lol yes, its only fortunate that my favourite peice of music is for my favourite fictional character ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'm so sorry to ask a question that surely must've been answered repeatedly over the course of this thread, but...do we have a list of all available clean openings/endings for the cues? I'm talking about openings and endings that were edited in the SE release but can be found elsewhere in other releases or games or whatever. I'd really appreciate the info, if anyone could help me out, particularly where ESB is concerned. =)

Thanks! Now, I remember back in the good old days, when the FTP was up, but my link for that no longer works, and I haven't participated in these threads for some time...is there still some way for someone who only owns the SEs to get their hands on those files, preferably in a lossless format? I'm trying to put together my edit of ESB. Thanks so much for the info!