Star Wars: Original Trilogy Music Resource

robthehand

By the way the Anthology doesn't have every cue with a clean opening or ending and it's worth owning even for collector's purposes. The mixes for the Anthology set are much more natural than the S.E.'s.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys!

Is there a list of which track from the '97 SE was actually on the anthology (and vice-versa)?

It's kinda hard to compare the two since they renamed and re-edited the tracks for the SEs.

Thanx!

• 4 weeks later...

I am soon going to make my own edit of RETURN OF THE JEDI based closely on the wonderful list provided on the first page of this thread. :mrgreen: I have a question, however. I heard that the 1989 re-recording CD by Charles Gerhardt had a couple interesting tracks. One was apparently the only recording of the concert version of "Jabba The Hutt". The other is apparently a instrumental version of the "Ewok Celebration" music. I have never heard this re-recording CD with these cues, and I was wondering if they were worthy additions to a RETURN OF THE JEDI set edit, if only as bonus tracks. Or do people generally dismiss them since they aren't conducted by Williams?

Or do people generally dismiss them since they aren't conducted by Williams?

I cannot comment on your other questions, but believe me, people (us JWFans, at the very least) do not dismiss Charles Gerhardt. Ever.

My personal ROTJ tape I made what, 12 years ago now contained the Gerhardt Jabba The Hutt concert arrangement, since the one recorded by Williams at the ROTJ album sessions has still never been completely released.

I quite enjoy all 3 Gerhardt SW re-recordings, especially TESB

EDIT: I think I actually used the Sony Williams Star Wars CD version of Jabba The Hutt, and its tempo was closer to the real thing, and switched to the real thing as soon as I could (the OST contained the second half of the concert arrangement in the "Han Solo Returns" track). Which is funny cause every other track on that CD were played way too slow

I think I actually used the Sony Williams Star Wars CD version of Jabba The Hutt, and its tempo was closer to the real thing, and switched to the real thing as soon as I could (the OST contained the second half of the concert arrangement in the "Han Solo Returns" track). Which is funny cause every other track on that CD were played way too slow

Of course, I actually have the Sony Williams conducts Williams Star Wars CD that features the Jabba the Hutt track! lol. I totally forgot about that recording of it. I also was able to now hear the Gerhardt version, and it sounds good, too. But you think the Sony CD has the better version? Hmm... this will be hard to decide for me. I don't really want to include both. I guess it's just a matter of preference.

I used both Gerhardt's Jabba the Hutt and Finale (Ewok Celebration) on my edit.

I also got to listen to the Gerhardt Ewok Celebration track. It's quite a bit different in style than the film or alternate JW versions, but it's also quite unique and like it! I'll definitely include this one on my set at least. I'm surprised no other rerecording has attempted this version.

But you think the Sony CD has the better version? Hmm...

I didn't say I thought that now, I said I thought that 12 years ago when I made my cassette tape complete score edits :lol:

I haven't revisited OT stuff in a looong time

But you think the Sony CD has the better version? Hmm...

I didn't say I thought that now, I said I thought that 12 years ago when I made my cassette tape complete score edits ;)

I haven't revisited OT stuff in a looong time

What?! If you haven't revisited the OT in a "loooong time" then why oh why are you giving me information and advice?! You know... you should just stick with the Indiana Jones trilogy, you hack!

... oh I'm just kidding! :lol: I'm just going to decide myself on this one. Apparently Paleo told me that Boston Pops did a rendition of the Jabba the Hutt concert version as well. Have to give that a listen, too.

And since we are on the subject of ROTJ, how many of you include the "Special Edition" tracks on your edit? Like the SE version of the Finale (replacing the nostalgic and wonderful Ewok Celebration- how could they!) and the ever-painful "Jedi Rocks", which is far worse than Lapti Nek.

The Ewok Celebration may be nostalgic, but it's really lame. I use the SE finale. Then again, I almost always leave non-score cues off my edits, with the Cantina Band being a notable exception.

The Ewok Celebration may be nostalgic, but it's really lame. I use the SE finale. Then again, I almost always leave non-score cues off my edits, with the Cantina Band being a notable exception.

Do you consider the "Ewok Celebration" a non-score cue?

It's impossible for it to be a non-score cue, at least on the film version, because those certainly aren't ewoks singing.

I put the SE Finale without the end credits just before the Gerhardt cues.

It's impossible for it to be a non-score cue, at least on the film version, because those certainly aren't ewoks singing.

I put the SE Finale without the end credits just before the Gerhardt cues.

Exactly. And it is not even source music.

It's impossible on all counts. The ending of every version introduces choir and orchestra.

I always considered it a source cue because I assumed the Ewoks are singing. Although if it isn't a source cue... well, I still leave it out 'cause it sucks. So there.

I know that the master's for ROTJ were reported lost a while ago and so some cues have never been released, but I was wandering if any one had a complete, clean, good quality rip from somewhere of the missing Max Rebo Court Music that plays on Jabba's sail barge?

Also, does anyone know who edited the music for ROTJ? Because whilst trying to recreate the isolated score I've been listening along to the film and some of the edits are APPALLING! I mean absolutely shocking. Like when Darth Vader's shuttle arrives at the beginning, as soon as it lands in the hangar the music switches to the Imperial March motif and that edit is shocking, it's not even the correct timings! I could do a better job with my eyes closed. And there are so many more too. Just wandering who I should blame...

Yea thought it was him. But I mean honestly, he shouldn't be allowed to edit anything. The actual indivdual edits of the prequel trilogy are marginally better but the decisions behind them are completely rubbish.

Any news on the missing track?

• 10 months later...

Well I'll be damned

Now if only Lucasfilm would hire Matessino and Redman to release new 2CD sets with everything edited properly and with improved sound quality...

Well regardless of the availability of that cue, I still think the OT is ready to be re-released in properly produced sets

StarWars.com just made available a portion of the sail barge source cue.

Click "Music: Max Rebo Band", or just hit "I" on your keyboard.

Nice find! One can actually wonder if LFL is finally unearthing things from their archives...

Oh, and that Soundboard thing on SW.com is fun: now I can finally hear Vader's "Nnnnooooooo" clean and loud any time I want! :P

Well, that clip might have just come from the film stems. It's too low in quality to tell.

I'm pretty sure it came form the film stems, it seems to fade out at the same time as in the movie, so probably the masters are still lost.

• 2 months later...

Hey I'm curious about something...has the full concert suite for Jabba ever surfaced on any of the Jedi releases, besides the Gerhardt recording?

We know the tail end of it is on the ROTJ Anthology set but just was wondering about the rest of it.

I've listened to Gerhardt's and the Skywalker one....Gerhart's seems a tad too slow and the Skywalker one seems a bit too fast. All though I guess with Goldwave I can pitch the Skywalker one to seem more natural as far as tempo goes. I'll check out Boston Pops version to see if that's the best one.

I have all three, and while I haven't done a thorough comparison, I do remember the Pops version sounding most like the original, at least part of it.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Fox Fanfare (0:22)

Main Title / Approaching The Death Star (5:18)

Vader Contacts Luke / The Iron Door (2:20?)

Jabba's Harp Source (3:00)

Unused Source Music (not in film) (1:30) - Not In Film

My Favorite Decoration (1:00)

Lapti Nek (2:48)

Lapti Nek (English mix WB 12'' single)?

Lapti Nek (Film Version)?

Fancy Man (Lapti Nek English Version)?

Jabba's Prisoners (2:20)

Jabba's Sail Barge (Source)

Han Solo Returns (4:00)

Han Solo Returns (Film Version) (4:00) - Different Ending

A Strange Visitor (2:30)

Fight In The Dungeon (3:38)

The Sentence (2:00)

The Sarlaac Pit (0:45)

The Return Of The Jedi (4:59)

The Return Of The Jedi (Alternate) (5:03)

The Emperor Arrives (2:05)

The Death Of Yoda (6:03)

Ben and Luke On Log / The Rebel Fleet (2:50)

Battle Plans (2:00)

Faking The Code (4:10)

Jungle Encounter (1:20)

After The Bike Chase (0:50)

Enter The Ewok (2:00)

Parade Of The Ewoks (3:25)

More Trouble / More Ewoks Emerge (4:30)

Ewok Drums (2:25)

Using The Force (1:15)

Bedtime Stories (1:10)

Ewok Drums (2:05)

Brother and Sister (3:08)

Luke and Leia (4:43)

Father and Son (3:30)

Finding an Entrance (0:50)

Fleet Goes Into Hyperspace (1:00)

Heoric Ewok (2:00)

The Emperor Confronts Luke (3:26)

Intro The Trap (2:36)

Rebel Forces Captured (2:00)

First Ewok Battle / Fight With The Fighters (7:18)

The Emperor Provkes Luke (1:00)

The Ewok Battle (2:48)

The Forest Battle (4:01)

Leia Is Wounded / Luke and Vader Duel (2:57)

The Battle Rages (1:00)

Final Duel / Into The Death Star (3:37)

The Emperor's Death (2:41)

Space Battle (2:00)

Darth Vader's Death (2:31)

Through The Flames (1:36)

Leia Breaks The News / Funeral Pyre For A Jedi (2:19)

Leia Breaks The News (Alternate) / Funeral Pyre For A Jedi (Film Version) (2:27)

Ewok Celebration / Finale (7:58)

Ewok Celebration (Film Version) (1:50)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, that clip might have just come from the film stems. It's too low in quality to tell.

I'm pretty sure it came form the film stems, it seems to fade out at the same time as in the movie, so probably the masters are still lost.

actually it doesnt fade out in the movie, it plays on, you can also hear it in From Star Wars to Jedi, somebody made a rip of that and used it for an Isolated Score of Jedi, Which I have