JWFAN Theme free comissioning project #1. Choose the theme!

Jeshopk

OK folks. I've tried time and time again to coordinate the composers of this board to chip in for an orchestra so we could afford it, but to no avail.

But I now have found an agent who will record my music for an affordable price in Bulgaria. Finally, I can afford to record 3 minutes of orchestral music. The perfect length for a new theme.

Now comes the fun part. In this thread, I am taking nominations for the subject of the theme. Ever wanted a new theme for a superhero, book or movie? Ever hate the music for a great movie, and want to hear what another composer would have done?

Whatever garners the most interest is what I'll compose. (But remember, this will not be re-arrangement of Williams themes for those wanting more Star Wars music). This will be an original composition which will be distributed to all JWFAN members for free.

So please, tell me what you want to hear! And you will receive a live orchestral recording of it within a few months! For free!

-Jesse Hopkins

-PS, once I narrow it down, I will post a poll with the most popular subjects.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to hear a real score to Pirates of the Caribbean. Or you could write some different stuff for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (I like Doyle's work but it's always fun to hear someone else's take on the same material).

Seth

If I get enough votes, I'll do a new Pirates of the Carribean Theme. But keep in mind, it does not have to be something that has already had music. Perhaps a popular novel or an imaginary sequel. Anything goes!

Three options for me:

1) Better Pirates of the Caribbean theme

2) Better First Task music for GoF (possibly with the Nimbus 2000 theme in it)

3) If possible, a Voldemort confrontation cue with Fawkes' theme and Window of the Past in it for GoF

3) If possible, a Voldemort confrontation cue with Fawkes' theme and Window of the Past in it for GoF

Pieter. The only rules I have are, no requests for re-arranging other people's themes - so your GoF suggestions are out. Pirates is ahead in the race, it seems, by a long shot. I'll wait until everyone weighs in before I start composing.

Jeshopk,

Suppose Williams and Lucas had agreed to do a new Star Wars Main Title Theme for the Prequels...

Could you write such a piece? It could open the same way as the Main Title from the OT, but instead of Luke's Theme we get a new, powerful, adventerous theme.

Please do that. I've been imagining a piece like that all my life.

Thanks!

It could open the same way as the Main Title from the OT

The only problem with that is, I don't want to arrange anyone elses music. I agree it should start the same way, but then go into a modified version of the Force theme as played at the award ceremony in Episode IV. That way, Episode IV would tie the trilogies together, and thematically, when you heard Ben talking about the Old Republic, you'd hear the "Prequel/Force/Jedi" theme.

I hope SW doesn't get the most votes, because Pirates of the Carribean is also a book, and so it would be less like a fan fiction piece, and more of a stand alone concert piece.

What would be interesting, what with all the King Kong stuff going on, is record a theme for an imaginary Kong sequel or remake. It's always interesting to hear someone's take on a monster movie. Maybe with a '30s feel? I would suggest blending a terrifying theme with a love story theme. All of the composers so far have done a full-fledged love theme, but I never thought it really quite fit, no matter how good it sounded. Perhaps you could do a harsher love theme? Something that still has beauty, but a bit of primitiveness in it?

I guess that's a little vague, but I strongly recommend that. It'd give you a chance to flex your artistic muscles, tackling two vastly different things in one theme.

Jesse, to be honest, I wouldn't mind hearing something unrelated to a particular film. Maybe I'm on my own on this one, but why not just compose something you want to compose? Instead of being writting a piece, like "Pirates", or whatever, why not write something that just comes to mind or to heart? I dunno, I suppose I feel you should do what you want, and not necessary tie yourself down to a film or nominated suggestion.

Tim

Jesse, to be honest, I wouldn't mind hearing something unrelated to a particular film. Maybe I'm on my own on this one, but why not just compose something you want to compose? Instead of being writting a piece, like "Pirates", or whatever, why not write something that just comes to mind or to heart? I dunno, I suppose I feel you should do what you want, and not necessary tie yourself down to a film or nominated suggestion.  

Tim

I'll put that on the poll too. I have a lot of music that I have written for myself, but it is usually too long and I'm reluctant to turn any of them into a 3 minute "Theme". Those pieces will soon be on my website, fleshed out on todays synths to the best ability (Including a Symphony and longer Symphonic Movements), with available sheet music. This will all be available for free, including individual parts and conductor's score. The idea is to start getting public performances going.

The idea of this particular thread is to get some public interest going by composing something that has a popular subject, and offering everyone a recording by a real orchestra of something they agreed would be a good subject for a theme. As a fan of film music, I see there were many missed opportunities for good music. And there are many good books and popular characters (kind of modern myths) which do not have good themes. It is both a challenge for me, and also a way to please the masses.

I know that it is more "from the heart" to compose about the way I feel about having a son soon, or something more sentimental. But I have been doing nothing but personal compositions for a while, and it would be nice to do something that would make people take notice, even if it was sort of the musical equivalent of a "fan fiction" subject wise, I promise the composition will be of the highest quality.

How about a theme for JWFan.net? :thumbup:

A la the Dreamworks or Universal logos, albeit a bit longer.

Could make a short and long version

Have you considered turning to theater - as in, Shakespeare for instance. I can't think of a bigger challenge than scoring the storm scene in King Lear, or a quirky scherzo for an adapted "teaching the wife" montage from The Taming of the Shrew. I'd suggest you do a theme for a scene from Hamlet, but how can you not sound like Patrick Doyle? Which also why I wouldn't recommend Romeo and Juliet - it isn't only Prokofiev's shadow that's too large.

And there are many good books and popular characters (kind of modern myths) which do not have good themes.

This is interesting, though I don't know who familiar you are with certain literary works. I would suggest that you consider Beowulf, Peter Pan (silently daring you to rival Williams Hook :thumbup: ), His Dark Materials, Through the Looking Glass.

Tim, thinking of others.

I was thinking the same thing ... without the ;) .

Seriously, this could be a fun challenge. Would the theme revolve around the people and places they come from? Would it be a theme for John Williams? The possibilities are endless!

Do it!

I was thinking the same thing ... without the ;) .

Seriously, this could be a fun challenge. Would the theme revolve around the people and places they come from? Would it be a theme for John Williams? The possibilities are endless!

Do it!

And there could be a dark middle section for when the board was in danger w/o donations!

~Sturgis

All the ideas are good and everything, but I kind of liked my idea...it's a change from the typical scherzos or action music. But, I'd be happy with any of the suggestions. After all, the only thing tha tmatters is the music, not what it's based off of.

Hey guys! This is going great! I want to hear from everyone (all the regulars at least) Stefancos, Neil, Joe, King, where aaaaare you?And then I will tally up all the results if it is obvious, or do a poll for the most popular ideas.

Food for thought: wouldn't the jwfan.net theme just be something by Williams? Perhaps not the best idea for me to do it. Or I could be wrong.

Not unless he wrote one for us like he did for those Japanese folks. Even in that case, we'd be begging someone to orchestrate it. I think a theme for jwfan.net (the site, not John Williams himself) would be great. I don't know much of the history of the site, but I would suggest it contain some of the following:

> a main theme for the site

> themes for prominent members, like...

> Neil's theme, played on romantic strings to end the cue (perhaps the main theme, a la Luke Skywalker in Star Wars)

> Mr. Cosman's theme, dark and brooding normally, but played triumphantly as he saves the day with a last-ditch donation

I think you should do it; it'd be a lot of fun! Plus it would be awkward for a guy to write and conduct a tribute to a tribute to himself.

A JWFan theme would have to be in the style of Williams by its nature. But you've said you don't want to use any actual Williams themes (I agree, there could be legal probems from this). So the challenge would be to sound as close to Williams as possible without crossing the line! Good luck. :)

How about a theme for JWFan.net? :)

I think it is a great idea !

Here is a composition I made this year for the composer competition that didn't occur : http://musicby.jw-music.net/clashclimax.mp3

We can turn it into a 3 minutes cue and make it a theme for JWFan.net

It could open the same way as the Main Title from the OT

The only problem with that is, I don't want to arrange anyone elses music. I agree it should start the same way, but then go into a modified version of the Force theme as played at the award ceremony in Episode IV. That way, Episode IV would tie the trilogies together, and thematically, when you heard Ben talking about the Old Republic, you'd hear the "Prequel/Force/Jedi" theme.

You know i was going to mention you using the Force theme, but since you do not want to reuse material i didnt post.

Why The Force Theme? Episode IV opened with LUKE's THEME and Episode I could open with ANAKIN's THEME (not Ben's theme).

BUT! I'm not refering to the Anakin's Theme from TPM soundtrack! I would really like to hear a NEW, more adventerous, more spirited, more "Star Warsy" theme for the character of Anakin.

Yeah, I'm not going to use any Star Wars themes or anyone else's tunes. The whole point is to make a new memorable concert piece/theme for something that doesn't have a good one. I have a few ideas for Pirates of the Carribean, and Kong would be fun, although the hype might be gone by then and we might be all Konged out.

I just spoke to the agent yesterday and the recording date will soon be set. Some time in January or Febuary, or possibly late December!

Swashbuckling theme would be excellent. Fanfares and rousing Hookish/Korngoldian splendor.

Swashbuckling theme would be excellent. Fanfares and rousing Hookish/Korngoldian splendor.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I'll still leave this open for discussion until I need to start composing.

Alex, Neil, Stefan, KM, .... Where aaaaaaaare youuuu?

Here is a composition I made this year for the composer competition that didn't occur : http://musicby.jw-music.net/clashclimax.mp3

Nice piece! I like the harp and piccolo parts! ROTFLMAO

LOL

Nice try, but I'm not paying to record your music when I am a composer who barely has anything recorded of my own. I like your music, though. You should continue with it.

No offense to Jeshopk but why would we want a theme for the John Williams Fan Network written by someone else? It just doesn't make sense to me.

I agree with Ender, get your inspiration from literature. Shakespeare seems an obvious good choice. Or perhaps a theme for Orwell's 1984 or god forbid Ender's Game.

Justin

No offense to Jeshopk but why would we want a theme for the John Williams Fan Network written by someone else? It just doesn't make sense to me.

It doesn't make sense to me either. I never suggested it.

~Tyler, wondering if "boom-tzzz" is copywritten....

LOL

It was around long before Williams. Kind of a standard staple of military music and marches.

Hopkins, there are other ways to have your music performed and recorded by an orchestra, and it won't cost you a dime. Ever heard of composition contests? They are happening all over the world, all the time.

If you have to pay an orchestra to play your music, it probably isn't worth that much. Just saying.

Jesse, to be honest, I wouldn't mind hearing something unrelated to a particular film.  Maybe I'm on my own on this one, but why not just compose something you want to compose?  Instead of being writting a piece, like "Pirates", or whatever, why not write something that just comes to mind or to heart?  I dunno, I suppose I feel you should do what you want, and not necessary tie yourself down to a film or nominated suggestion.

I agree with the nightscaper.

Ever heard of composition contests? They are happening all over the world, all the time.  

If you have to pay an orchestra to play your music, it probably isn't worth that much. Just saying.

Sorry AI, but composition contests are judged for a certain type of non populist sound. The prologue from Hook or even the theme from Star Wars would NEVER have won any orchestra composition contests in the latter half of the 20th century. And plenty of modern composers pay musicians. It's not a damn dog show.