Jurassic Park vs The Lost World

Damo

Which is a better out of the two John Williams scores?  

81 members have voted

1. 1.

• Jurassic Park is better
    • No, The Lost World is better than the first
    • Both of them are good, so there no really competition

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jurassic Park. But just barely. The Lost World is one of the best action scores ever. The score's pulse is unrelenting. It's amazing how a 70 year old wrote this.

BTW, I finally bought the Jurassic Park DVD today. About time...

Can't decide, like them both. JP is a classic, but The Lost World has an equally inspiring theme and killer action tracks. For me, it's a tie!

The Lost World, in tracks like "Rescuing Sarah" and "The Compys Dine," sounds like an inspired score to me. At no point does Jurassic Park. Sure, the main themes are catchy (though I believe that the "piano" theme is fiercely overrated), but there's no spirit in it. The Lost World sounds like a score that Williams had fun writing (which is impressive, given the film's quality). And I love the drums.

Well I can't vote yet, considering i havent got The Lost World score yet. So this why I started this thread to see depending on the poll results if it worth getting the The Lost World score. I am seeking to get the score. So if anyone here is willing to send me the The Lost World score over the net, please let me know.

It's Williams second to last Masterpiece.

His last Masterpiece was Philosohers Stone, but even that one is not as good as TLW, IMO.

this is not debatable BTW.

Sure it is Stefan, its entirely debateable as to which is better, but its not debatable as to it being one of the last Williams masterpiecs

Well I can't vote yet, considering i havent got The Lost World score yet. So this why I started this thread to see depending on the poll results if it worth getting the The Lost World score. I am seeking to get the score. So if anyone here is willing to send me the The Lost World score over the net, please let me know.

Download it here.

I think the greatest parts of JP are the calmer scenes, like "My Friend, the Brachiosuarus", "Remembering Petticoat Lane" "A Tree For My Bed" and the main theme in general (although the secondary brass fanfare is fantastic also). The action is great, don't get me wrong, but I think the major highlights revolve around the more fluid and tranquil moments.

Tim

It's Williams second to last Masterpiece.

His last Masterpiece was Philosohers Stone, but even that one is not as good as TLW, IMO.

this is not debatable BTW.

Sure it is Stefan, its entirely debateable as to which is better, but its not debatable as to it being one of the last Williams masterpiecs

Well I'm sure you won't debate with yourself. ROTFLMAO

Justin

I have to say JP.

Lost World was my first score and I love it and it is a good successor score for JP but I find the brooding darkness of the score somewhat off putting. I was hoping a thematic development based on JP's themes in the sequel but Williams opted to make LW a complitely new sound. It is good and I love Williams' use of the lower register of the orchestra and the rhythm in the score but in the end I just prefer JP

How can you say any theme is overrated Cerrabore? If many people express they like a theme and you do not that does not make it overrated. Matters of taste, matters of taste.

The Lost World.

Although both are amongst my favorites, and although I initially thought that JP was better when I got TLW and was somewhat shocked when Williams dropped most of JP's themes and flavor and went for something so very much different, darker, and energetic. However, it quickly became one of my favorites and surpassed JP once I got the hang of the action cues. It contains some of my favorite Williams cues of all time; Ludlow's Demise, Visitor In San Diego, The Hunt, The Raptor Attack, Rescuing Sarah... DAMN those are some of my ALL-TIME faves! I love it's energy, anger, power, agressiveness... it's violent, yet controlled chaos percussion.

I noticed that I started loving these percussive action cues after TLW, and that the same kind of action cues seemed to be more featured in the prequels, which is perhaps why I loved those scores so much, especially RotS's.

I'll also note that I love the score to Jaws 2 and only like Jaws. Not the movies, the scores (I thought Jaws 2 was a terrible movie and Jaws was a great one). ALL of the action-heavy, bombast-filled scores are all amongst my faves.

JP. Although I do like TLW quite a bit. A fantastic theme, some kick-ass action music, and some of the funnest action music JW has ever composed. In general, I feel he had a blast scoring it, it's a really fresh score for him (one that inaugriated a lot of his new action sound). I mean, that calypso rythem for the Dinos- who would've thought?

• 1 month later...

I got the soundtrack for The Lost World, from someone here who was willing to share it to me by sending it and I find him thankful because once I burned it on the CD and put it on the best big CD player in my house. I sat down and listened the whole soundtrack.It was so good. The bass was incrediable. I mean I find this score more enjoyable then the first JP score because John Williams made The Lost World a freshly new score with hardly Jurrasic Park themes in it at all. In my personal opinion this score has made my day today. Overall both scores are good.

Damo, are you sure that The Lost World isn't available in Sydney? Don't you have megastores?

I know it's quite hard to find.

But I found it. And realized why the CD case had so many complaints. :)

I changed my disc to a regular jewel case and with some skill with scissors fashioned a perfect CD case with the original covers (i.e. I slashed the card board case to shreads). And I did not regret that bevcause the demise of that card board set was imminent in any case and it would have eventually ruined the CD.

The Lost World score grew on me over the years and now I appreciate a lot more than when I first got it. It has great action set pieces and Williams' action writing has never been more aggressive and pulse pounding. I love the lower register music in the trek cues and the chirping music of the Compys. Visitor in San Diego is the best action cue on the disc. Only thing bothering is the lack of themes on most of the cues. Sure there is the new 4 note Danger motif that is in almost every cue but I feel it is not enough. The new main theme does not receive half as much performances as I would have liked. But those things aside TLW is a great score.

Damo, are you sure that The Lost World isn't available in Sydney? Don't you have megastores?

I know it's quite hard to find.  

But I found it. And realized why the CD case had so many complaints. :)

No. Usually when John Williams soundtracks are available in Sydney or anywhere else in Australia, they become avaliable around when the movie is released. After a few years goes by they stop selling them in any CD stores ...well don't know exactly how long they keep them in stock for.

I have not seen a single copy in any CD store in Finland since 1997. I am glad I got mine then.

The Lost World score grew on me over the years and now I appreciate a lot more than when I first got it.

Im already started to grow on it now. :)

Well I was 14 at the time when I got the score (my first CD ever) and was expecting Jurassic Park themes to be on the score more heavily. The lack of them disappointed at first but my musical tastes and experience has grown since then and now I love TLW score.

Well in my personal opinion I find the themes does get bit boring when the themes are repetitive over and over again. I really find The Lost World more enjoyable then the first Jurassic Park score because its a new fresh score. Isn't The Lost World in track 1 considered to be a new theme?

No. Usually when John Williams soundtracks are available  in Sydney or anywhere else in Australia, they become avaliable around when the movie is released. After a few years goes by they stop selling them in any CD stores ...well don't know exactly how long they keep them in stock for.

Pretty much the same here, that sucks. :)

We have a very small soundtrack section, and what you're sure to find is those crappy songs-compilations sountracks...bah...

when I got the score I was expecting Jurassic Park themes to be on the score more heavily. The lack of them disappointed at first but now I love TLW score.

Same here. The first time I listened to it I was a bit disappointed, since it sounded much like a sequel, but almost like a score for another series. JP is classic, a score you love since the first times, TLW on the contrary need more listenings to be fully appreciated. :)

So I won't vote, since I can't choose a real winner between these two scores.

Well in my personal opinion I find the themes does get bit boring when the themes are repetitive over and over again. I really find The Lost World more enjoyable then the first Jurassic Park score because its a new fresh score. Isn't The Lost World in track 1 considered to be a new theme?

Oh it is a new theme and Williams uses it on 2 other tracks besides. It is tracked a lot more in the film but on the album there is the concert arrangement and Hunt and Malcolm's Journey which has music from 2 different scenes if I remember correctly. So the theme does not receive a lot of variations throught the album.

On the Jurassic Park album the arrangement of the cues is little odd since the end credits are stuck in the middle of the album almost right after the Journey to the Island and there is more repetition. The track titled End Credits just feature the Fanfare as a separate track and is a bit redundant and repetetive. All in all Williams still uses the themes better in JP than in TLW. And they do not get very repetetive if you play the score in chronological order. But that is my opinion.

Of course I understand that the new movie was grittier and darker and did not have the awe of the dinosaurs if not momentarily (hence there is no JP Hymn theme) as the audience knows what the dinos are capable of and there was no need for the heroic Fanfare since the characters generally run and scream and die in TLW. It is harsher score and more brutal. It carries the action and the athmosphere very well. But TLW score is not so prominently thematic

John Williams use a lot of percussions throughout The Lost World soundtrack which i find pretty fascinating to listen to. I just can't stop listening to The Lost World .