The Prophecy versus Prologue: One Ring to Rule Them All.

Which do you prefer?  

25 members have voted

1. 1.

• The Prophecy.
    • Prologue: One Ring to Rule Them All.
    • No real preference one way or the other.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not according to the tracklisting on the back of my box set, Justin.

They actually printed the track list on the back? Damn, I need to get this release.

*Cough....cough*

I hope the Prologue, since I'm not a big fan of The Prophecy.

I think it's a great piece of music.

As pure music it probably plays better then Prologue.

Less of a pastiche or a patchwork of themes set to the films images

Which one is which? "The Prophecy" is from the first version of the film? Correct?

So Steef, did you pick up two, or did you get an extra one for Christmas?

Which one is which?  "The Prophecy" is from the first version of the film?  Correct?

The Prophecy is from an earlier concept of the film's opening that was abandoned and has not been seen by the general public.

Prologue: One Ring to Rule Them All is what was used in the film, the version on the box set beeing the longer version from the extended DVd cut.

So Steef, did you pick up two, or did you get an extra one for Christmas?

I have 2 copies.

And clearly I only need one.

"You want to buy?

I make very good price for you Sahib, special price because you are my friend!"

The one you're selling has the American anti-piracy logo. Did you received that as a gift from an American person (hence the "unfortunatly could not be returned")?

The only CD I have with that logo is the The Terminal OST, which I bought at the Tower Records near the Lincoln Center, in New York City.

Is that important my vote? I never saw any of those movies. I was just curious about the pics I saw on your eBay's page.

If I'm forced to vote, I choose the first one. But only because I prefer short titles. And I like the word "prophecy".

So I won't vote.

I prefer the film version aka Prologue: One Ring to Rule Them All. Longer and so much more powerful not to mention the Prologue gives Shore opporturnity to set up a large amount ot thematic material. Almost like and Overture for the whole trilogy.

The one you're selling has the American anti-piracy logo. Did you received that as a gift from an American person (hence the "unfortunatly could not be returned")?

I bought mine in a store here, and it also has the FBI warning. So I guess every copy has the FBI warning.

I voted for The Prophecy. It's a great great, lyrical piece of music and it would have separated the prologue from the rest of the trilogy. I mean, like others have said before, the current prologue, although having a slightly different orchestration, is more or less "just" a patchwork of themes pulled together from all over Fellowship. Granted, it is like an overture, but I like it when themes get introduced over the course of the entire movie, that makes it surprising (looky at TTT).

Plus, the first 30 seconds of The Prophecy radiate an aura of sadness and reflect the loss of an age of glory. I mean, the History Of The Ring theme does that too, but it has no connection to that age, so I prefer the non- thematic approach.

Did you ever edit The Prophecy, so that it fits with the images of the movie? It's glorious I tell you, and it works brilliantly with the voice- over.

I prefer the film version aka Prologue: One Ring to Rule Them All. Longer and so much more powerful not to mention the Prologue gives Shore opporturnity to set up a large amount ot thematic material. Almost like and Overture for the whole trilogy.

I completely agree.

I bought mine in a store here, and it also has the FBI warning. So I guess every copy has the FBI warning.

Maybe it's American-imported?

What's the point in having the American police logo outside of the U.S.A.?

I know that piracy it's of course illegal everywhere, but I thought the FBI logo was exclusively for the U.S.A.

I like both pieces, but nothing in Prologue is as powerfull as that gigantic choral buildup in The Prophecy.

I like both pieces, but nothing in Prologue is as powerfull as that gigantic choral buildup in The Prophecy.

Indeed. You should try listening to the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra and Chorus play it. I thought I would never hear again. ;)

Justin

"The Prophecy." This is hardly a nonthematic piece. The Ring theme is hinted at at 1:00, and Gollum's theme and the Shire theme also feature. I don't have the new boxed set, but I don't remember "Prologue" being much more than chorus and obvious statements of themes. "Prophecy" does more interesting things with them.

• 1 year later...
"The Prophecy", although I wish it had the History of the Ring theme somewhere at the beginning, like in the Symphony.

It does have the ring theme, right around 0:35, when the choir swells into that bold statement. It's subtle, but it's the ring theme.

It does have the ring theme, right around 0:35, when the choir swells into that bold statement. It's subtle, but it's the ring theme.

:rolleyes:

I meant the more obvious statement over the titles, as it is integrated in the symphony for instance.

Actually the sad face was reflective of the fact that we never got to hear a Williams OotP. I couldn't care less about Snore.

Ray Barnsbury

Definitely the Prologue. The Prophecy has its own advantages to be sure, but the Prologue is just so ... I don't know, fascinating and magnificent piece of music that it's insurpassable in its own way. It's of course but a tip of the iceberg of all the great LotR music which follows it. :)