Best special effects sequence in history

Sandor

Did you guys notice the camera work on WOTW after they escape the city, when they're talking in the car...amazing.

There was a car commercial here in the states a few years ago that did the same thing.

Neil

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens to Belloq and the Nazis after opening the Ark in Raiders of the Lost Ark is pretty good.

But Donovan's death in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade impressed me more than the other one.

I also agree with some of the scenes already mentioned, so it's not necessary to repeat them.

What happens to Belloq and the Nazis after opening the Ark in Raiders of the Lost Ark is pretty good.

But Donovan's death in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade impressed me more than the other one.

The death of Toht was, for me, a 1000 times more memorable than Donovan's death. There was no way to top that "melting"-effect.

You'll all a bunch of "wallys". Truly the best special effect sequence, IMHO, is THE OPENING OF STAR WARS. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it before now.

:|

Donovan's fast death was scary as hell, and very well done.

Toht's death was incredible for a 1981 film IMO.

EDIT: talking about the Last Crusade videogame in another thread, I realize that I played that game short after it was released, so early '90, the era in wich I also played Fate of Atlantis and the first 2 Monkey Island. So yeah, I say Last Crusade for the first time in 1990-91. I was 7-8 years old.

That's absurd...talking about Indy being full of CGI's effects, when Donovan's death is one of the rare (if not the unique) examples.

When I said in a thread some time ago "I (and Lucas) don't want any CGI in Indy IV", I meant I don't want a movie full of computer's effects.

I think that Indy IV, for be great and succesfull, must look like the other three, it must keep the classic " '80 look" we all know and love.

Of course they need more make-up fo Harrison Ford, and more stuntmen for him, but I don't want to see a CGI's effect in every damn scene. Gimme the whip, the hat, the leather jacket, and everything's gonna be alright. :|

One of my favorite FX scenes is the turning of the mothership in Close Encounters (for you younsters, that's a Spielberg movie)  

----------------

Alex Cremers

Alex and I don't always agree, but this time we do

close2.jpg

I don't know about one BEST one, but here are some of the best IMO:

-T-Rex attacking the car (JP)

-The escape from the city (WotW)

-T-rex vs. Kong fight (Kong)

And a bunch of others.

~Sturgis

So Connery didn't shot at his own plane for real? :|

That's a shoker, I always though they used real bullets with real machine guns with real planes, and that the *SPOILERS* the plane really fell down! :)

And he really was Harrison Ford's father. He had sex when he was 12.

LOL

And they really shot him and he was really saved by the holy water. That was an hell of a effect!

Some of the most convincing CGI work I've ever seen was in Black Hawk Down. I didn't realize how extensive the use of CGI was until I watched the special features. They are very well hidden in the film, IMO.

Also Terminator 2: Judgement Day had great effects that still stand the test of time.