Hi Im new here :)

veggiemusician

After the last few years of browsing I finally joined up :| Just a little about myself... Im a pro classical musician freelancing with orchestra's in UK and Im an oboist. Ive been taught by oboists who have played on John Williams sound tracks... John Anderson-AI, Michael Winfield(cor anglais) StarWars, Roy Carter Principal oboist LSO.

Oh Im a big JW fan so hope to have fun with you lot in future ;)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome - finally an interesting member. We should get rid of some of the most useless ones to make enough room for you.

Agreed. Wait...I might be one of those useless ones!

What's a cor anglais?

English Horn.

Right? :|

Correct. The standard oboe is a C instrument, the cor anglais is the french term for the English Horn, which is an F oboe (pitched lower then its cousin). You can hear it in the famous solo in the 2nd movement of Dvorak's 9th symphony.

Tim

Im from manchester dude.. you?

Its really intresting listening JW scores with oboe... I can mostly at once tell where the oboist comes from.

listen to AI, and starwars scores - very british sound.

But Munich sounds more american to me. Ive got no idea which orchestra it was recorded with so might be shooting mysefl in the foot here hehe.

What's a cor anglais?

English Horn.

Right? :)

Correct. The standard oboe is a C instrument, the cor anglais is the french term for the English Horn, which is an F oboe (pitched lower then its cousin). You can hear it in the famous solo in the 2nd movement of Dvorak's 9th symphony.

Tim

Although it's neither English, nor a horn. My guess is that it was originally called the Cor Angle, or angled horn, on account of the angled mouthpiece. Still doesn't explain the Cor part though. Maybe it was originally the Cor Blimey.

Welcome Prospective Member!

Thank you for applying to JWFan.net, your credentials are very impressive. I've reviewed your application and we will certainly keep it on file. Unfortunately, we really don't have any positions open at this time. Give us a call in about 3-4 months at 1-888-JWFANET. We may have a position open by then. In the mean time I'd love to give a healthy reference to the HornerShriners for you. It's the least I could do. Again, thanks for your application and sorry for not being able to do further business with you.

Justin Ross,

Development and Research Technician For Improved Relations With The Outside World.