James Horner's The New World

Sandor

I read the soundtrack review over at Soundtrack.net and it seems interesting to me.

I also read the film review on Aintitcoolnews and Harry Knowles says the following about the score:

James Horner turns in his best score in ages. It is his first score that doesn’t sound like his score. It is quite abstract and stirring. There’s moments during montages of nature where it builds to impossible levels before the ecstasy of calm. Really can’t say enough about it. A great score.

Has anyone heard it already? Any comments would be appreciated.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Knowles doesn't really understand most of the things he talks about, so I'd automatically discount what he says. I hope it's a good score, though, because I like Horner. I know he only repeats himself, but if you consider all of his totally unrelated scores as sequels are part of one giant score, they're actually quite pleasant. :P

Based on the scope of the movie and the name behind the music, it's bound to be an Oscar nominee. But I'm still not interested in seeing this movie. Terrence Malick conned me out of almost three hours of my life seven years ago, and I don't want to make the same mistake.

I can't wait to see this film and hear this score. The Thin Red Line did wonders for Zimmer's creativity. I hope Malick's powerful style has had a similar rejuvenating and stimulating effect on Horner's output.

CYPHER

Horner always has long albums, generaly 70 something minutes. He likes to present the score as a symphony.

Aren't symphonies supposed to have a structure within? :)

Horner seems to want to beat Zimmer's Crimson Tide on every other occasion with the track times. ;)

Aren't symphonies supposed to have a structure within?  :)

Horner scores are probably the most consistantly structured ones in modern film music. He builds his themes, has a begining, middle and end, develops ideas, climaxes them.

Okay, depends off each individual score album.

Braveheart – definitely not a symphonic structure, not even close to that. The climax for the main theme comes in the middle of the score, and some ideas hinted at at the early parts never get really developed until very end.

Legends of the Fall – perhaps as close as it gets, but again, main idea gets to the heartbreaking rendition quite too early on.

Willow – this one would work as a symphonic poem rather than standalone symphony, but again the themes are not well developed to keep the listener in tension. Absolution comes too soon.

Titanic – the first half of the album starts promisingly well, delivering proper amount of hints at all the themes, but after it gets past the first half it gets a bit lost and ideas are presented out of order. It wouldn't work.

Land Before Time – leave the song in the middle out and I have no complaint here. A perfect presentation of ideas, well structured. Shame this close cousin to Willow never got the attention it would deserve.

I haven't heard Glory outside the movie. How does it work on album?

Wow, it's a long album.  It basically pushes the boundries of the CD time limits.

Tim, who wonders if that's a good thing or bad thing with this score :?

It wouldn't be out of place to release long albums as double-disc sets while keeping the price. Composers would't have to worry about the length of the cues to fit on one album but most importantly there would be no reason to call some cues "unreleased" anymore. Plus you get the time for tea break between the two discs.

Deep Impact, The Perfect Storm, Flightplan, The Missing, Iris, Enemy at The Gates are all written in that form.

Still I don't see whether Horner re-arranges and re-records the music for score albums or what he pens for the movie is in that form already.

I'm not a Horner fan (I only like his most famous stuff, with exception to Titanic) but I had to check this score out, partly because the movie looks very inspiring.

Might have been mentioned before, but you can listen to the whole CD at http://thenewworldmovie.com/ (under features, score)

I've already heard Deep Impact, Titanic and Beautiful Mind so far in the first 3 tracks, in fact you could interchange it for any of these scores without noticing. Good stuff though :sigh:

:) A Flame Within (Wow 8O )

Just after the first few seconds of First Landing I can tell this is similar to Troy in atmosphere. And richuk, you may be right, I've never heard those scores you mentioned. But if the score is good, like you said, it should be twice as good for me because I've never heard those scores so I won't be irritated by possible ripoffs. ;)

The theme from The Missing is all over this score.

Why doesn't that surprise me a bit :roll:

Is bird chirping in the CD too? (COMPETITTION: Who can indentify the species? :angry: ) They are beautiful but thanks i prefer Isolated scores as opossed to SFX boots...

And this is a Pocahontas movie?

'Listen to the Wind' is the name of the song. Great, unless this is some 'Pocahontas motto', Horner is also starting to plagiarise track titles!

Is bird chirping in the CD too? (COMPETITTION: Who can indentify the species?

Mocking bird?

I think it is the peregrin, but pigeons can survive an attack due to their abbility make sharp and close turns to evade. (I'll post a funny thing in the 'birdshit' thread related more or less with this 8O )

I have seen peregrines getting a pigeon without his dive attack, i think.

Wrong, both the pidgeon and the peregrin have can reach exactly the same flight velocity, 96 KMPH

However the Peregrin can only reach that speed for several minutes, while a pidgeon can fly at it's top speeds for hours.

Stefancos- watching Animal Planet.

U phukin' sux! ;) I knew you had to be asking with the facts in your hands... As you can see, Pigeons and Peregrines are a fine example of coevolution.

Yeah, pigeons have great pectoral muscles, BTW since falcons usually hunt diving, it's no great deal to the pigeon in the end 8O

Oh, funny thing posted already.

i saw it on tv here too!

'Look mom it's an oriole!' :rool: (though there is not any in the clock... must be the US version)

I thought it would be funny to have. But i rethought. i think the incessant pounding of the bird chants

everyhour would be a little annoying in the end. Specially when the birds are:

Red-Tailed Hawk

Eastern Screech-Owl

Steller's Jay

Acorn Woodpecker.