Happy 40th Anniversary Thunderball!

Lurker

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Score-wise, it feels like Goldfinger II. Thunderball the song sounds like an alternate of Goldfinger. Thunderball's probably my 2nd fave Bond score. It's jazzier, bigger, but not as elegant. "Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" is all right, but it's not the same as "Alpine Drive". There's no equivalent to "Oddjob's Pressing Engagement", but it's cool that Barry wrote "OO7" back into a film, which is in prime-form during the end and in 'Street Chase'. For some reason, I just like Goldfinger more. Thunderball's bigger and longer, but something's missing.

A question: when talking about James Bond's code name, is it spelled with the "O" (the letter o) or with the "0" (the number zero)? I ask this because James Bond is known here in Italy as agent zero-zero-seven, and this made me think if it was right, because the other people at MI6 are named with letters...

In From Russia With Love, Grant calls him "O O" (Oh-Oh) as does Bond historian Steven Jay Rubin on the banned Criterion commentary track found on laser disc.

However, on-screen in You Only Live Twice, Bond is referred to as "00" (zero zero), implying it's numbers. The song "Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" contains the lyric "That's why the zeroes double" but that song was never used. So if it doesn't appear on-screen, does that make it canon?

Neil