Mission Impossible 3

Damo

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Orchestral mission impossible theme in that trailer sounds like it been modernised. Comparing to the First mission impossible movie theme adapted by Danny Elfman and this mission impossible theme in the trailer. You can hear the this mordernised theme on the Offical Mission Impossiblesite but the flash quality of that mission impossible site isn't as good as one in the trailer.

Erik Woods confirmed it's an arrangement by Michael Giacchino here. And it's a pretty bitchin' one too.

This movie has to be pretty horrific to be worse than the last one. The involvement of JJ Abrams sounds promising, and Philip Seymour Hoffman is in this, so that should be another reason to at least keep an eye out for this movie. Let's just hope Mr. Cruise can keep the self-indulgent smirking scenes to a minimum.

- Marc, who considers Cruise's presence the #1 flaw of M:I-2

Can't wait to see Hoffman, Like seeing Fishburne and Rhames, am sure Giacchino will give a good score. The film looks terrible, the arrangement of the theme SUCKS. It's choppy, uninventive, and the brass playing sounds off to me.

Shouldn't my opinion on this be more convincing, than? I'm saying this MV sounding arrangment sucks, and I am partial to a lot of MV stuff (or you could just listen to it yourself and be the judge....).

Shouldn't my opinion on this be more convincing, than? I'm saying this MV sounding arrangment sucks, and I am partial to a lot of MV stuff (or you could just listen to it yourself and be the judge....).

mmm... Were you talking about MI2?

I thought you still was talking about 3 (but re-reading i saw you wanted to see those actors and that giacchino wil deliver a good score...)

If not.. i dont fing any MV arrangement in the mi3 trailer :?

I thought you still was talking about 3 (but re-reading i saw you wanted to see those actors and that giacchino wil deliver a good score...)

Well, the only thing I hear that sounds special about it is the percussion in the middle, which does have an MV sound to it. Either way, this arrangement is nothing special, I don't understand what people hear in it.

Well, the only thing I hear that sounds special about it is the percussion in the middle, which does have an MV sound to it. Either way, this arrangement is nothing special, I don't understand what people hear in it.

I just find there orchestral instruments and a trademark anvil...

The music was all right. Nothing to write home about. The trailer started well enough but ended up just dull and uninteresting.

Justin

• 4 years later...

So I went over to the ASCAP site and although the Mission: Impossible cues weren't listed under that title, I went through all of the Giacchino cues and selected the ones that have Sony as publisher, and this is what I came up with. Now, I'm just guessing what these titles stand for, so if anyone can help and/or correct me, please do. I did leave out the familiar titles from the OST, and also things like "Humpty Dumpty Sat on a Wall Parts 1 & 2" and "Humpty Dumpty Sat on a Wall Part 3". Typos are also on the ASCAP site.

Boom A: no idea whatsoever, perhaps the cue between Factory Rescue and Evacuation?

Boom B: no idea whatsoever, there's some brief percussion when the van in Berlin blows up, perhaps it's that?

Can You Shoot Me Now?: the Shanghai car chase scene

Congratulations: guess: Luther congratulates Ethan at the Vatican, so this one is perhaps for one of those Vatican cues that make up 'Masking Agent', 4m4 of 4m5. However, at ASCAP there's also a cue called "Masking Agent Part I" (no part II though).

Damn Telemarketers: the phone call at the party?

Ethan Finds Julia: Ethan finding Julia & Davian coming in, I presume

Gotta Protect the Jules: wild guess, could be the cue right after the Bridge Battle when he phones home

Jules Get Shot: the reprise of the prologue scene I guess

The Anti-God: the first talk of the Rabbit's foot in IMF headquarters at the beginning

World's Worst Limo Bar: the rendez-vous scene after the Shanghai heroics

What Was in Lindsey's Message?: the interrogation/explanation scene near the end

See Chopper Fly: 2m4a or 2m4b perhaps? (One of the cues that constitute Helluvacopter Chase?) Or: could be what I described under "Boom B": that percussion that underscores the enemy chopper fly through the explosion of the van

Shoot! Your Leg!: would this perhaps be the prologue scene? Davian shoots 'Julia' in the leg, if I'm not mistaken?

Snee King Inn: wild guess, perhaps the very short cue when Ethan is on the move to the bathroom in the Vatican scenes? ('sneaking in')

The Cute Rebels: wild guess, perhaps this is for the brief quieter scene with Zhen praying in the van for Ethan in Shanghai (I think it's 7m2)

The Wedding: the wedding scene

Viewmaster 2000: presentation of the mission, at the beginning

World Worst Bathroom Stall: I guess it's the very short cue right after that other short cue, with Davian going into the bathroom

The complete recording sessions of MI3 are out there. Do you not have them?

Well, my version doesn't have the original cue titles, so I went looking for them.

Also, check out my post in the Giacchino thread for an addition to that.

Mission: Impossible III Editing Guide

01 Shoot! Your Leg! 2.40
1m1

02 Mission: Impossible Theme - Main Title 0.37
1m2

03 Damn Telemarketers 0.35
1m6

04 Viewmaster 2000 2.21
1m9r

05 Factory Rescue 4.14
ost 2

06 Evacuation (Alternate) 4.40
2m2r

07 Helluvacopter Chase 3.29
2m4a & 2m4b

08 Special Agent Lindsey Farris Pt 1 (Film Version) / Ethan and Julia 2.15
ost5 0:00-1:00 & 3m1 alt

09 Special Agent Lindsey Farris Pt 2 (Film Version) 3.17
ost 5: 1.00-end

10 The Anti-God 0.38
3m3

11 The Wedding 3.11
3m4 alt

12 Humpty Dumpty Sat on a Wall 5.55
4m1r & 4m2 & 4m3

13 Masking Agent 3.43
4m4 & 4m5

14 Snee King Inn 0.36
4m7

15 World’s Worst Bathroom Stall 0.20
4m8

16 Voice Capture 2.13
ost track 9 (use ost track because of glitch in 4m9)
use clean opening of 4m9

17 See You in the Sewer 2.14
4m10
watch out: edit out very short glitch at the beginning (because of the glitch there’s a repetition of a very, very short fragment), right after the 6th second, to get it on beat again.

18 Davian’s Brought In 2.07
5m2

19 Bridge Battle 5.21
5m3a & 5m3b-c & 5m3d
(watch out: edit a portion of the ost track into 5m3b-c, it has a glitch)

20 Gotta Protect the Jules 0.29
6m1

21 Davian Gets the Girl (Alternate) 2.58
ost track 13 0.00-1.37 & 6m2b (around 0.50-end)
(used ost track to cover up glitch in 6m2b)
The rec. sessions track has in fact a slightly alternate ending. I still used that here because right after 1.37 the ost track is micro-edited.

22 IMF Escape 2.44
6m3a & 6m13b

23 Disguise the Limit 4.46
6m5-7
(watch out: beginning Disguise the Limit has glitch, begin with ost track to cover it up and then mix into 6m5-7)

24 Shang Way High 3.39
7m1r

25 The Chutist 3.20
7m2 & 7m3-4a & 7m3-4b

26 Can You Shoot Me Now?
7m5r2 & track from Peter Boyer’s website

27 World’s Worst Limo Bar 2.02
7m5b

28 Jules Gets Shot 1.48
7m6

29 What Was in Lindsey’s Message? 4.20
7m7 additional & 7m7

30 Hunting for Jules 3.55
watch out: use ost track Hunting for Jules instead of 7m8 & 7m9: 7m8 is very wrongly mixed
(this time the ost track covers 7m8 & 9 entirely)

31 Ethan Finds Julia 2.03
8m1
(cue in fact segues into the following track, but I preferred the following as a stand-alone track.)

32 World’s Worst Last 4 Minutes to Live 4.22
8m2 & 8m3

33 Reparations 5.43
8m4
insert beginning of ost Reparations track into 8m4, in the place of the respective section

34 Mission: Impossible Theme – End Titles
ost 1

35 Factory Rescue (Alternate) 1.49
2m1rb

36 Evacuation (Film Version) 2.46
ost 3

37 Special Agent Lindsey Farris Pt 1 (Alternate)
2m5r2

38 Special Agent Lindsey Farris Pt 2 (Alternate)
3m2

39 Davian Gets the Girl (Film Version Ending) 1.06
ost 13 1.38-end
(the very beginning of this track is not the “film version” of course, as it’s the micro-edited album version; it’s the ending that’s different.)

40 What Was in Lindsey’s Message? (Alternate) 1.10
7m7 alt

41 Reparations (Alternate) 3.33
(1st part is alternate, 2nd part is album version)
8m4 & ost track
take the previously edited-out middle section of 8m4: fade in, and tag the second part of the ost Reparations track onto it.
This makes for a nice last bonus track, and you can then close your edit off with Schifrin and Variations, like on the album.

42 Schifrin and Variations
ost

Remarks:
- Track titles for non-album tracks have been taken from ASCAP cues (see list below). However, it's very much possible I have misnamed some.
- I used the recording sessions versions for as much tracks as possible. Mix is slightly different, and the OST tracks are often micro-edited. However, the quality is often a bit less, too, with some pops and crackles occasionally (besides the already mentioned glitches). See for instance the Bridge Battle cues.
- There are occasional silences within tracks that can be edited out which are not mentioned here.
- Some other cues, not mentioned here, also follow each other directly, but I thought they worked better as standalone tracks.

ASCAP cue names:
Boom A
Boom B
Can You Shoot Me Now?
Congratulations
Damn Telemarketers
Ethan Finds Julia
Gotta Protect the Jules
Jules Get Shot
The Anti-God
World's Worst Limo Bar
What Was in Lindsey's Message?
See Chopper Fly
Shoot! Your Leg!
Snee King Inn
The Cute Rebels
The Wedding
Viewmaster 2000
World Worst Bathroom Stall

Fommes, this editing guide has been on my to-do list for some time now. Thanks for saving me a bit of effort! :cool:

Incidentally, though... sure 1m6 isn't "Damn Telemarketers"? The name fits the scene.

Yes I forgot to mention, sorry, Luke S.'s excel list was really the starting point, credit and many thanks to him, but I've made some changes and a bunch of additions. It's taken more work than I had imagined, what with all the glitches and the combining of tracks.

Incidentally, though... sure 1m6 isn't "Damn Telemarketers"? The name fits the scene.

Now adjusted, thanks very much! I needed the DVD handy for this guide, but haven't watched it again from beginning to end yet. Any other suggestions re: the guide and/or the cue titles are most welcome.

OK, I just watched the film and updated the ASCAP cue list above; I think I've got reasonable guesses for all of them. Any corrections always welcome, of course.

• 10 years later...
On 1/3/2006 at 6:34 PM, TIEfighter said:

that trailer is just BAD....it´s not interesting, poorly edited, poorly paced....just bad...

Where did people watched trailers on the internet before YouTube?