Soundtrack Collection

Ontyrian

Hello. I want to know what you all think of my collection. (I hope I don't bore you to death :sleepy: ... :mrgreen: )

Shore The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: The Complete Recordings !!!!!!! (The Best...until the other 2 arrive :mrgreen: ... Then they'll all be the Best as "one")

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (OST)

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (OST)

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (OST)

Williams Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace: The Ultimate Edition (Hah, hah!...ultimate...hah! ;) )

Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace (OST)

Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope: The Special Edition (1997)

Star Wars: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back: The Special Edition (1997)

Star Wars: Episode VI: Return of the Jedi: The Special Edition (1997)

Star Wars: Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (National Philharmonic Orchestra; 1983)

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Superman: The Movie (Rhino Records; 2000)

Jurassic Park

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

John Williams Greatest Hits 1969-1999

Rozsa Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (Rhino Records; 1996)

King of Kings (Rhino Records; 2002)

Debney CutThroat Island (Silva; OST)

The Passion of the Christ

Gregson-Williams Kingdom of Heaven

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (OST)

Shearmur Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Fenton Anna and the King

Horner Braveheart (OST)

Titanic (OST)

Troy

Vangelis Alexander

1492: Conquest of Paradise

Zimmer King Arthur

Zimmer/Gerrard Gladiator

More Music From Gladiator

Badelt Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Rosenman The Lord of the Rings (Animated Film)

Howard Peter Pan

Video Games

Soule Icewind Dale

Bajakian Star Wars: Dark Forces (Unofficial ?)

Books

McNeely Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

Special Events (Olympics)

Williams Summon The Heroes

American Journey

Opera

Wagner Der Ring Des Nibelungen (Solti; All 14.5 hrs of it-version)

Non-orchestral Film Music

Faltermeyer Top Gun

Well, I hope you're still awake! It should be obvious as to who my 2 favorite composers are... :P So, what do ya think? This is my collection of 4.5 years. I owe it to my brother and JW for helping me to get into film music. I listened to the SW: OT: SE soundtracks and "fell in love" :) . Now LOTR is my favorite!!! Feel free to post your own collections (no matter how long they are ;) ).

I just bought (the day after Christmas): Braveheart, Narnia, and Harry Potter. I've listened to them 1 time as of right now. LOTR: FOTR: CR.......I'm almost pooped out... :baaa::mrgreen: !!! My Christmas gift was Wagner's Ring Cycle. I've only listened to the 1st opera (but I love it!)(might make a good film...but I haven't read/listened to the rest). Top Gun is (was) my brother's. I only listen to track 10- the anthem. It's awesome! It makes me want to write music for rock & orchestra...Hah! :mrgreen: I hope I'll be adding many more soundtracks, etc. to my collection!

I just noticed something: SW: Dark Forces- the music for Fest Research Facility- the beginning of it reminds me of "The Threat of Mordor" motive from LOTR. 8O Oh, well...

Happy New Year (for those of you celebrating a new year right now)!!!

Later...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a nice collection, but you don't have enough Williams. And get yourself much more Goldsmith, Herrmann and Jarre. Put a little North, a little more James Newton Howard and a certain score by Basil Poledouris.

Good start.

You absolutely need Goldsmith scores.

Check out all the samples on the various sites-- by the way, FSM is considering replacing its complete tracks by one complete track and 30-second samples: quickly go listen to as many and possible;, you will find many gems.

Well, I guess I need to get some Goldsmith, eh? A few soundtracks on my list to buy are from him. For some reason I really want to get the 13th Warrior. Thanks for your opinions (except nightscape94 :mrgreen::mrgreen: ) and keep them coming. Post your own collections too (at least favorites). Have a good day! :mrgreen:

For some reason I really want to get the 13th Warrior. Thanks for your opinions (except nightscape94  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen: ) and keep them coming.  

For a good reason, too!

The Thirteen Warrior is very good; you might want The Mummy as well; composed about the same time, and even more adventurous.

:mrgreen:

And once you get The Mummy, check out Alan Silvestri's The Mummy Returns too.

And, if you liked them, and want to complete it all, John Debney has scored The Scorpion King. Not as great as the other two, but not a bad one. But I see you already have THE Debney's gem... :mrgreen:

If you like Wagner's 'Ring Cycle', may I suggest the newer recording that Marek Janowski conducted. It was released about 2 years ago, and sounds fantastic. Also, Barenboim released a set a few months ago (I'm a fan of his Tannhauser).

And, of course, Bohm and Karajan have great sets.

In the way of score music, definitely get some James Newton Howard. The King Kong score is fantastic. I would also suggest Signs and Snow Falling on Cedars.

You also need to get your hands on Williams' E.T. (at the very least).

Hopefully this makes up for having me flushed down the toilet.

Tim

Also get Goldsmith's Air Force One score. Grant there is very little on the OST but there's an almost complete (missing one cue) score by him and McNeely with excellent quality sound that is highly recommended.

Edit: The almost complete score is a bootleg by the way...lol

It's a nice collection, but you don't have enough Williams. And get yourself much more Goldsmith, Herrmann and Jarre. Put a little North, a little more James Newton Howard and a certain score by Basil Poledouris.

He's right, get yourself some more Williams and you've got yourself a quality collection.

Which one? Conan The Barbarian?

Which one? Conan The Barbarian?

More likely it's Hunt for Red October. :mrgreen:

Conan The Barbarian

Lonesome Dove

RoboCop

The Hunt For Red October

Conan The Destroyer

Then you'll be allright.

Justin - Who'll throw in Quigley Down Under for a bonus point.

Or Vangelis. ;)

Justin

A must for any serious music listener. :)

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :?

8O

:mrgreen:

Tim

I see you are not one.

I'm a serious music listener, yes, but a Vangelis fanatic I am not.

Needless to say, you can be one without the other.

Tim

I see you are not a fan of sarcasm either. :mrgreen:

If you're into Star Trek, I recommend the complete score for Goldsmiths: Star Trek The Motion Picture...it is a bootleg...

Also James Horner's Star Trek's II and III, only OST's available for those.

Goldsmiths: Star Trek V again only OST available.

Cliff Eidelman's: Star Trek VI OST only available

Goldsmiths: Star Trek's First Contact Complete available in bootleg form, Insurrection expanded and Nemesis the 2-disc set.

which? Conan, Hunt for the Red October or Robocop? (I personally like Conan and October a lot and LOVE Robocop) :mrgreen:

Ontyrian, try adding Horner's Legends of the Fall to your must buy list too. 8O

Empire of the sun would make a nice addition to your Williams collection. I was fortunate enough to get it free from my local library along with the most recent Jaws soundtrack.

As it seems, I am the only hardcore-silvestri fan here, so i will recommend to expand your collection with some Silvestri:

For drama:

Forrest Gump (score OST)

Cast Away (theme from Zemeckis-Silvestri compilation)

Contact (score OST)

The Bodyguard (bootleg)

For action/adventure:

Back To The Future 3 (OST)

The Mummy Returns (OST)

Judge Dredd (OST)

Predator (varese CD)

For insane comedy fun:

Mouse Hunt (OST + 2-CD bootleg)

The Odd Couple 2 (OST)

Super Mario Bros (bootleg)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (OST + 2-CD bootleg)

For breathless orchestral amazement:

The Abyss (OST)

Siegfried & Roy: The Magic Box (bootleg)

The Polar Express (promo + OST)

Furthermore, i can only agree to the others who recommended to get more Williams 8O

Maybe some Bill Conti (Victory, F.I.S.T.) or Elmer Bernstein (The Great Escape, The Ten Commandments, Stripes, To Kill A Mockingbird) as well? :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone for your recommendations! I'm definitely going to get more Williams. I'm avoiding bootlegs and such for now. I really want to get the complete CutThroat Island! Legends of the Fall is another I really want to get. I'd like to get a few from the Golden Age. I'd also like a few thousand dollars to help pay for all of these that I want. 8O Thank you nightscape94 for your recommendations. I'll go fetch the plunger now :mrgreen::) !!!

Go to Varese Sarabande's Club section and FSM's CD section and if you can afford it get CDs that feature music written before 1980.

Get some Newman, Rozsa, North, Bernstein, Waxman and Herrmann to start with.

I really want to get the complete CutThroat Island!  Legends of the Fall is another I really want to get.
That one comes highly recommended in my book. Most of the additional tracks are great or at least have some great parts. It isn't all as breathtaking as the tracks on the OST, but few tracks are dull. And you get the full Battle music, which is worth the money on it's own. The bonus tracks aren't very interesting, but the original synth demo from the main theme is. This is one of my absolute all-time favourite soundtracks and one I wouldn't want to live without. :mrgreen: