WindEnsemble performance of Star Wars Themes and The Planets

Saxman717

For anyone new to the board and for those who missed these links last time, here's a repost of The Planets and of the Donald Hundsburger Suite of Star Wars themes performed by the Fall 2001 Cornell University Wind Symphony.....enjoy! And thanks again to ecurbh for allowing me to post them on his FTP!

-Steve

www.ecurbh.com/~saxman/cu_wind_symphony_imperial_march.mp3

www.ecurbh.com/~saxman/cu_wind_symphony_leia_theme.mp3

www.ecurbh.com/~saxman/cu_wind_symphony_battle_in_the_forest.mp3

www.ecurbh.com/~saxman/cu_wind_symphony_yoda_theme_main_title_encore.mp3

www.ecurbh.com/~saxman/cu_wind_symphony_mars.mp3

www.ecurbh.com/~saxman/cu_wind_symphony_venus.mp3

www.ecurbh.com/~saxman/cu_wind_symphony_jupiter.mp3

www.ecurbh.com/~saxman/cu_wind_symphony_uranus.mp3

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hunsberger is retiring?

He will be missed as a conductor...he was awesome! :cry: I had a great time performing under his baton.

BTW saxman...are you at Eastman, and if not, what wind-ensemble are you in?

Yup, Hunsberger is throwing in the towel after like 30-40 years of conducting......you were conducted by him? Were you at Eastman? I'm at Cornell University now, a Junior studying electrical engineering, and am in the wind ensemble here.

A concert note: The Encore of Imperial March after the Star Wars Main Theme was conducted by "Darth Vader", Mark Scatterday wearing a full vader outfit......the depth and intensity of the encore compared to the 1st movement when it was played is considerably greater....playing the theme of the character who was conducting us was truely one of the most awesome musical moments of my life so far. Everyone was so completely into it! Can any of you sense the difference in intensity? I sure can(especially having played in it), and I think it's really cool.

Nah...I never went to Eastman. I'm headed off to medical school next year, but sometimes I wish I did go to Eastman...lol. I was priveleged enough to be under Hunsberger's baton at the mid-continental music conference in Chicago a few years ago during my high school years. Man was it a blast.

So out of curiousity Saxman, what is your fondest memory of wind ensemble (besides the awesome one you just mentioned of being conducted by Darth Vader...LOL!). Mine would have to be playing "To Tame the Perilous Skies" under Holsinger's Baton at All-State a few years back.

btw....great recordings. You guys are good! I have a recording of you guys playing the last movement from Shostakovich's "Symphony 5", and man, it is one of the best wind-ensemble performances I have ever heard.

Haha, too many cows and farms rogueleader? It's nice but doesn't have much city life :) just lots and lots of frats :roll: Hey we played To Tame the Perilous Skies my freshman year, that was fun.....really really intense piece of music. Hmmmm, fondest memory of wind ensemble......there have been many! One of the most recent ones was this past semester......in 1 concert we played pieces by 3 of my favorite wind ensemble composers, Ticheli, Husa, and Hindemith. We played Postcard, and I had a bunch of sax solos in there, and Music for Prague 1968, the most intense piece of music I've ever played, with the 2nd movement being a sax quintet(with Bass sax!!) with the wind ensemble accompanying, and then the 4th Movement (the March) from Hindemith's Metamorphosis. That concert ties the "Space-Themed" concert as my favorite ever....and both happened in the same year! Last year is going to be hard to top ;)

Wow...that sounded like an intense concert. Hindemith's "Symphonic Metamorphosis" is definitely one of my favs.

Now this is f-ed up. Right now as I am reading your post, I am listening to "Blue Shades"! I mean, I saw the name Tichelli and I was like damn!

ahhh "Blue Shades"...now that is a fun peice to play!

Yeah lots of people shy away from Ithaca 'cause it's like hicksville :-) Where'd u end up rogueleader? Blue Shades was the first Ticheli piece I ever played, we played it in my HS wind ensemble and yeah that was our favorite piece throughout all of HS. It remains one of my absolute favs to this day! Postcard is right alongside it 'cause it is so similar....you heard that one?

Oh yeah...it's on my favorite "Wind-ensemble" CD that has my favorite wind ensemble peice ever --> Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra playing:

Celebration - Phillip Sparke ---> My favorite peice ever! :)

Apocolyptic Dreams - David Gillingham

Armenian Dances - Alfred Reed

Postcards - Frank Ticheli

Though i've never got to play postcards, I must say that it is a very idiosyncratic and syncopated peice. I bet it would be fun to play!

I actually ended up going to the University of Virginia for a few years until I went back closer to home.

Anyway, as for the music, its really good. However, hearing this makes me want to hear a NON-LUCAS edited Williams Prequel SW score release even more.