March 28 - Kunzel Star Wars, Harry Potter, LOTR CD

Lurker

Telarc will be releasing a Super Audio CD of music from Star Wars, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings called "Fantasies". I don't know what will be on it, but here are some of the details.

Telarc SACD-60664 - Fantasies: Music from Star Wars, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings - Erich Kunzel, Cincinnati Pops Orchestra

This will be a hybrid disc, so it can play on any CD player, and I'm sure a standard CD will be issued, but what's the point in buying that?

Neil

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What? Im not entitled to my opinion? I saw Kunzel conduct a 4th of July Concert and the whole presentation of it was sooo incredibly stinky of beef and cheese that I had to flip the channel. Kunzel conducted and it was incredibly dry with absolute no substance. I know that Cinncinati is a great pops orchestra but I really dont think hes that good of a conductor. The arrangements that his orchestra plays arent great, and he always is doing something mainstream. Ive never heard or seen Kunzel doing anything besides movie music and pops. At least WIlliams takes the liberty to write beautiful concertos and concert pieces. And he is a great conductor.

I do find that the CPO/Kunzel albuns from the 90's and on, are just that great... I do find they are all great musicians, but I don't find them all that hot as they were in the 80's.

Also, recently they will rather record arrangements instead of the originals, only God know why...

(and yes, I read his FSM interview, but I don't buy it all...)

Personally, i do enjoy much more Williams and the Boston musicians, or their current conductor, Keith Lockhart.

What? Im not entitled to my opinion? I saw Kunzel conduct a 4th of July Concert and the whole presentation of it was sooo incredibly stinky of beef and cheese that I had to flip the channel. Kunzel conducted and it was incredibly dry with absolute no substance.  I know that Cinncinati is a great pops orchestra but I really dont think hes that good of a conductor. The arrangements that his orchestra plays arent great, and he always is doing something mainstream. Ive never heard or seen Kunzel doing anything besides movie music and pops. At least WIlliams takes the liberty to write beautiful concertos and concert pieces. And he is a great conductor.

So what's your definition of a "great" conductor? You saw one performance so that makes Kunzel a terrible conductor? And he is also a terrible conductor because he conducts movie music and 'popular' music with a 'Pops' orchestra?

Actually, if you listen to Kunzel's albums... most of the time he is very faithful to the original material in both energy and tempo. Yes, his more recent albums aren't as good as his early works (especially some of the arrangements) but I'd have to say that Three Choral Suites by Miklos Rozsa was one of the most impressive albums released in 2005. While the recording wasn't great, Kunzel was pretty faithful to the original material.

-Erik-

What? Im not entitled to my opinion? I saw Kunzel conduct a 4th of July Concert and the whole presentation of it was sooo incredibly stinky of beef and cheese that I had to flip the channel. Kunzel conducted and it was incredibly dry with absolute no substance.  I know that Cinncinati is a great pops orchestra but I really dont think hes that good of a conductor. The arrangements that his orchestra plays arent great, and he always is doing something mainstream. Ive never heard or seen Kunzel doing anything besides movie music and pops. At least WIlliams takes the liberty to write beautiful concertos and concert pieces. And he is a great conductor.

no, you are not. :) Not when you make a blanket statement that he IS the worst ever.

just say you don't like him, but by saying his music is the worst ever, then you are also attacking John Williams too, or did you not realize that.

Sorry to be so offensive in my opinion. You can all think Im wrong. Fine. I think a great conductor knows so much "outside the box", and can give artistic communication to the orchestra. Kunzel I just dont like. Sorry. Get the CD for all I care really.